Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Louisville claiming they won 1948 Championship

Featured Replies

In truth, I'd be a little more sympathetic to this if UK's official athletic site didn't claim a football championship in 1950 that they didn't win. :D

 

They did retroactively win the Sagarin version. Football is a whole different (and stupid) animal. So many teams could claim a championship because there are so many organizations that hand them out. And in 1950 the AP and UPI handed out theirs before the bowls, which is why Oklahoma won it at all. Tennessee probably would have won it had they taken into account postseason games.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In truth, I'd be a little more sympathetic to this if UK's official athletic site didn't claim a football championship in 1950 that they didn't win. :D

 

UK has football?

The NIT was a big deal for many decades. But as the NCAA tourney took in more teams, the number of quality squads going to the NIT faded. This is what makes the difference IMO.

 

Winning the NIT in the 50's, 60's or 70's was still a big feat. But it lost it's luster with each decade and the expansion of the NCAA to 24 teams, 32 and 48 by '79 put an end to how good that tourney could be. By the 50's I don't think anyone confused the NIT champ with the National Title winners of the day.

In truth, I'd be a little more sympathetic to this if UK's official athletic site didn't claim a football championship in 1950 that they didn't win. :D

 

I think people start "fishing" for things to be proud of when you don't have a long history in your program to point out to others.

It's really no different than UNC of all people.

 

When Duke had won three National Titles (at the time the same as UNC had), the Tar Heel sports department began marketing their 1924 Helms Foundation championship as part of their total of National Titles.

 

I called more than a few UNC fans on that one and told them if we are going to count Helms then UK has 9, not 7 National Titles. (at the time that was the count)

 

Counting Helms' titles is a lot more justified IMO (but you can believe I don't let UNC fans I know get away with it). There wasn't an NCAA title at that point.

 

Again, UK has 12 using this method, and is tied with UCLA (who has 11 NCAA and 1 NIT).

It's really no different than UNC of all people.

 

When Duke had won three National Titles (at the time the same as UNC had), the Tar Heel sports department began marketing their 1924 Helms Foundation championship as part of their total of National Titles.

 

I called more than a few UNC fans on that one and told them if we are going to count Helms then UK has 9, not 7 National Titles. (at the time that was the count)

 

I've seen a lot of complaints about UNC claiming the Helms title. I didn't even know what they were at the time.

I guess I'm in the minority of people on here....I mean, who gives a rat's behind? Seriously?

  • Author

I could care less that they are doing it, I just find it odd and dumb that they would.

As a UofL fan I only care about two titles (1980 & 1986). All the others happened before my time. Its okay to hang banners from what you accomplished then but in todays world the NCAA title is the only one recognized.

UL wants to be UK.

 

#Louisvillehateday

UL wants to be UK.

 

#Louisvillehateday

 

We'll see on Sunday who wants to be who.

We'll see on Sunday who wants to be who.

 

In football, I really don't think I want to be either one.

In football, I really don't think I want to be either one.

 

Definitely wouldn't want to be UK though.

In football, I really don't think I want to be either one.

 

True but I have to agree with SC. Better to be football Cards than football Cats. The joker's on us.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.