Blockbuster deal with Red Sox and Dodgers

Looks like minor leaguers as well.

In addition to Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett, the Dodgers will get veteran utility infielder Nick Punto, according to four people familiar with the details of the trade. The Dodgers will send the Red Sox a package that includes first baseman James Loney and four minor leaguers: right-handers Rubby De La Rosa and Allen Webster, outfielder Jerry Sands and infielder Ivan De Jesus Jr.

Dodgers flash the cash in deal for Adrian Gonzalez - latimes.com

So basically, other than Loney, the Red Sox got nothing from the Dodgers. Don't really know much about the pitchers, but the two infielders aren't much. I'm a little surprised Selig would allow this deal. I'm very confident Bowie Kuhn never would have.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically, other than Loney, the Red Sox got nothing from the Dodgers. Don't really know much about the pitchers, but the two infielders aren't much. I'm a little surprised Selig would allow this deal. I'm very confident Bowie Kuhn never would have.

You say they got nothing. I say they freed up $260M.

You say they got nothing. I say they freed up $260M.

I understand that part, I'm just saying the players they got in return aren't the type of players that are going to help Boston any. Very similar situation to the 70's when Finley tried to sell all of his top players. The commissioners office vetoed the Vida Blue deal with the Reds claiming the deal wasn't in the best interest of baseball.

Since last September the Red Sox are over 20 games under .500, time to blow it up. Free up payroll and have money to spend again. Crawford will never be what he was in St. Petersburg. Becket is past his prime. Gonzalez is the only current superstar caliber player in the deal. The big names make it a lopsided trade but the Red Sox did just fine in dumping payroll and getting quality young arms.

Sands is younger than I thought. I just remember him coming up last year, and not showing much. The pitchers look pretty good. Not as bad a deal as I originally thought as far as the players Boston is getting back.

The Dodgers pulled De La Rosa off waivers Friday after the Blue Jays claimed him. That means that, if the Red Sox were to trade for him, he couldn't be acquired until after the season, and likely for a player to be named later. But De La Rosa wouldn't be the only arm in the deal. Right-handed pitcher Allen Webster, 22, may also be part of the trade. Webster has blossomed into one of the impact prospects in the team's minor league system, posting a 3.55 ERA and racking up 117 strikeouts in 27 starts in Double-A. Webster is known as a ground ball pitcher, but he's been coveted before -- Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein is said to have wanted him in exchange for Ryan Dempster. If Epstein was eyeing Webster, it's likely Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington is familiar with him, too. Another notable name in the trade would be Jerry Sands. Once the organization's Minor League Player of the Year in 2010, the 24-year-old was somewhat surpassed by other youngsters in the farm system earlier this year. Despite a lackluster stint in the majors this year -- Sands hit .174 in nine games -- he has been raking in Triple-A Albuquerque, launching 24 home runs and 101 RBIs in 109 games. A change of scenery and an opportunity could be beneficial for the outfielder.

Read more at: Rubby De La Rosa, Allen Webster Would Bring Youth, Talented Pitching Arms to the Red Sox - Boston Red Sox - NESN.com

Bizarre ... we've never seen such a salary dump on one team in a single trade. The Dodgers must think they're going to rake in the bucks with new ownership and a potential postseason run. How much you bet ticket prices go up at Chavez Ravine next year?

Crawford was a bad contract from the beginning ... he's a good player, but never developed the power or on-base ability he needed to improve and was really overrated at the end of his Tampa Bay tenure.

Gonzalez is a fine hitter, one of the better ones in baseball, but it's hard to get much equity with his contract. Same with Beckett, who's really good when he's good but he's 32 and throws some clunkers in there every now and then.

Crawford was a bad contract from the beginning ... he's a good player, but never developed the power or on-base ability he needed to improve and was really overrated at the end of his Tampa Bay tenure.

Gonzalez is a fine hitter, one of the better ones in baseball, but it's hard to get much equity with his contract. Same with Beckett, who's really good when he's good but he's 32 and throws some clunkers in there every now and then.

Those guys will love the NL and love the NL West even more.