Cardinals at Reds Series 8/24 thru 8/26/12

LRCW

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defender.

A runner can run anywhere he wants. He can from first to centerfield if he chooses. The only time it matters where he is running is when a defender is trying to make a tag. The "3 feet" rule then comes into play.

I knew it was only applicable when the bolded applied. I grew up with the teaching that you cannot go out of the base path to avoid being tagged. Essentially that is still correct, just that it isn't called the base path. I had the spirit of the law right, if not the letter.

I knew it was only applicable when the bolded applied. I grew up with the teaching that you cannot go out of the base path to avoid being tagged. Essentially that is still correct, just that it isn't called the base path. I had the spirit of the law right, if not the letter.

..which I knew you would. Many think the 3 feet is measured from the white line.

Gotcha. I had this mental picture of someone running from home to first backwards. :lol:

As long as they are in the base path, I don't think it matters if they back up or not. If that were against the rules, we would never have another rundown.

It is a rule strictly for batters running toward first base. Not the other bases.

Cozart

Stubbs

Phillips

Ludwick

Bruce

Frazier

Rolen

Hanigan

Latos

Tonight is the only game I feel the Reds have the better pitcher going. If the Reds can win this one tonight I won't worry as much about the final two games of the series.

Latos has pretty bad numbers vs the Cardinals. Hopefully he is on his game.

If my memory serves me correctly he pitched 7 shutout innings against them in the 1st game after the All-Star game.