Highlands 2012/2013

It really depends on what kind of size they have on the post. Witte, True, Gronotte and Feggins are gonna have to attack the glass and Turner's length and aggressiveness will help as well. Point guard will also be a concern but I think they have the athleticism to hang with teams and possibly be a spoiler.

Granted, I didn't catch many games live last year....but the ones I did, the Birds never USED the size they had in the paint. I hope they really work on their entry passing into the post (gotta fake a pass to make a pass...ever hear of a bounce pass?). Point guard should be the emphasis of need...and pleeeeease fast break when you have the numbers, don't have capable ball handlers pull back and hold it for the PG. Bird's should contend for the region on athletes alone............every year! (

jmho)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of hoops, saw the aforementioned package yesterday and really do not see much different. Seems everything is pretty much the same as last year.

As to contending each and every year on athletes alone, really do not think that can happen in todays basketball. The successful teams have a core of kids that play hoops only and work on their games the entire year. This years senior class has a few, but the next three classes of hoops players consist largely of those that play football. Are they good enough to compete? Yes, but we all know it takes some time to get those shoulder pads off and the jumpshot working. Glad to hear that a few kids have come back to the program that did not play last year and they may be valuable assets down the road.

The contract is nothing more than what any program asks of their players. A tryout policy, list of player and practice standards and expectations.

The important part of the packet is the last line of the tryout policy - "To promote fair team selection, any boy playing a fall sport must sign up for tryouts by October 15th".

With over 50% of your roster involved in another sport for a month and one half after tryouts begin it is imperative to know who will trying out when the football season ends.

Agreed that it takes time to get the shoulder pads off and the jump shots working...especially at HHS where the FB season runs deep most years...but the REAL season in basketball doesn't start until MARCH. By then, the FB guys SHOULD be BB guys.

Granted, I didn't catch many games live last year....but the ones I did, the Birds never USED the size they had in the paint. I hope they really work on their entry passing into the post (gotta fake a pass to make a pass...ever hear of a bounce pass?). Point guard should be the emphasis of need...and pleeeeease fast break when you have the numbers, don't have capable ball handlers pull back and hold it for the PG. Bird's should contend for the region on athletes alone............every year! (

jmho)

Only caught one game last season. 1st round of the regionals. Was it Lloyd? Anyway, to the bolded, Pat Towles had an advantage inside, yet he played most of the game at the top of the key.

Only caught one game last season. 1st round of the regionals. Was it Lloyd? Anyway, to the bolded, Pat Towles had an advantage inside, yet he played most of the game at the top of the key.

Last year was last year, this year is this year and with the personnel they have it really wont matter. True will be the only true post player and he will be counted on more for his offensive stick backs, defense and rebounding. The offense should flow through Turner/Witte/Houliston.

Turner and Witte both avg 8 pts a game but both had some nice double digit scoring games. Houliston is fierce and will attack the rim as good as anyone and he has shown that he can fill it up also. (see last yr's regular season NCC game- 23 pts)

Looking forward to the season, hopefully all the football kids show up healthy and ready.

By the way, you picked a good game to watch if you wanted to see probably the best HS dunk ever in the 9th Region. JMO

Q and any others in the know, could you give me a run down of what you feel will be the varsity roster this season? Be real curious to hear how many kids show up for tryouts on Monday. I have been told that one of the two that was coming back to the basketball team this winter has now decided not to play.

Q and any others in the know, could you give me a run down of what you feel will be the varsity roster this season? Be real curious to hear how many kids show up for tryouts on Monday. I have been told that one of the two that was coming back to the basketball team this winter has now decided not to play.

This is pure speculation but if everyone returns it would likely be the following.

Seniors

Witte-6'2 195

Turner-6'2 170

Gronotte- 6'3 180

Hinkel- 5'9 165

Juniors

Drew Houliston- 6'0 175

Nick True- 6'6 240

Brandon Hergott- 6'1 175

Brian Green - 6'0 170

Brendan Buten- 5'6 150

Luke Brockett- 5'11 150

Sophomores

Jensen Feggins- 6'2 190

Justin Weyer- 6'0 150

Parker Harris - 6'3 165

I May be forgetting someone here but to My knowledge these are probably the top returning players. Only 6 of the aforementioned are not playing football.

I thought Ramey and Whitford were playing?

That may be true, I am not sure but both are sophomores and they will have to earn a spot on the Varsity roster. JOAT seems to think that one of the two you mentioned may have changed his mind.

I talked to Whitford a few weeks ago at a football game and he was still working out with them then.

This is pure speculation but if everyone returns it would likely be the following.

Seniors

Witte-6'2 195

Turner-6'2 170

Gronotte- 6'3 180

Hinkel- 5'9 165

Juniors

Drew Houliston- 6'0 175

Nick True- 6'6 240

Brandon Hergott- 6'1 175

Brian Green - 6'0 170

Brendan Buten- 5'6 150

Luke Brockett- 5'11 150

Sophomores

Jensen Feggins- 6'2 190

Justin Weyer- 6'0 150

Parker Harris - 6'3 165

I May be forgetting someone here but to My knowledge these are probably the top returning players. Only 6 of the aforementioned are not playing football.

So with there being 6 juniors listed, how many of them play JV and take minutes away from younger players? I see Houliston as being varsity only as well as True. Hergott and Buten could be as well. It would appear that Parker Harris may be in the 6'5" range now, so does he get any varsity minutes in the post? Not a lot of size on this team compared to others in NKY which means they will have to play in your face defense and be very strong fundementally. Any idea on the number of kids that they will have for tryouts on Monday from frosh through seniors?

@ RB I was told Whitford has decided not to tryout.

So with there being 6 juniors listed, how many of them play JV and take minutes away from younger players? I see Houliston as being varsity only as well as True. Hergott and Buten could be as well. It would appear that Parker Harris may be in the 6'5" range now, so does he get any varsity minutes in the post? Not a lot of size on this team compared to others in NKY which means they will have to play in your face defense and be very strong fundementally. Any idea on the number of kids that they will have for tryouts on Monday from frosh through seniors?

@ RB I was told Whitford has decided not to tryout.

I would think that Houliston/Hergott/True are all going to be strictly Varsity. I have no clue, I think that will be determined by how practices go and who shows they deserve to dress Varsity only.

Im not so sure about Harris being 6'5, I know he has grown but that is a stretch. I saw him up at the Country Club about 4 weeks ago when he was finishing up a round of golf and he looked about 6'4. I dont think he has the strength to play the post, he is a great passer and can shoot very well. I see him more of a 3 due to his length and ability to run the floor.

I see a JV roster that probably will consists of Feggins/Weyer/Harris, Hall, Salter, OHara (Sophs)/Green/Brockett/Buten, (JRs) and possibly bring up a couple Frosh- Daugherty and ????.