What Do You Do With Ludwick in 2013?

Clyde

Mutual option for next year. My guess is Luddy(my best baseball voice there) will want a 2 or 3 year contract.

How much should the Reds be willing to pay him?

I admit I'm not sure how a mutual option works. Can either side buy out the option, or pick up the option?

I admit I'm not sure how a mutual option works. Can either side buy out the option, or pick up the option?

My "guess" is that both sides can simply say "no" to the other. I'm sure there's an already agreed to $$ figure.

No one is in the wings waiting to replace him so I have to think the Reds are looking to lock him for 2+ years.

My "guess" is that both sides can simply say "no" to the other. I'm sure there's an already agreed to $$ figure.

No one is in the wings waiting to replace him so I have to think the Reds are looking to lock him for 2+ years.

I think the mutual option next year is for 5 million.

I assume either said could say no and the option would be null and void.

I think the mutual option next year is for 5 million.

I assume either said could say no and the option would be null and void.

I think I remember reading the buyout was either half a million or a million. So Ludwick would have to pay the Reds that amount if the Reds wanted to pick up the option, and he wanted to see how much he was worth on the open market?

Id pick up the option don't get stuck with another Grandpa in 2014. Hamilton will be ready by 2014. Have enough firepower with Stubbs, phillips, Votto, Frazier, Cozart, Bruce and hopefully Mesaroco by then:ylsuper:

Picking up the option means you are giving him another year.

I think I remember reading the buyout was either half a million or a million. So Ludwick would have to pay the Reds that amount if the Reds wanted to pick up the option, and he wanted to see how much he was worth on the open market?

I don't think the player has to pay the buyout to the team if he doesn't pick up his half of the option. If he doesn't pick up his half the team simply doesn't have to pay the buyout to the player.

Mutual option for next year. My guess is Luddy(my best baseball voice there) will want a 2 or 3 year contract.

How much should the Reds be willing to pay him?

Two months ago I would have never thought I'd say this but give him most of Rolen's money. I'm not saying $7m per but maybe give him the $5m option he is due if they keep him and add another year though 2014. I really believe he has earned it, .271avg. 23 HRs and 66 RBIs in only about 350 PAs.

Have to hope he keeps passing the drug tests if you're goin to extend him

I know it is blasphemy to suggest this, but given Ludwick's age and the degee of his bounceback this year, I have entertained the same thought.

On a related note, the National League participant in the World Series may sing the praises of Melky, home field advantage and better living through chemistry.