Highlands 6 Newport Central Catholic 5

An absolute shocker here imo. Not taking anything away from the Birds win, just not sure how something like this happens. I guess this is why they play the games.

Not to ruffle any feathers, my comment is based on just the plain facts. Highlands is an extremely young team mixed in with a few veterans by default, but if this game would have been on the board in Vegas, Breds would have been favored by at least 4 just based on the multiple veterans that they bring to the table. JMO.

I know this game really doesnt mean much to some but it means alot to Highlands.

Hope the Birds will enjoy the win tonite and put it behind them tommorow. Hopefully they can take full advantage of the win and the position that this puts them into going into the Regionals and make the most of it and keep building.

A very nice program Win for the Birds..:thumb:

Watched the pitch-by-pitch on my phone while at a work event. Report was that there was a HUGE crowd for the game at Highland Park.

Birds scored 1 in the top of the 2nd. JR Jake Lester reached 1st on a dropped 3rd strike, stole 2nd and was driven home on a 2 out, 2 strike pitch by FR Luke Hennigan. HHS 1 NCC 0

NCC answered with 1 in the bottom of the 2nd. Cain led off with a double and came home on a Miller single. Miller was tagged out at 2B on the hit. HHS 1 NCC 1

NCC went ahead 3-1 in the bottom of the 3rd. Hoffstedder singled, DuPont walked, Hightchew bunts 'em over, Pangallo loads the bases on a HBP. FR Mitchell Jones comes in for HHS relieving SO Joey Cochran. Woltermann singles scoring Hoffstedder and DuPont. Cain grounds to 3B and JR Gabe Schultz cuts down Pangallo at home. Miller strikes out to end the inning. NCC 3 HHS 1

Birds score 3 in the top of the 4th. Schultz walks to lead off the inning. SR Mitch Meyer flies out for the 1st out. Lester reaches on an E6. SO Evan Allen reaches on an E3 to load the bases. Schultz scores on a WP and everybody moves up one base. Hennigan grounds out to 2B scoring Lester and moving Allen to 3B. JR Jake Heck singles to score Allen. JR Hector Molina pops out to 1B to end the inning. HHS 4 NCC 3.

Birds add 2 in the top of the 7th. Molina walks to lead off the inning. JR Quentin Murray bunts him over to 2B. FR Jakey Whitford pops out to 3B. Schultz reaches on an E5, scoring Molina. Meyer singles Schultz to 3B. 1st & 3rd, Meyer runs and NCC throws through. They don't get Meyer at 2B and Schultz scores. Lester strikes out to end the inning.

NCC scores 2 in the bottom of the 7th. After a ground out, DuPont hits a HR. Hightchew follows with a triple. Murray replaces Jones on the bump. Hightchew scores on a WP. Pangallo grounds back to the pitcher. Woltermann singles to keep things alive. Cain flies out to CF to end the game. Great catch by Molina according to the wife.

Congrats to the 36th District Champs!!!

Great evening of baseball. A big ole congrats to Mitchell Jones and the rest of the Birds for winning the District Championship. Mitchell was outstanding for being a Freshman. I was wondering if he was mature enough and handle the situation when he entered the game, and he did. Again, great job. This definitely wasn't the best played game on both sides, but really pretty even. Umps did a pretty good job. Low strike zone but was consistent. Keep it rolling Birds! See ya Monday!

Wow, in reading jpa's scoring summary, it sounds like NCC handed this game away. I don't believe HHS scored a single earned run. That's the stuff that'll drive coaches crazy!

Defense ... the most underrated aspect of baseball. In these big games, I would guess the team that plays the best defensively wins 80% of the time.

Birds had no errors in the field for the 2nd or 3rd straight game. Great game to watch and Highland Park was packed, you'd of thought Eric Glaser was on the mound circa 1997. Great win for Highlands! Bartels and Cain named to all-tourney team for NC. Representing HHS was Sr Mitch Meyer, & Fr Luke Hennigan.

MVP was Highlands Gabe Schultz. Monday at Champion Windows Field...

Defense ... the most underrated aspect of baseball. In these big games, I would guess the team that plays the best defensively wins 80% of the time.

Certainly sounds like that was the case in this one.

Highlands scored 5 runs in the 4th and 7th innings on TWO singles (and a bunch of errors/walks). Ultimately though, it doesn't matter how the runs scored, just that they scored.

Bartels did not walk a lot of batters....NCC was charged with 4 or 5 errors, 1wild pitch & 1 passed ball.

May not have walked a lot, but at least two that he (or whoever was pitching for NCC) did walk scored (one in 4th and one in 7th). Walks kill, errors kill.

Great job Birds! This team is chock full of Veteran ayuda like Scultz, Meyer and Murray and excellent youngsters like Allen, Hennigan, Whitford and Jones. Throw in some timely hitting and baserunning by Jrs Heck and Lester and the Birds grind out a huge win. Seeding in the Regional is always Big.

Coach B is doing a fantástic job!