If a 9th grade team has a good record will that translate to a good varsity team?

If a 9th grade team goes undefeated how will that team be when those players become seniors? Is it a good varsity team? Is it a good indication of how the team will be when they are varsity players? Why or Why not? What has history shown?

I think more often than not you can get a good sense of how well a group will perform at the varsity level, but it definitely is not a sure thing. Kids undergo a lot of physical and mental maturation following a Freshman season. Too many variables.

Yes, they will almost surely be a good varsity team - but just good is all you can expect. You can count on a winning record, but nothing more than a winning record IMO. To be a really good varsity team takes much more than the pure athletic skill that leads to being undefeated freshmen. It mainly tells you the class has some good natural athletes and ability.

I hate to beat this dead horse, but in my experience over the past few years, not at Dixie. They've had many successful freshmen seasons only to become mediocre at the varsity level. Of course that's if they don't transfer after their freshman season or quit in the middle of a JV or Varsity season. I have very guarded optimism for the new staff at DHHS.

Yes and no; three big factors to determine that involve the coaches and their motivational factors, the attitude of the kids, and the support that they receive from the communities. I have saw successful freshman teams flourish as they develop at the high school level and I have seen them go down the drain depending on the aforementioned factors. It all depends.....

I dont think it has much to do with anything. Sure some good frosh teams went on to do well but it probabky had to do with the school and its staff. HC has never had a very good frosh team but they have had good varsity teams.

Here are my thoughts, if the core group of kids stay together and have been playing at the varsity level since there were 10th graders and have been in the same type of offense throughout their years, that could translate into a pretty good varsity team. This could be an interesting year...

Due to frosh ball being able to be impacted by one stud player I do not put much into a record by itself.

Agreed. Much like Little League. Also due to the fact that many times the teams your on your freshmen schedule aren't the teams on you varsity schedule. People will play you in freshmen/JV that won't play you on Friday nights; especially in the more rural areas.

I don't see anything bad about it. But yes too many variables. One player can be that big of a difference maker. How many frosh we talking? 30 or something that actually made contributions in games? Or 8-10 that made contributions. In the latter case, then will need plenty of help in the preceeeding and succeeding classes to maintian a strong varsity career. Numbers also depend on the class. The more merrier in every case. Too many variables. But the short answer is you should have at minimal a winning record from the class as juniors and seniors.

I think it is a solid indicator that you will have a good varsity team but many things can happen. Kids quit, stop growing, new transfers come in and chemistry is broken up, etc. Highlands has always had very good Frosh teams and many of those players eventually have contributed on the Varsity level to achieve success. Even the team that didnt win the Frosh Championship a few years back turned out eventual state champions.

Its the teams that hang their hats on Frosh championships that should beware.

As much as I hate to throw my beloved Camels under the bus. The Camels have had some outstanding freshman teams over the years, with tremendous talent. That translated into average or less than average varsity teams. I believe there is a long list of variables that contribute to this, and all of these have encompassed young Camel teams for many years. HOWEVER, things seem to be looking up in Camel Land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CAMELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I think a good freshman team means that particular group will be good as varsity players, but you don't want to put to much stock in it. In other words, a good freshman team means that class is good, but not that they will have a great team when seniors. There are many variables to a good varsity team, and one class is only one of them. You may have a great senior class, but a team with a good senior class and a great junior class will beat you. A varsity team is a team of four age levels and with good players in any of those classes a team can do good. Plus, you have to add in new additions and subtract kids that decided to not play any longer, coaching philosophy, schedule, teen age minds, girl friends, teams strengths and weaknesses, along with opponent strengths and weaknesses. Again, to many variables.

It isn't a certainty that they will be successful on the Varsity level. There are too many variables that go into a successful Varsity team. First off will those kids stick together and continue to work. Secondly you need several quality classes in a row to have a lot of success.