April 2, 201214 yr The ten-year deal will keep Votto in Cincinnati through 2023 according to Nightengale, indicating that it's ten years on top of the two years left on his current deal. Votto signed a three-year, $38MM extension prior to last season. With the new extension, he is now under contract for the next 12 years at a total price of $251.5MM. Reds Agree To Extend Joey Votto: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com
April 3, 201214 yr A 10 Year deal for a 29 Year old player seems risky to me. Didnt Votto have 2 more years remaining on his current extension? If so, just seems this move could have waited a bit. It is nice to see the Reds keeping some of their talent, just not sure this was the best deal for the Reds long term future.
April 3, 201214 yr He's 28 actually. The longer they waited the more expensive he would get. They couldn't afford to let him get to the open market.
April 3, 201214 yr He's 28 actually. The longer they waited the more expensive he would get. They couldn't afford to let him get to the open market. I understand that, do we know was one of his demands a super long term contract of 8-10 years? Could they not have done a 5-6 year deal?
April 3, 201214 yr I understand that, do we know was one of his demands a super long term contract of 8-10 years? Could they not have done a 5-6 year deal? I haven't heard but I assume he demeaned a long contract. 5 or 6 years would take him to where he would be 35-36 and I doubt he wanted to be that old without a contract. This obviously gives him security for the rest of his career. I don't think he would have taken a deal for anything less than 9-10 years.
April 3, 201214 yr The guy on the other end of the riverfront should take note of what Mr. Castellini just did. If you want to be a competitor for a championship you can't always do it on the cheap and to get the fan support you need to be willing to take risks like this.
April 3, 201214 yr Is this really a good move? Can a small market team really spend that much on 1 player and still be able to afford the pieces around him to be competitive?
April 3, 201214 yr In a couple of years, what % will his salary be of the team payroll. I had heard 25%. Is this correct?
April 3, 201214 yr ^ I would say close to 20-25%. They will have to get the payroll to $100 M at some point in the near future.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.