Reds agree to extend Joey Votto

The ten-year deal will keep Votto in Cincinnati through 2023 according to Nightengale, indicating that it's ten years on top of the two years left on his current deal. Votto signed a three-year, $38MM extension prior to last season. With the new extension, he is now under contract for the next 12 years at a total price of $251.5MM.

Reds Agree To Extend Joey Votto: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 10 Year deal for a 29 Year old player seems risky to me. Didnt Votto have 2 more years remaining on his current extension? If so, just seems this move could have waited a bit. It is nice to see the Reds keeping some of their talent, just not sure this was the best deal for the Reds long term future.

He's 28 actually. The longer they waited the more expensive he would get. They couldn't afford to let him get to the open market.

I understand that, do we know was one of his demands a super long term contract of 8-10 years? Could they not have done a 5-6 year deal?

I understand that, do we know was one of his demands a super long term contract of 8-10 years? Could they not have done a 5-6 year deal?

I haven't heard but I assume he demeaned a long contract. 5 or 6 years would take him to where he would be 35-36 and I doubt he wanted to be that old without a contract. This obviously gives him security for the rest of his career. I don't think he would have taken a deal for anything less than 9-10 years.

The guy on the other end of the riverfront should take note of what Mr. Castellini just did. If you want to be a competitor for a championship you can't always do it on the cheap and to get the fan support you need to be willing to take risks like this.