Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Solid Article by Forde

Featured Replies

  • Author

Probably too long of a read for everyone, but if you have time, I really do encourage you to check this article out.

I read it, and it ended on a high note, but I HATE that nobody seems able to write about UK basketball without screaming racism and acting like Kentucky was the official team of the KKK until Rick Pitino showed up.

I read it, and it ended on a high note, but I HATE that nobody seems able to write about UK basketball without screaming racism and acting like Kentucky was the official team of the KKK until Rick Pitino showed up.

 

While I do think Kentucky gets singled out more (which is to be expected given their prominence), it is impossible to escape the way racism was intertwined with the program for a long, long time. If Kentucky basketball is being discussed in a historical context, it is going to be awfully difficult to do so without racism being mentioned.

While I do think Kentucky gets singled out more (which is to be expected given their prominence), it is impossible to escape the way racism was intertwined with the program for a long, long time. If Kentucky basketball is being discussed in a historical context, it is going to be awfully difficult to do so without racism being mentioned.

 

Right, but why isn't Duke looked at w/ the same disdain?

While I do think Kentucky gets singled out more (which is to be expected given their prominence), it is impossible to escape the way racism was intertwined with the program for a long, long time. If Kentucky basketball is being discussed in a historical context, it is going to be awfully difficult to do so without racism being mentioned.

 

How so more than any other school?

How so more than any other school?

 

Like I said, Kentucky gets singled out more in my opinion due to the prominence of the school. Others are similarly guilty.

Right, but why isn't Duke looked at w/ the same disdain?

Because they did not advance to play Texas Western.

Because they did not advance to play Texas Western.

 

Yep.

I read it, and it ended on a high note, but I HATE that nobody seems able to write about UK basketball without screaming racism and acting like Kentucky was the official team of the KKK until Rick Pitino showed up.

 

Well, many fans did call in to Cawood and scream bloody murder about Eddie Sutton daring to play five black players on the floor at the same time. To Cawood's credit, he always called them out for their stupidity.

Well, many fans did call in to Cawood and scream bloody murder about Eddie Sutton daring to play five black players on the floor at the same time. To Cawood's credit, he always called them out for their stupidity.

 

Of course the Governer of Alabama stood in the way of black students trying to attend class and every time an article is written about their history racism isn't mentioned.

Of course the Governer of Alabama stood in the way of black students trying to attend class and every time an article is written about their history racism isn't mentioned.

 

Wait. Are you saying racism isn't mentioned in the history of the University of Alabama? Stick your head in the sand much???

Wait. Are you saying racism isn't mentioned in the history of the University of Alabama? Stick your head in the sand much???

 

Actually I'm sure it is and it could be mentioned about 99% of all universities in the south but it isn't.

Actually I'm sure it is and it could be mentioned about 99% of all universities in the south but it isn't.

 

Good point. The blatant racism in the south circa the Civil Rights Era is such an uncovered topic. I'm sure you will be glad to lead the charge to clear the UK name in this new development... :rolleyes:

Good point. The blatant racism in the south circa the Civil Rights Era is such an uncovered topic. I'm sure you will be glad to lead the charge to clear the UK name in this new development... :rolleyes:

 

Not sure I understand your last comment. Look we know there was racism in the south I'm just not sure why we need to be reminded every time someone writes an article about UK basketball. Like someone mentioned earlier UK seems to be at the forefront because of the Texas Western game.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.