Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Solid Article by Forde

Featured Replies

  • Author

I get where you are coming from Corleone, but this is probably the first article I've ready since the tournament started, and actually all year, that has said anything about racism. With the amount of history that Forde provided, I thought it was very needed for this article. I learned a few things (assuming its all true) from this article.

I get where you are coming from Corleone, but this is probably the first article I've ready since the tournament started, and actually all year, that has said anything about racism. With the amount of history that Forde provided, I thought it was very needed for this article. I learned a few things (assuming its all true) from this article.

 

The history of the Louisville-Kentucky rivalry can't be explained without discussing the racism involved in it. That would be like doing a bio on FDR and ignoring the New Deal.

Hold on everyone, I think I've done a poor job communicating. My whole point is that UK is no more of a racist past than most any school south of the Mason Dixon Line. Due to their game against Texas Western, UK seems to be the biggest lightning rod. That's all.

Hold on everyone, I think I've done a poor job communicating. My whole point is that UK is no more of a racist past than most any school south of the Mason Dixon Line. Due to their game against Texas Western, UK seems to be the biggest lightning rod. That's all.

 

And again, it is in large part due to the prominence of the program. Kentucky is easily the highest profile team in the SEC, and only Duke and North Carolina are on par with them in the entire south.

And again, it is in large part due to the prominence of the program. Kentucky is easily the highest profile team in the SEC, and only Duke and North Carolina are on par with them in the entire south.

 

I completely agree but if the UK/Texas Western game never happened I'm not sure that UK would be the whippin post. Combined with the prominence of the program and it's a perfect storm.

^ Mo' money, mo' problems. You take the good with the bad.

Hold on everyone, I think I've done a poor job communicating. My whole point is that UK is no more of a racist past than most any school south of the Mason Dixon Line. Due to their game against Texas Western, UK seems to be the biggest lightning rod. That's all.

 

No you communicated your point on a clear and concise level. You think UK gets a raw deal as the power basketball program of the south when it comes to racism and the Civil Rights Era. Problem is, you can't take the good and toss away the bad because you love one and don't want to be bothered with the other. Race and the UK/UL rivalry is part of history. Not writing about it is doing the story injustice. That's all...

Hold on everyone, I think I've done a poor job communicating. My whole point is that UK is no more of a racist past than most any school south of the Mason Dixon Line. Due to their game against Texas Western, UK seems to be the biggest lightning rod. That's all.[/Q

If I am not mistaken, UK beat Duke in the semifinals in 1966 and Duke was also lilly white. So it could have been Duke as opposed to UK who incurred the scorn had Duke had a better team that year. The Devils could have starred in Glory Road.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.