Everything posted by Old-School-Football
-
Tomcat Nation in Mourning!!!!!!
Thoughts and prayers out to the Ashland community from Louisville/Trinity. We all need a guy like that working hard for our kids and schools. Sounds like one in a million.
-
Trinity 2015
Going to be a great night for the picnic. I hear the BBQ Cowboy will be working the hot dog station and Louie Karem will provide his usual assistance. As usual, Momma Rocks were amazing last night rolling out the new apparel. Another season we are all so blessed to have a supportive group of team moms helping keep the kids and coaches equipped with food, water, Gatorade and spirit wear. Nice to see the new Freshman faces last night. A LOT of good looking young men coming into the program. Also liked seeing Coach Wagner back in the mix with the Freshman staff. Love that guy! Can you guys feel the excitement? Another promising year of Shamrock football will be here before you know it. Oh...the new weight room is out of this world!! Thank you Trinity for all you do to support our kids on and off the field.
-
The Ten Best Quarterbacks of Kentucky History
I have the same yearbook. One of the days, maybe someone can tell me how to upload pictures. Love the picture of Bear Bryant. Pretty sure that is the same yearbook. And how can you not love a QB wearing #20 ??? Same can be said for a big fella wearing #22 at QB up in NY a few years back.
-
The Ten Best Quarterbacks of Kentucky History
Cool...sorry for the misinterpretation. I took your comment about "the system is more of the reason for success than the QB playing" the wrong way. The system with Reggie in it didn't turn out all that great 2 years ago when T went 6-6 and lost to Male in the playoffs. After reading your post, I just assumed you were saying T must have had a bunch of scrubs around Reggie and in the system that year. I was wrong to assume. Appreciate the follow up.
-
The Ten Best Quarterbacks of Kentucky History
Drew Barker most likely wouldn't have played at Trinity. He would have sat behind Travis and Reggie Bonnafon. Not A very good example to me. To my knowledge, Drew hasn't and isn't expected to see the field yet - and you just compared him to a guy that beat Notre Dame on the road last year as a true Freshman. Trust me, we have as many great players as anyone in the state...it isn't ALL about the coaches. We are BLESSED with the best coaches in this area...maybe some of the best in the Nation. But many of our 2nd and 3rd string guys that never see the field could start for a number of teams in Louisville. I'm talking about a group of kids that get very little to no credit...except from the coaches and teammates that regularly praise them because of what they do from a scout team perspective. Think I took that way to personal Hellbird. Not trying to pick a fight. I really do see your point. With that, I would rank Drew really high on this list and still give Travis a lot of credit. But I'm not sure who we would remove. I still think Hornung runs away with the top spot and he didn't make the original list.
-
Pick the Mr. Football Watch List
I love it Cards83!! Why not...right? The kid has been so patient waiting for his turn behind Dawkins and Brooks. Huge games at the end of his Soph and Junior year. And that OLine is full of seniors that will be 3 year starters. I'm looking forward to watching Mr Reed this year. Kid is a BEAST!
-
Pick the Mr. Football Watch List
Understood...you said 'favors' a winning program so I thought we may have left the door open. I'm a firm believer it should be the best player in the state. Pretty big honor to be recognized on a national level at the Opening in front of a national audience on ESPN. Something like that in addition to Army All American honors should at least get you on the watch list.
-
Pick the Mr. Football Watch List
Derek Dorsey (DL) Manual HS Committed to UL If Landon Young made the first list, you have to include Drake Jackson...right?
-
Jason Frakes Early Preseason Rankings In All Classes
You are correct regarding the 6A bracket. ANY team to make it to the semi finals will have to have one heck of a season...that would include the Rocks, Male, X and the rest of the gang. Horrible the way the bracket is set up.
-
Jason Frakes Early Preseason Rankings In All Classes
Should be a good one. I'm following the Mayfield and DeSales discussion - man you guys are crazy in a good way. Love the team spirit. I'm just not sure about DeSales yet. I'm on the side or under the impression they lost a huge amount of productivity on both sides of the ball. A number of role players will need to step up into even bigger roles this year...and I think they can do it. Just going to be a matter of time before I honestly believe they can play with Ballard (this year). Again, I only stress that Ballard is returning a really nice group from the 6A semi finalist last year. I think DeSales is worthy of the 1 or 2 pre season ranking by a mile...and Ballard should be in the 6A discussion as well.
-
Jason Frakes Early Preseason Rankings In All Classes
I believe we are still talking about the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round just like the past few seasons. Even though T went into the different district, we still have the two districts matched up with each other.
-
The Ten Best Quarterbacks of Kentucky History
I've got a few really nice year book pictures for you, Hatz. Having a hard time working the dang phone. Few nice pictures of Paul running the option at old Flaget. Also have one of Bear Bryant speaking at the banquet that year. I'll try to figure out how to load them from my phone.
-
The Ten Best Quarterbacks of Kentucky History
I really love that we are still talking about this one...great discussion. I still have to argue my case that Paul Hornung is #1 and hard to come up with a close 2nd in my book. I believe Paul wins the high school battle - the 1953 Flaget team was special playing against Elder, Hamilton OH, Chattanooga TN and Oak Ridge while blowing out the rest of the in state competition including X, Male, Lafayette, Manual. This part of the discussion can go in a million directions. After that, how do you argue with a Heisman trophy at Notre Dame, Super Bowl Champ with the Packers and Hall of Fame?
-
Jason Frakes Early Preseason Rankings In All Classes
I'm telling you guys, Ballard is much better than the #10 spot or outsides Mr. Frakes top 5 he listed. Makes for a great discussion. I personally feel like Ballard is ready to take another step forward this year. 6A semi finalist last year and I know a few kids in that program hungry to build on last season's success. I put Ballard and Manual on the same line...somewhere around the 4 spot.
-
SECTakeOver....
Love every game on the list! Adding the 2012 last second win over Cincinnati St X 14-13 and from the same season, the 21-14 semi final win over Scott County. The offense worked some magic running the 2 minute drill in both games...Dawkins playing with the flu against Scott County.
-
Kash Daniel receives offers from South Carolina, UK, UofL
Way to go and best wishes to Kash and his family. I've enjoyed every minute of this one. Nothing but respect for the kid and the way he has represented the Commonwealth. A lot of long lasting relationships along the way. I'm a big fan and look forward to watching the next chapter.
-
Trinity 2015
Why did Zaubi miss practice? Why were the Harper boys gone for 2 weeks? I bet we are talking about 2 totally different reasons or circumstances. Have a feeling this is an Apples and Oranges situation. Where is Manny on the depth chart? While I look forward to seeing him this year...I doubt he is any further ahead of Rodjay, Dalton J, Carrico and Enzo P. We can't paint a picture that the Coaches gave Larry the job and pushed another kid out after the 2 week absence when his brother is stuck behind a bunch of amazing Seniors. Larry is in the middle of his own battle - I assure you nobody is giving him anything...Woosley won't let that happen. If Larry "wins" the battle like last year, Woosley will be ready to jump back into the WR spot and be ready to contribute at QB at the same time. I love it! Hurry up Aug 7th!!!
-
2A Favorite
Do you have a list of DeSales guys going D1, D2 and D3? I know the Punter is going to UL...who else?
-
St Xavier 2015
Tough 3 game stretch on the road in week 3, 4 and 5 before they meet the Rocks at Papa Johns in week 6. Nice job with the schedule. Come back with Manual and Male in back to back weeks after that...should be fun.
-
Trinity 2015
For every young man that makes a decision to leave the team - you will find another that went through the same adversity, politics or drama and later went on to be a great player for the Rocks. I too wish Zaubi nothing but the best and look forward to watching his growth at the new school - but want to remind our audience that kids go through this sort of situation every year. It takes a special player to hang tough and keep grinding or pushing to make his dream come true. Hundreds if not thousands of young boys grow up dreaming of being the QB at Trinity and taking them to a State Championship. Ryan Young was one of those young men with that dream. I enjoyed his 4 year journey and the final chapter of his career as much as anyone in the history of the program. Split reps with DelVisco as a Freshman and Sophomore...he was never "THE GUY". Went on to lead the JV team to an undefeated season as a Junior putting up video game stats against a really hard schedule including Cathedral, Moeller, Colerain and many others. Then, he too went through the same adversity when Harper was announced the starter last year. As I understand it, Ryan also contemplated leaving the team at one time but with the encouragement of his team/brothers and amazing parents he decided to stick around and finally went on to lead this great program to another State Championship...land a spot at Butler University as a QB next year and be the Senior Class President along the way. Again, for every young man that decides to leave, we have another that fights through all the challenges and might even finish with a story book ending. I personally know a few...and each one is ready for the game of life more than anything. Talk about life lessons. Just wondering, was Zaubi not projected to be in the mix for the JV job? Blackburn isn't getting the QB1 reps anymore either. Zaubi could have also been in a battle for the JV job in my opinion. Need to make sure we don't just isolate this to Varsity Reps. While Woosley and Harper get the QB1 reps, I still think we are at least 3 deep at the position with solid players. The JV guy could very well work his way back into the mix depending on the outcome of the first few games. It isn't out of the question. All the guys know they are on a "one day contract"...the price you pay to be a part of a 23 time State Champion program.
-
The All 2000's Team
I understand the vote for Jordan Whiting at LB but my favorite player from that team was Brock Messina playing the DE/OLB position. Went on to an amazing career at Georgetown along with NAIA all-american honors, conference player of the year and National Defensive player of the year finalist...if my memory doesn't fail me. My opinion, he was overlooked by so many D1 programs. Whiting got all the attention and for the most part well deserved...but Brock was a pleasure to watch on every play and one heck of a player for the Rocks. Loved watching him play with the cast on his arm. Guy was a warrior!
-
St. X's new helmet logo... thoughts?
Confident the T audience will tell you the logo change isn't open for discussion. I like it so much I wish other sports would adopt the logo. I think it would look fantastic on the front of a baseball helmet or a patch on the basketball uniforms. I know the logo was designed and associated with all things football...but it says so much about all of the men playing sports and even the guy sitting and cheering in the stands. I hope it never changes. Just like St X...if it ever changed, it may take 150 years.
-
Woodford County Has the Best Offensive Line in the State?
Looking forward to seeing the other guy at JTOWN this year. What should the Rocks expect? Did he accomplish much at Woodford?
-
Trinity 2015
Zaubi has a bright future in front of him. I wonder what everyone would say if a player with his skill set transfered "into" the Trinity program. You just don't hear about that very often. Best of luck to the Zaubi family. I'm sure the time he spent with Coach Brohm and Coach Coverdale will be welcomed with open arms at South Oldham.
-
Trinity 2015
Louisville and surrounding counties could field an all star team with the amount of quality players that leave the Trinity program. It certainly isn't for everyone.