"Coaching (Simon Kenton) cost them a state championship Miles’ senior year"

theguru

Quote from Eric Deters:

"Football? Miles Simpson and Chad Laurence led teams and won despite the coaching. Coaching cost them a state championship Miles’ senior year and a state semi-finals appearance at least, Chad’s senior year."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the entire rant:

I love the Pioneers. But come on, when will they wake up (Kenton County Schools) and make head football and head basketball coach changes. I can speak out now because I no longer have children there.

The stories I can share. Last night, the boys were up 43-24 going into fourth quarter and lost. That’s coaching. They should have won the 8th Region. Now? 5th straight year out in the first round.

Trent Steiner and his program is not player/parent friendly. The best group of athletes in the history of the school was in my son’s class. Summit View and Twenhofel basketball and football players coming together to play. By the end of the freshman year, half of the starters from the two feeder schools quit. By senior year, ONE player remained. Why? Trent Steiner. Talent did not want to play for him.

Football? Miles Simpson and Chad Laurence led teams and won despite the coaching. Coaching cost them a state championship Miles’ senior year and a state semi-finals appearance at least, Chad’s senior year.

Guess what both of these coaches do? They beat down players. They don’t lift up players. They beat them down. They do not inspire. Simon Kenton had talent this year. Just not the talent the three prior years. What happened?

Players do not go to Simon Kenton because of these two coaches. There is a race issue too. Yes. I said it.

There have been black basketball and football players who have been shafted big time.

I can and will defend these remarks.

I’ll do the Pioneer community a favor since my children aren’t there anymore. I’ll beat the drums for change!

They kill spirit. They kill alumni participation. They do not build programs.

It’s time for wholesale changes in the boy’s basketball and football programs. They have already blown an incredible opportunity.

I plan on providing detailed facts and stories to follow.

I have one kid at SK and will have another one there next year and another the year after that. I fully support Jeff Marksberry and Trent Steiner. I cannot speak to the basketball program as much as I can the football program. Mr. Marksberry has done everything humanly possible to make SK a place where you want to send your kid to play football. The stadium and training facilities are among the best in the area. How many programs can practice indoors without the use of a gymnasium? The booster program is first rate and feeder programs are well developed. The coaches work tirelessly to the point of compromising their own family lives.

As a rural public school, SK will never get the kids of a Highlands, Trinity or even Beechwood. There are also matters of principal and character that have to lived up to and that does mean that some will choose to go elsewhere. I choose to send my kids to SK.

They could have had Vince Lombardi coaching. They weren't beating Trinity in either of the years he refers to.

If they would've face T that year,2009, they would have beat them,IMO. They came within six of beating X @ X

that season with Simpson on the sideline after the first quarter. Then X went on to beat T 34-10.

If they would've face T that year,2009, they would have beat them,IMO. They came within six of beating X @ X

that season with Simpson on the sideline after the first quarter. Then X went on to beat T 34-10.

Does this mean in theory you are agreeing with Deters?

I stand corrected. I don't know that I will concede that they would have beaten Trinity that year but they would have made a game of it no doubt. I was thinking of the 2 times that SK has played Trinity recently in the playoffs (44-0 and 72-0).

I stand corrected. I don't know that I will concede that they would have beaten Trinity that year but they would have made a game of it no doubt. I was thinking of the 2 times that SK has played Trinity recently in the playoffs.

Fair enough.

I will agree with one part of Deter's comments. Simpson's senior year, I think that team shouldve won a state championship. If Mike Yeagle, Dale Mueller, or someone of that caliber had that talent, they wouldve won. They have won titles with less than the talent SK had that year. That year saved Markesberry's job, imo. The fact that SK that year was the 4th seed in the districts and struggled to win only 4 games in the regular season is an absolute joke. That is coaching, imo. He did what any coach with that much talent would do. He got them to the dance. Congrats. He almost blew it, but you gotta take your hat off that Markesberry didn't screw it up. The next yr, I don't believe they were the best team in 6A and wouldnt have won a title. I don't think it wouldve mattered who was coaching them that year.