March 1, 201214 yr Why is it that a few bad people involved in Booster Clubs can ruin an entire program? Some parents are so ignorant about the purpose of the Booster Club. Listen up, BOOSTER CLUBS are not funds to drain when your son or daughter leaves the program! The purpose of the BOOSTER CLUB is to raise the funds to provide the team, players and coaches the money they need for overnight trips, meals, equipment, umpires, etc. I served as a BOOSTER CLUB President for over 7 years in one of the most prestigious baseball programs in the State of Kentucky. I would find out what the estimated budget was for the year and it was our goal to have fundraisers and meet those goals. As BOOSTER CLUB President, my goal was to add to the existing funds and when I left I had more money in the BOOSTER CLUB than when I began. I did serve as BOOSTER CLUB President in Basketball too and I had a bunch of spoiled Senior Parents who wanted to bankrupt the program when they left. The President should have the power to work with the Coach and the Treasurer should work with those 2. As President of Basketball Boosters I made sure the program was in better shape when I left than when I took over and I did it. So what is wrong with parents today? It starts when Recreation Leagues, Coaches and all think that all players who play are entitled to trophies, etc. Kids need to grow up. Most of all their parents need to grow up! Things are not free and life is not always fair. If you support the Booster Club for your child's benefit only, GET LOST! You are not a person the BOOSTER CLUB needs. Please somebody please give me an Amen to this thread! I know that I am not the only one who is totally sick of selfish parents claiming to be supporters of BOOSTER CLUBS.
March 1, 201214 yr I've been the Football Boosters President at my school for several years, and before that I was over our JFL program for quite some time. The simple fact is, some people don't understand what the Booster Club is for. Some think it is for the "Now". In reality, it is for the "now", but it is also for the future. We always budget for: what is needed this season, and for some long term goals. The way I see parents is: if they want to help and raise money, great. If they want to serve their selves and only concerned about their kids, don't' need them.
March 4, 201214 yr You are 100% right.:ylsuper: The thing that urinates me off are the parents that can be in the stands every game, but don't raise a finger to help with fund raising. :irked:
March 6, 201214 yr Why is it that a few bad people involved in Booster Clubs can ruin an entire program? Some parents are so ignorant about the purpose of the Booster Club. Listen up, BOOSTER CLUBS are not funds to drain when your son or daughter leaves the program! The purpose of the BOOSTER CLUB is to raise the funds to provide the team, players and coaches the money they need for overnight trips, meals, equipment, umpires, etc. I served as a BOOSTER CLUB President for over 7 years in one of the most prestigious baseball programs in the State of Kentucky. I would find out what the estimated budget was for the year and it was our goal to have fundraisers and meet those goals. As BOOSTER CLUB President, my goal was to add to the existing funds and when I left I had more money in the BOOSTER CLUB than when I began. I did serve as BOOSTER CLUB President in Basketball too and I had a bunch of spoiled Senior Parents who wanted to bankrupt the program when they left. The President should have the power to work with the Coach and the Treasurer should work with those 2. As President of Basketball Boosters I made sure the program was in better shape when I left than when I took over and I did it. So what is wrong with parents today? It starts when Recreation Leagues, Coaches and all think that all players who play are entitled to trophies, etc. Kids need to grow up. Most of all their parents need to grow up! Things are not free and life is not always fair. If you support the Booster Club for your child's benefit only, GET LOST! You are not a person the BOOSTER CLUB needs. Please somebody please give me an Amen to this thread! I know that I am not the only one who is totally sick of selfish parents claiming to be supporters of BOOSTER CLUBS. AMEN!!!!
March 7, 201214 yr Why is it that a few bad people involved in Booster Clubs can ruin an entire program? Some parents are so ignorant about the purpose of the Booster Club. Listen up, BOOSTER CLUBS are not funds to drain when your son or daughter leaves the program! The purpose of the BOOSTER CLUB is to raise the funds to provide the team, players and coaches the money they need for overnight trips, meals, equipment, umpires, etc. I served as a BOOSTER CLUB President for over 7 years in one of the most prestigious baseball programs in the State of Kentucky. I would find out what the estimated budget was for the year and it was our goal to have fundraisers and meet those goals. As BOOSTER CLUB President, my goal was to add to the existing funds and when I left I had more money in the BOOSTER CLUB than when I began. I did serve as BOOSTER CLUB President in Basketball too and I had a bunch of spoiled Senior Parents who wanted to bankrupt the program when they left. The President should have the power to work with the Coach and the Treasurer should work with those 2. As President of Basketball Boosters I made sure the program was in better shape when I left than when I took over and I did it. So what is wrong with parents today? It starts when Recreation Leagues, Coaches and all think that all players who play are entitled to trophies, etc. Kids need to grow up. Most of all their parents need to grow up! Things are not free and life is not always fair. If you support the Booster Club for your child's benefit only, GET LOST! You are not a person the BOOSTER CLUB needs. Please somebody please give me an Amen to this thread! I know that I am not the only one who is totally sick of selfish parents claiming to be supporters of BOOSTER CLUBS. :thumb: AMEN, AMEN, AMEN! Too many parents always wanting to know what is in it for them and their kid(s). Then when it comes time to volunteer for fund raisers, etc., they are nowhere to be found. :irked:
March 7, 201214 yr Sometime parents are big on booster club and help raise money so then they feel the coach owes them more PT for their kid and if it dont happen then they bad mouth the coach. Most of these parens kids are no good anyway and they see this as an attemtp to get them on the field or court.
March 7, 201214 yr Anyone who is a formal officer of a booster club that has 501©3 status better be careful. The IRS has been cracking down on fees and fundraising that has quotas or targets in lieu of individual fees. Fund raising must NOT be mandatory with individual quotas. I am not sure how close they look how monies are spent, but certainly spending that is targeted to benefit specific participates seems like it would come under scrutiny in a formal audit. Keep good books and requiring two signatures on checks is always a good idea. The saying should be - "One for all, and all for all."
March 8, 201214 yr Anyone who is a formal officer of a booster club that has 501©3 status better be careful. The IRS has been cracking down on fees and fundraising that has quotas or targets in lieu of individual fees. Fund raising must NOT be mandatory with individual quotas. I am not sure how close they look how monies are spent, but certainly spending that is targeted to benefit specific participates seems like it would come under scrutiny in a formal audit. Keep good books and requiring two signatures on checks is always a good idea. The saying should be - "One for all, and all for all." If I'm reading this correctly -- and please correct me if I'm not -- then tax laws are in favor of kids being priced out of sports participation in schools (you know, the way many already are by travel teams and other "pay-to-play" type organizations)?
March 8, 201214 yr Sometime parents are big on booster club and help raise money so then they feel the coach owes them more PT for their kid and if it dont happen then they bad mouth the coach. Most of these parens kids are no good anyway and they see this as an attemtp to get them on the field or court. I've actually heard a booster member tell me that her kid "better make the team because of all that I do here"! For the record, her kid got cut!
March 9, 201214 yr If I'm reading this correctly -- and please correct me if I'm not -- then tax laws are in favor of kids being priced out of sports participation in schools (you know, the way many already are by travel teams and other "pay-to-play" type organizations)? Not sure what changed or if it due to some high profile cases in the Lexington area a few years ago. But you can still do things to raise money to offset cost. But it must be done as a group effort. And do it properly then you have to set a target for your fundraising. If you meet or exceed that target then all is good. If you fall short, then the payment of the difference must be equally distributed amongst all - even if only handful of kids (or parents) did the fund raising and far exceeded the 'per player' average that was needed and the rest did nothing. So you can not have specific quotas per participant and you can not directly have the fund raising offset individual fees. So it must be done as a total team effort with nothing directly tied to individuals. Here is a good description of what I am trying describe above: Nonprofit Law: Fundraising, irs regulations, booster organizations "All funds solicited on behalf of the booster organization in fundraisers (sales) must go into the general fund of the booster organization and not directly into individual accounts of the booster fundraiser."
March 17, 201214 yr I am probably in the minority here but I don't think fund raising should be mandated. No doubt we would all agree that it's a ton of work but I don't necessarily feel it should be mandatory. I would rather have the option to participate if it's necessary but would also like to know what the fee is up front if I prefer to go that route. With multiple kids I hate missing something for one when I am forced to go work a cocession stand for less than minimum wage because someone thought that was a great idea.
March 17, 201214 yr I am probably in the minority here but I don't think fund raising should be mandated. No doubt we would all agree that it's a ton of work but I don't necessarily feel it should be mandatory. I would rather have the option to participate if it's necessary but would also like to know what the fee is up front if I prefer to go that route. With multiple kids I hate missing something for one when I am forced to go work a cocession stand for less than minimum wage because someone thought that was a great idea. Here is the problem with that mindset, too many parents want to work no fundraisers but their child benefit from the funds raised from the fundraiser. Small group do all the work while everyone benefits. We ALL have other things that are important to us but we sacrifice for the betterment of the team/program.
March 17, 201214 yr Here is the problem with that mindset, too many parents want to work no fundraisers but their child benefit from the funds raised from the fundraiser. Small group do all the work while everyone benefits. We ALL have other things that are important to us but we sacrifice for the betterment of the team/program. Give each parent a choice, either work the fundraiser or pay an equivalent fee. Works out for everyone.
March 17, 201214 yr Give each parent a choice, either work the fundraiser or pay an equivalent fee. Works out for everyone. If all parents take that route, who works the concession?
March 18, 201214 yr Here is the problem with that mindset, too many parents want to work no fundraisers but their child benefit from the funds raised from the fundraiser. Small group do all the work while everyone benefits. We ALL have other things that are important to us but we sacrifice for the betterment of the team/program. You hit the nail on the head here. :ylsuper:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.