Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Booster Clubs

Featured Replies

If all parents take that route, who works the concession?

 

Those that don't consider themselves or their time to be too precious to do so.

Give each parent a choice, either work the fundraiser or pay an equivalent fee. Works out for everyone.

 

This is against the law.

Those that don't consider themselves or their time to be too precious to do so.

I consider my time precious but know i have a responsibilty if i am going to let my child participate.

Athletic departments and programs exist, even at the high school level, to make money. Therefore, I see no reason at all that anyone should be "forced" to volunteer to work a concession, etc.

Sometime parents are big on booster club and help raise money so then they feel the coach owes them more PT for their kid and if it dont happen then they bad mouth the coach. Most of these parens kids are no good anyway and they see this as an attemtp to get them on the field or court.

 

Along those same lines, quite a few programs penalize the children of those parents who don't volunteer every free second they have.

Not sure what changed or if it due to some high profile cases in the Lexington area a few years ago. But you can still do things to raise money to offset cost. But it must be done as a group effort. And do it properly then you have to set a target for your fundraising. If you meet or exceed that target then all is good. If you fall short, then the payment of the difference must be equally distributed amongst all - even if only handful of kids (or parents) did the fund raising and far exceeded the 'per player' average that was needed and the rest did nothing. So you can not have specific quotas per participant and you can not directly have the fund raising offset individual fees. So it must be done as a total team effort with nothing directly tied to individuals.

 

Here is a good description of what I am trying describe above:

 

Nonprofit Law: Fundraising, irs regulations, booster organizations

 

"All funds solicited on behalf of the booster organization in fundraisers (sales) must go into the general fund of the booster organization and not directly into individual accounts of the booster fundraiser."

 

 

When my son was in band, parents often worked Bingo to make money for their individual accounts. The fees were $600 then per student to off set the expenses of competitions, clinicians, etc. By the end of my tenure on the booster board we were mandated out of the individual account system in Bingo. The IRS considered it pay and therefore taxable. And there were some who abused the accounts with purchasing instruments, or even one alum's mother worked bingo and then used the account to pay for riding and staying with the Band at Nationals. :rolleyes:

 

FWIW, I was a huge supporter and fund raiser for my daughter's travel team two summers ago. But it didn't get her anymore playing time. Nor did I expect it too. I told the coach it's his job to decide how much time each girl should get. My job was to support him, the girls and the team and so I did it the best way I could. :thumb:

FWIW, I was a huge supporter and fund raiser for my daughter's travel team two summers ago. But it didn't get her anymore playing time. Nor did I expect it too. I told the coach it's his job to decide how much time each girl should get. My job was to support him, the girls and the team and so I did it the best way I could. :thumb:

 

:thumb:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.