Coach Cal: The Myth of Our Program

Clyde

I disagree with part of the first line. It's most definitely in the best interests of the NBA.

I thought the NBA was pushing for another year to evaluate talent? I guess you can take it as opposed to the previous system then yes this is better for the NBA.

Really it should be what is in the best interest of the student athletes. We are in the land of opportunity with success and failure stories. If you are 18 and think you can cut it the pros, then more power to you. I think any requirement to keep a young adult from participating just seems wrong to me.

I thought the NBA was pushing for another year to evaluate talent? I guess you can take it as opposed to the previous system then yes this is better for the NBA.

Really it should be what is in the best interest of the student athletes. We are in the land of opportunity with success and failure stories. If you are 18 and think you can cut it the pros, then more power to you. I think any requirement to keep a young adult from participating just seems wrong to me.

The NBA is a business. Why should they worry about what's best for the student-athlete?

4. Lastly, on the NBA side, if a young man stays in school, he can renegotiate his rookie deal faster than someone who comes out sooner, plus the pay scale goes up the longer he stays in school.

I find this interesting.

I didn't read the whole story yet. I like this idea though. That is a win for everyone. The kid who must go pro for family financial reasons still has that option. But there is incentive for everyone for the player to stay in school longer.

The NBA is a business. Why should they worry about what's best for the student-athlete?

I agree, but that was not the point I was making. I think it is unfair these student-athletes have no representation. I have always thought they should be able to unionize in some way, shape, or fashion because the NCAA and NBA are in cahoots with one another on this subject. It benefits them both, but not the student athlete first which we are told they are doing.

I have always thought they should be able to unionize in some way, shape, or fashion because the NCAA and NBA are in cahoots with one another on this subject. It benefits them both, but not the student athlete first which we are told they are doing.

I'm surprised there hasn't been some type of anti trust case against the major sports leagues and/or the NCAA over issues like this. How can they simply choose an arbitrary age limit?

I'm surprised there hasn't been some type of anti trust case against the major sports leagues and/or the NCAA over issues like this. How can they simply choose an arbitrary age limit?

They can choose to hire anyone they want. It's a private business. You don't see anything happen because the NCAA wants these kids even if it's just for 1 year. Like everything they do it's a money grab.

I know there has been some challenges in year's past, just as with the NFL.

My guess is the fact that is comes about through collective bargaining is what keeps it out of court. Just a guess on my part. Other industries do it without legal ramifications.

They can choose to hire anyone they want. It's a private business. You don't see anything happen because the NCAA wants these kids even if it's just for 1 year. Like everything they do it's a money grab.

Just because it is private it does not mean they are exempt from potential anti-trust issues.