Conner Lady Cougars

Congratulations to the Lady Cougars finishing the season at 20/9. Great turnaround and wish the girls the best of luck in the districts. The JV girls are playing in the region 9 JV tournament championship again after losing the championship game last year to ND. Coach Stamm and his staff have done a tremendous job and the program is certainly going in the right direction. Go Lady Cougars and believe!!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Conner definitely has two excellent players returning next year in Jordan Scott and Emily Pluto.

They also have 2 sophmores to be and a junior to be that should help to make up for the lose of Peacock, Ray and Castleberry. If I'm not mistaken they also had a very good 8th grade team this year so the future looks bright for Coach Stamm and his Lady Cougars.

They also have 2 sophmores to be and a junior to be that should help to make up for the lose of Peacock, Ray and Castleberry. If I'm not mistaken they also had a very good 8th grade team this year so the future looks bright for Coach Stamm and his Lady Cougars.

I must correct myself, those 2 sophmores I spoke of are actually going to be freshmen ( Gambrel and Hendricks) and they saw considerable action at the varsity level as 8th graders. The junior I mentioned is named Meyers I do believe.

I must correct myself, those 2 sophmores I spoke of are actually going to be freshmen ( Gambrel and Hendricks) and they saw considerable action at the varsity level as 8th graders. The junior I mentioned is named Meyers I do believe.

I still say the jury is out. Call me when the Cougars make the Region. Coach Stamm gets a lot of love on here for keeping Conner where they were. I thought he did a good job at ludlow.

I still say the jury is out. Call me when the Cougars make the Region. Coach Stamm gets a lot of love on here for keeping Conner where they were. I thought he did a good job at ludlow.

Well considering they played in a district with two of the top three teams in the region in his two years at Conner, I say he has done a good job. Especially since I would say he has taken Conner at little further than just what they were. They gave Ryle the scare of their life in the first round of the district, when most people didn't think Conner would have much of a chance. Honestly in that game Ryle had a starter get hurt, which ended up maybe being the best thing for them because they were looking tight in the 4th down 8. After that they got their composure together though.

Now things will be a little more balenced in the district, since no team has a top DI player on it.

Conner's JV has been in the championship game for the last 2 years. The incoming freshman class lost only 4 games in 3 years (only lost 1 game in 2 years before Gambrel and Hendricks moved up to high school). The talent pool has shifted to Conner. Not saying Boone and Ryle wont be good. But Moss era and Crittenden era are over. Coach Stamm didnt have division 1 players during his 2 years. And he was 6 minutes away from taking Ryle with a division 1 player.

Again all of this love for Conner, and with all of this jv winning they should be one of the favorites in the Region this year. Why would they not be?

They have been in the same position for years in girls hoops-just a step below Boone and Ryle and they are in the same district so they know what they have to do.

Lest one think I am picking on the Cougars, Holy Cross boys team is in the same spot. They are always highlay ranked. Last year won the "A" state title, and yet couldn't make the regional tournament.

Again all of this love for Conner, and with all of this jv winning they should be one of the favorites in the Region this year. Why would they not be?

They have been in the same position for years in girls hoops-just a step below Boone and Ryle and they are in the same district so they know what they have to do.

Lest one think I am picking on the Cougars, Holy Cross boys team is in the same spot. They are always highlay ranked. Last year won the "A" state title, and yet couldn't make the regional tournament.

I would disagree with using getting out of the district as a measure of a team's success. Just look at the teams at the end of the season and rank them. I think Conner would have ranked in the top 5 this year ie good season. Unfortunately, 1 and 2 were also in the 33rd.

I do not put much stock into the winning of frosh and JV championships. It's never apples-to-apples. However, if you can pull 1 or 2 from each grade your team will be a contender. I think that's where Conner is.

I would disagree with using getting out of the district as a measure of a team's success. Just look at the teams at the end of the season and rank them. I think Conner would have ranked in the top 5 this year ie good season. Unfortunately, 1 and 2 were also in the 33rd.

I do not put much stock into the winning of frosh and JV championships. It's never apples-to-apples. However, if you can pull 1 or 2 from each grade your team will be a contender. I think that's where Conner is.

Not a huge argument from me, but the goal for every team each year should be to win their district and advance to the region. With the district champion and runner-up going from each district, about 40% of the northern kentucky teams advance to the region. To not make it to the region has to be a disappointment for sure. You can put any window dressing on it you want, but if I am coaching any of the boys or girls teams that is a supposed contender, and don't make the region, the after season party isn't going to be as much fun.

Not a huge argument from me, but the goal for every team each year should be to win their district and advance to the region. With the district champion and runner-up going from each district, about 40% of the northern kentucky teams advance to the region. To not make it to the region has to be a disappointment for sure. You can put any window dressing on it you want, but if I am coaching any of the boys or girls teams that is a supposed contender, and don't make the region, the after season party isn't going to be as much fun.

You can be disappointed but it doesn't take away from your year. Conner had a really nice year and are set up well.

Sorry Clyde I disagree. I put a lot of stock in what younger teams have done in the previous season. Because seniors graduate and freshman, sophmores, and juniors move up.

It's not apples-to-apples.

In girls b-ball at most schools if you're a really good frosh or soph you're playing varsity. At some other schools you're playing frosh or JV. Those schools then have the obvious advantage in the frosh/JV tourney. Secondly, frosh ball only represents one class. If high school b-ball was limited to one grade/class then you might have an argument.

Which school won the frosh tourney when this year's graduating seniors were frosh? (I don't know). I do know that Ryle and Boone had some very good frosh that year who didn't play frosh ball.

If I can get 1 to 2 strong players from each grade it doesn't matter how good the rest of the kids are in any grade.

It's nice for the girls. It builds excitement but it in and of itself does not tell me anything about a team's future success.