December 12, 201114 yr Hopefully Walt makes something happen. They could put themselves in prime position to win the division next year. http://redlegnation.com/2011/12/12/interesting-quote-from-jocketty/ Q: How did you feel coming out of winter meetings? A: For us, it was very frustrating. We tried to do a lot of different things. We still have a lot of things pending. We spent a lot of time and effort trying to get some deals done. We’re looking mainly for pitching, so I think we made enough progress that we may be able to do some things in the next few weeks, next few days. Q: Do you feel pretty good about something happening in the next few weeks? A: There are two deals we can do right now, but it would probably take a lot of our top prospects and I’m always a little nervous about doing that. So I’ll spend a little more time analyzing that.
December 12, 201114 yr I'm thinking Shields and maybe Gio are the two deals? Not sure who the 2nd one would be if not Gio. :idunno:
December 12, 201114 yr They need to get the deal for Shields done. If they want to be serious about winning, they need that go-to #1 guy. Shields is that guy, IMO. If you have to let go of Alonso and another big prospect, so be it.
December 13, 201114 yr Author http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/12/13/reds-reportedly-sign-brackman/ The Reds have signed right-hander Andrew Brackman to a one-year major league contract, cbssportsline.com Jon Heyman reports. Brackman, the Moeller High product, went 3-6 with a 6.00 ERA last year for Triple-A Scanton-Wilkes Barre. He allowed 82 hits in 96 innings, walked 75 and struck out 75. He is 15-29 with 5.11 ERA overall in the minors. The Reds tendered contracts all six arbitration-eligible players.
December 13, 201114 yr They need to get the deal for Shields done. If they want to be serious about winning, they need that go-to #1 guy. Shields is that guy, IMO. If you have to let go of Alonso and another big prospect, so be it.Who is "another big prospect?"
December 13, 201114 yr Perhaps Grandal?I wonder whether that would be enough ... Shields' contract is manageable for the Rays, and I doubt that they consider Alonso a high-level prospect.
December 13, 201114 yr Author From John Fay: Josh Willingham is reportedly close to a deal. Reds, I'm told, are not involved.
December 15, 201114 yr Anyone else hoping to see the Reds kick the tires on recently non-tendered Joe Saunders?
December 15, 201114 yr Looks like the Reds are among the teams interested in free agent OF'er Michael Cuddyer....Others include the Rockies, Twins, & Mariners.
December 15, 201114 yr Author Looks like the Reds are among the teams interested in free agent OF'er Michael Cuddyer....Others include the Rockies, Twins, & Mariners. I could live with that but only if they add a starting pitcher.
December 15, 201114 yr I could live with that but only if they add a starting pitcher. Obviously. Bottomline is they have to address both starting pitching and LF if they want to be a serious contender in the Central.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.