Big East Expanding this week.

Alabama Larry

The ironic thing would be if the BCS didn't renew their AQ bid in a few years after doing all this expanding.

Personally, I think the Big East should have their AQ removed at this point either with or without the additions.

I'm already anticipating the number of lawsuits that are going to be filed if the Big East loses its AQ status. It's going to be wild.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already anticipating the number of lawsuits that are going to be filed if the Big East loses its AQ status. It's going to be wild.

I'm not even sure there will be AQ's after this BCS cycle. Hasn't all of the anti-trust sabre-rattling been about AQ's? Also, numerous bowl commissioners are unhappy with the current selection process and are pushing for a new method. I suspect that when the BCS is renewed next time (maybe sooner), there will be lots of changes from the previous format.

I'm not even sure there will be AQ's after this BCS cycle. Hasn't all of the anti-trust sabre-rattling been about AQ's? Also, numerous bowl commissioners are unhappy with the current selection process and are pushing for a new method. I suspect that when the BCS is renewed next time (maybe sooner), there will be lots of changes from the previous format.

I agree. The renewed BCS could look very different. But taking away AQs probably serves to consolidate money and influence even more than it is now, which is the opposite of what needs to happen. Without AQs, what does selection look like? Just the BCS rankings straight-up?

Surely they're not going to still call it the Big East. Maybe the Coast To Coast Conference would work.

Conference USA if the name wasn't already taken.

In all honesty, I think these additions at the least maintain their football. Houston and Boise are as good, or better, than anyone they're losing.

Boise is definitely better than anyone the conference is losing. Houston can certainly make that claim this year, but I definitely don't know enough to say whether or not that's the case over the last few years (though it's hard to imagine they're any worse than Syracuse or more perpetually disappointing than Pitt).