Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region this year? Who wins it, which teams/players are to watch?

Featured Replies

Just not worth replying to this claim! Al I can say, if you know of anything going on illegally at CovCath notify the KHSAA!

 

I was not taking a shot at Cov Cath if that is what your implying. I was making a general statement about private/prep schools. I was just stating something that is fairly common knowledge in the private/prep school world. But it would be pretty naive to believe that EVERY athlete's tuition that is being paid is coming from their own parents check books. But like I said this was not directly referring to Cov Cath or it's baseball team. Hope that clarifies my comments a little.

  • Replies 125
  • Views 21.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was not taking a shot at Cov Cath if that is what your implying. I was making a general statement about private/prep schools. I was just stating something that is fairly common knowledge in the private/prep school world. But it would be pretty naive to believe that EVERY athlete's tuition that is being paid is coming from their own parents check books. But like I said this was not directly referring to Cov Cath or it's baseball team. Hope that clarifies my comments a little.

 

What is St Xavier doing that you alluded to earlier?

Just not worth replying to this claim! Al I can say, if you know of anything going on illegally at CovCath notify the KHSAA!

 

They won't do anything anyway. I know for a fact the year Maile's team (09 I believe) was beaten by BW in the Regional, a few of those players didn't pay full tuition. I heard in inner circles the shortstops father claiming he put that team together, that he paid for a few of them to go there so they could win a state championship. Heck one of the freshman football players that same year was on a full scholarship. He went to BW thru 8th grade, was recruited out of Spartans football to go to CCH, went there freshman year and came back to BW his sophomore year. Notifying the KHSAA does nothing. Heck, NCC had a kid transfer in halfway thru his senior year since he was kicked out of his previous school and still played baseball that year. Since they don't enforce the rules on a consistent basis, they should just get rid of them in the state, IMO.

:sssh:

They won't do anything anyway. I know for a fact the year Maile's team (09 I believe) was beaten by BW in the Regional, a few of those players didn't pay full tuition. I heard in inner circles the shortstops father claiming he put that team together, that he paid for a few of them to go there so they could win a state championship. Heck one of the freshman football players that same year was on a full scholarship. He went to BW thru 8th grade, was recruited out of Spartans football to go to CCH, went there freshman year and came back to BW his sophomore year. Notifying the KHSAA does nothing. Heck, NCC had a kid transfer in halfway thru his senior year since he was kicked out of his previous school and still played baseball that year. Since they don't enforce the rules on a consistent basis, they should just get rid of them in the state, IMO.
They won't do anything anyway. I know for a fact the year Maile's team (09 I believe) was beaten by BW in the Regional, a few of those players didn't pay full tuition. I heard in inner circles the shortstops father claiming he put that team together, that he paid for a few of them to go there so they could win a state championship. Heck one of the freshman football players that same year was on a full scholarship. He went to BW thru 8th grade, was recruited out of Spartans football to go to CCH, went there freshman year and came back to BW his sophomore year. Notifying the KHSAA does nothing. Heck, NCC had a kid transfer in halfway thru his senior year since he was kicked out of his previous school and still played baseball that year. Since they don't enforce the rules on a consistent basis, they should just get rid of them in the state, IMO.

 

Are you sure about all of this, esp the bolded? I have had three sons go to Cov Cath, and none have been the stud athlete, yet each one qualified for financial aid. The process any prospective student can go thru is to submit an application thru a third party who processes information for hundreds of schools. Each one of my sons qualified for financial aid which gave me a break on tuition. They each perform 'work study' in exchange(cleaning school after hours/over summer, parking cars at events, etc. No where in the application process was I asked if my son was an athlete. I also question the full scholarship. I am aware on one student getting a full ride scholarship there - The Kenny and Brian Williams Scholarship - which is awarded to an incoming freshman from one of the feeder schools. Beechwood is not one of the feeder schools. The school does award some scholarships to incoming freshman based on their scores on the HSPT, but I am fairly certain that these are no where near full rides.

 

So, I ask you if you are sure that the information you are claiming above is 100% accurate? I do not see how it is, and if you believe it to be, why do you not do as TOG says, and report it? Seems to me that there are many people who simply would rather make blanket non-factual statements to disparage the school for whatever reason.

Why would Teegarden NOT pitch? He has excellent stuff. Am I missing something?

In regards to Teegarden, I think if any, he will be used in district games.

And what is Dixie looking like this year?

Dixie is going to be pretty tough this year. Pitching and Hitting both will be strong for the Colonels. Cov Cath will also be very good so will Beechwood.

Not exactly.

He hasn't started his senior year of high school and he's already got the EKU job ?

Soccer, golf, field hockey, basketball, football, baseball, AND the education. Not trying to debate either Clyde, but I believe for the parents investment, the education their kids get ay CovCath is pretty good or they would not spend the money. Especially since most of the kids that graduate do not continue playing sports at the college level. As is in a public school. But, I will say, IMO, majority of the boys at CovCath play one sport or another.

Don't misunderstand. I answered your question when you asked if the "majority" of kids were there for football and baseball.

 

Average class has 125 kids. 45 to 50 come out for frosh football and about 25 to 30 come back for their sophomore year. If your theory was correct there would be a lot of transfers after the freshman year.

 

Why would a parent pay $6k per year for their son to play football or baseball?

Your correct

They won't do anything anyway. I know for a fact the year Maile's team (09 I believe) was beaten by BW in the Regional, a few of those players didn't pay full tuition. I heard in inner circles the shortstops father claiming he put that team together, that he paid for a few of them to go there so they could win a state championship. Heck one of the freshman football players that same year was on a full scholarship. He went to BW thru 8th grade, was recruited out of Spartans football to go to CCH, went there freshman year and came back to BW his sophomore year. Notifying the KHSAA does nothing. Heck, NCC had a kid transfer in halfway thru his senior year since he was kicked out of his previous school and still played baseball that year. Since they don't enforce the rules on a consistent basis, they should just get rid of them in the state, IMO.
As is in a public school. But, I will say, IMO, majority of the boys at CovCath play one sport or another.

 

I just looked through my son's yearbook. "Majority" would not be correct.

Why would Teegarden NOT pitch? He has excellent stuff. Am I missing something?

 

Teegarden will pitch this year.

I just looked through my son's yearbook. "Majority" would not be correct.

 

Clyde not so sure wingman 96 isn't correct! :idunno:

 

Have you seen the workouts and the practice time that the CovCath Crazies put into their routines each day and then there is the IBL players! Talk about a rough league, not sure many Ninth Region HS basketball players could make it through an IBL season without getting injured, rough, rough league!

 

I can tell you that my class had more guys not playing sports than playing...but all of them were part of the team in spirit!

Cov Cath sounds like they'll be tough with great depth. Ryle should be solid led by senior SS Leiff Clarkson (Western KY) and senior P Mark Downs (UC). Junior 1B/P Tyler Mason should have a solid year after getting some good varsity playing time the second half of last year. The juniors coming up from JV last year should also make a good contribution. Ryle's JV squad won 26 games last year. That of course does not mean they'll have the best juniors in the region this year. Bigger schools like Ryle have lots of depth and don't often bring up their freshman and sophmores to varsity. The sophmores (and the occasional freshmen) get developed by playing JV full time. Ryle's JV has won 20 games or more 8 of the last 9 years. That hasn't equated into a lot of varsity district and regional success, but here's hoping it does this spring!

 

 

NewCath won the JV region last year along with the varsity winning the 9th. How can you count them out?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.