Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 125 Morehouse 40

Featured Replies

I see both sides. But I think Cal did this as a return favor for being able to appear at the Morehouse/MLK panel. Perhaps more exposure for Cal, and therefore UK, eclipses any on-the-court benefits? Just a thought.

 

Then don't play Transy.

  • Replies 60
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it true that when Morehouse got a few stops the coach yelled "D at last! D at last! Thank God almighty D at last!"

 

No history majors on here?

Calipari even said himself before the Transy game that he'd rather not play these exhibitions and that there are many other things he'd rather do to help his team.

I thought it was pretty cool for UK to play Transy too. I also am not a UK fan so I am not concerned with their level of exhibition competition like the average UK fan would be. I thought both exhibition games were favors for both opposing schools. Despite getting drubbed I'd say the boys at both schools enjoyed the experience unless they came into the game with unrealistic expectations.

 

 

I'd think the players at both schools are a lot smarter than that. :D

No history majors on here?

 

 

:lol:

 

Of course. I just liked the Mike Mitchell joke better. :D

To be totally honest I think it is silly for people to be arguing over which teams are going to make them better in the pre season. I mean if you want to schedule an exhibition thats going to "make your team better" why not have an exhibition with an NBA team. Who cares is what I say, play who you want in the exhibitions. Kentucky always has a tough regular season schedule and this year plays Kansas, St. Johns, UNC, Louisville, Florida, Vandy, Miss St., and Bama. If those games don't get them better and get them ready for March then I don't know what will. Fact of the matter is you play for April not November 5th. Kentucky has plenty of time to get ready for that, what they do or who they play in the pre season makes zero difference.

Calipari even said himself before the Transy game that he'd rather not play these exhibitions and that there are many other things he'd rather do to help his team.

 

 

I believe it. I'd say it is hard to coach a game such as these past two.

Finally got to watch it on DVR, wow, the Cats certainly were on fire to say the least. Everything seemed to go in the basket.

To be totally honest I think it is silly for people to be arguing over which teams are going to make them better in the pre season. I mean if you want to schedule an exhibition thats going to "make your team better" why not have an exhibition with an NBA team.

 

UK basically did that. Look for new NCAA rules to keep it from happening in the future!

To be totally honest I think it is silly for people to be arguing over which teams are going to make them better in the pre season. I mean if you want to schedule an exhibition thats going to "make your team better" why not have an exhibition with an NBA team. Who cares is what I say, play who you want in the exhibitions. Kentucky always has a tough regular season schedule and this year plays Kansas, St. Johns, UNC, Louisville, Florida, Vandy, Miss St., and Bama. If those games don't get them better and get them ready for March then I don't know what will. Fact of the matter is you play for April not November 5th. Kentucky has plenty of time to get ready for that, what they do or who they play in the pre season makes zero difference.

 

You don't use Kansas, UNC, UL, etc to get better for March. Those games will determine WHERE you are seeded in March. Nov through Feb are not an exhibition season to work out the kinks.

Why does the mentality of "these type of games don't make us better" and "we need to play tougher competition" apply to basketball but not football?

Then don't play Transy.

 

Point taken. But they play Transy because they're Transy. Trying to help out an in-state school.

 

These kinds of games happen all the time. It's the reason we played Mississippi Valley State--to help Sean Woods. It's the reason we played Drexel in 2009-10--Buster what's-his-name was Cal's buddy back at UMass. The reason we played Tulane when Tubby was here, because one of his former assistants was head coach. In regular season and pre-season, these kinds of games are slated to benefit someone close to the program. It is what it is.

 

Whatever happened to the days of playing foreign, national teams? I remember some team one year beat UK, Kansas and maybe Duke?

Why does the mentality of "these type of games don't make us better" and "we need to play tougher competition" apply to basketball but not football?

 

Does football have exhibition games?

 

Secondly, football does not have a tourney were seeding matters.

Why does the mentality of "these type of games don't make us better" and "we need to play tougher competition" apply to basketball but not football?

 

Seriously? A DII opponent is close enough on the football side to be a challenge. Not so much for the consensus #2 team in basketball.

 

FWIW, I think Transy DID make them better, and thats why they beat up Morehouse as much as they did.

You don't use Kansas, UNC, UL, etc to get better for March. Those games will determine WHERE you are seeded in March. Nov through Feb are not an exhibition season to work out the kinks.

 

Seeding is important but the main thing about playing those games is playing against tough competition and expose your team to a high level basketball game. That's what gives teams experience and gets them ready for March.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.