Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Grant Co. Now An 'A' School?

Featured Replies

I am a former player from Grant County. I was recently looking at their schedule and noticed that they are playing 19 'A' schools. I was surprised at this. I have only been gone for 2 years but didn't think nor have I heard of Grant County lowering their school size. Maybe I am off base paralleling them playing that many 'A' schools and their own school size. I remember my senior year we played numerous 'A' schools but never 19. I don't really speak to anyone that attends that school much anymore considering I live out of state. If anyone can clarify, it would be appreciated.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just a thought but maybe they've got a pretty young team and the coach was wanting to schedule more teams that they might have success against to build up their confidence for the future. Other than that, I have no clue at all.

Grant County plays in a 5A football district with Scott, Conner, and Cooper. So their enrollment must be pretty similar, guessing around 1,100.

 

That would make their enrollment more than double of any of the A schools on their schedule.

 

I guess Grant County is going to win plenty of games this year.

I wouldn't count the A schools out till the games are played.

Grant County will have some tough matchups this season with A schools. Owen, Gallatin and Walton will be strong and very competitive.

Wow. Had not looked at their schedule til now. Based upon their previous history, they end up with a lot of games against Class A schools, just based upon geography. They've got home/away with Walton and Williamstown due to district matchups. Then you've got Gallatin County and Owen County (who they sometimes played twice a year) who are neighboring rivals. You add in a Carroll County and maybe a Henry County, and it was very easy to get to double digits in games.

 

But, that was always offset by the other end of the spectrum, where the Braves played the bigger schools in the region...Shelby, Oldham, South Oldham, Anderson and Simon Kenton (twice, due to district). This year, however, only Oldham County is on the schedule, besides the Pioneers. Puzzling!

The two possibilities that I can think of is...either Grant doesn't think they can compete with these other schools (those mentioned, plus North Oldham and MLCollins)...or, those schools don't think playing Grant County is going to do much to improve THEIR programs, and have dropped the games. I don't know.

Also in the past Grant County played schools such as Lex. Catholic, Dixie Heights, Conner, Ryle, Bourbon County and some other big schools. At one point, some people thought that Coach Kinmon's schedule might have been too tough for his teams.

Wow. Had not looked at their schedule til now. Based upon their previous history, they end up with a lot of games against Class A schools, just based upon geography. They've got home/away with Walton and Williamstown due to district matchups. Then you've got Gallatin County and Owen County (who they sometimes played twice a year) who are neighboring rivals. You add in a Carroll County and maybe a Henry County, and it was very easy to get to double digits in games.

 

But, that was always offset by the other end of the spectrum, where the Braves played the bigger schools in the region...Shelby, Oldham, South Oldham, Anderson and Simon Kenton (twice, due to district). This year, however, only Oldham County is on the schedule, besides the Pioneers. Puzzling!

The two possibilities that I can think of is...either Grant doesn't think they can compete with these other schools (those mentioned, plus North Oldham and MLCollins)...or, those schools don't think playing Grant County is going to do much to improve THEIR programs, and have dropped the games. I don't know.

 

I believe this is the most realistic of the two possibilities.

Also in the past Grant County played schools such as Lex. Catholic, Dixie Heights, Conner, Ryle, Bourbon County and some other big schools. At one point, some people thought that Coach Kinmon's schedule might have been too tough for his teams.

 

Had a coach (whom I respect very much) tell me one time, that he liked to have his schedule this way...25% of the games his team was a definitive underdog, another 25% of the games, he was the definitive favorite, and the remaining 50% were a toss up. Said it didn't always work out that way (due to some schools having up/down years)...but felt in the long run, that helped his team learn what to do a) when they were ahead, b) when they were tied, and c) when they were behind. He said the games where you may get beat by a better team, helped prepare you for the districts/region/etc.

 

So, if Coach Kinmon may have taken some grief for playing a Lex. Cath...I think it should have helped his team better in the long run, than putting a patsy on the schedule that you can beat by 35. But, I know there are others who simply look at W's and L's at the end of the year and don't consider those sort of things.

I believe this is the most realistic of the two possibilities.

 

OF course you do, I would expect nothing less.

Are the larger schools allowed to play more than 5 players at a time?

I see your point, but to think that a school with a thousand boys to pull from doesn't have an advantage over a school with 125 boys isn't very solid logic.

Grant County will have some tough matchups this season with A schools. Owen, Gallatin and Walton will be strong and very competitive.

 

All of these schools are 2A...

  • Author
All of these schools are 2A...

 

No, they're not.

All of these schools are 2A...

 

In football, maybe. My guess is that their enrollment numbers qualify them for the All-A basketball tourney.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.