13th Region Top 5 (December 17, 2005)

Believe it or not, in last year's 13th region tournament, the other teams did little or no pressing or trapping of the Hounds. I thought that it was a huge factor in Corbin's run to the regional title as they struggled against it last year also.

IMO, outside of the newcombers, there aren't many 13th Region teams that play (or are able to play) the trapping, full court game effectively.

I admit that I've only seen a few 13th Region teams so far, but, from what I've seen, outside of NL & SL, I've not seen much quickness yet. I look forward to seeing Harlan, I understand that they have good guard play.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally had to opportunity to watch Knox Central this season. For the fourth game in a row they blew a big lead but this time were able to hang on to beat Middlesboro 82-76. KC starts an 8th grader and two sophs with several freshmen in the rotation. When this young team learns to keep their composure and not play like they are down 20 instead of ahead by 20, they could surprise some people.

I finally had to opportunity to watch Knox Central this season. For the fourth game in a row they blew a big lead but this time were able to hang on to beat Middlesboro 82-76. KC starts an 8th grader and two sophs with several freshmen in the rotation. When this young team learns to keep their composure and not play like they are down 20 instead of ahead by 20, they could surprise some people.

Sounds like KC might be one of the teams to watch for in a few years.

It is obvious that South is #1 and the rest are just battling for the #2-#5 spots in the region right now. I think it will be a pretty good battle for the #2 spot in most people's opinions. I would put North at #2 right now. Not that I think they are a great team, but they are a pretty good team based on the few times I have seen them. I just am not sure who else has stepped up to take the #2 ranking so far.

I thought he played the entire game against Harlan. When did that happen?

Is that the same injury he had in football as a sophomore?

He did play the entire game, but was hurting near the end when the injury occurred. I believe it was the same injury, although I may be wrong!

I think Coach Phipps must have worked out the differences with the two young men who quit the Tigers. I think both have returned to the team. Kids sometime make hasty decisions and later regret them. Kudos to Coach Phipps for giving them a chance to rejoin the team.

I think Coach Phipps must have worked out the differences with the two young men who quit the Tigers. I think both have returned to the team. Kids sometime make hasty decisions and later regret them. Kudos to Coach Phipps for giving them a chance to rejoin the team.

I don't like to post rumors but by way of clarification, the talk around town is that a couple of players quit after the game, not before. If this is true, I'm sure it was just a heat of the moment thing, has probably already been reconciled and really not worth going into unless some evidence comes out substantiating this. Both of the kids being discussed are great kids and love the game so I'm sure nothing will come of it.

Kirk rarely calls Corbin games and he is probably the least popular official amongst Redhound fans(you may be too young to remember the Clay Co. debacle in the region a few years back when Kirk gave Clay Co. a second chance in a game that was already over and won by Corbin), so you obviously have him mistaken for someone else. He would have been the last official the Corbin coaches would have picked to call the game. :irked:
I was @ that game.

Yes but that would be like Cawood without Watkins, or any solid team without their floor leader.

I don't dispute that the loss of Cox is huge for Barbourville. Cawod played all summer without Watkins, and I'm sure it cost them several games. Harlan wasn't the same team last year when Smith was injured.

I was only clarifying that it was one player out, not several.

I personally think that Barbourville is a totally different team with and without cox on the floor. But is anybody real sure about there two players quitting. I know it was said but I was later told that was just a rumor. Anybody got any info on that one? also will cox be back before their game tomorrow?

I agree with this except Barbourville should be in the same group as Cawood, Bell, Clay, Harlan and Corbin. Cox being out was a big factor in Cawood winning by 13 at Barbourville, but Barbourville doesn't deserve to be ahead of those teams at this point. Any of the teams in that group could beat the other and could lose to teams in the next group (Cumberland, Middlesboro, Pineville, Knox Central, Jackson County) if they don't play well.
I see you dont have Lynn Camp in your next "group" but have C'land and Jackson Co. LC has beat Jackson twice so far and C'land once. Maybe they should be in your Next group as well? Lynn Camp is 6 and 2 at this point, how many game have M'boro and KC won?