Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Vick complaing about getting hit?

Featured Replies

Vick is getting hit after he throws the ball. When the QB is hit after he releases the ball that is a flag right? I think he has a valid point. Yes, the Eagles have gotten more roughing the passer calls than anyone in the NFC East but I have heard analysts discussing on more than one occasion about the late hits Vick takes. Just because the Eagles get more calls than anyone else in the NFC East does that mean he shouldn't get them when deserving? The inconsistency of the call is the problem. That and his O-Line that allows him to keep taking the late hits.

  • Replies 52
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vick is getting hit after he throws the ball. When the QB is hit after he releases the ball that is a flag right? I think he has a valid point. Yes, the Eagles have gotten more roughing the passer calls than anyone in the NFC East but I have heard analysts discussing on more than one occasion about the late hits Vick takes. Just because the Eagles get more calls than anyone else in the NFC East does that mean he shouldn't get them when deserving? The inconsistency of the call is the problem. That and his O-Line that allows him to keep taking the late hits.

 

Vicks complaint was that he didnt get the same calls everyone else gets. That is wrong, he gets more than most.

 

And just because you get hit after a release doesnt mean the hit is illegal. Defensive players arent magic, they cant just stop on a dime and they shouldnt have to. I believe they are allowed two steps after a qb releases the ball.

Vicks complaint was that he didnt get the same calls everyone else gets. That is wrong, he gets more than most.

 

And just because you get hit after a release doesnt mean the hit is illegal. Defensive players arent magic, they cant just stop on a dime and they shouldnt have to. I believe they are allowed two steps after a qb releases the ball.

 

My fault. I was thinking he was just saying he got hit late. I didn't know he was saying he doesn't get the calls that others get. I saw the numbers compared to the NFC East. How do the roughing the passer calls shape up against the rest of the league?

 

I think they do get two steps. I'd be interested in seeing how late he is getting hit.

And as far as I can remember, Eli didn't come out and whine and complain to the public about not wanting to play for San Diego. San Diego released that information after he told them privately.

 

It was known well enough that they talked about it right up until Draft day. I can remember when the Chargers selected him all the announcers were talking about how he said he would never play in San Diego and the only team he would play for was the Giants. They basically applauded the move by San Diego saying well if he wants to be like that then they may as well use him to get something out of it which they did by swapping the Giants for the QB of their choice (Phillip Rivers) on top of some additional draft picks. I can clearly remember it being an issue though so maybe it wasn't as much of a secret as you suggest.

 

 

 

Not saying this relates to the conversation you guys were having or anything but if you want to call Vick a cry baby for that then IMO what Eli did was much worst. Eli basically mocked the privledge of being a pro athlete. Unlike every other pro draftee on the planet, Eli had to get his way or no way and it has caused me to not like him ever since. Sure New York was the ideal situation, but to actually refuse to play for a team that has the rights to draft you is incredibly selfish. Most athletes are happy just to get drafted, especially top five, few to none actually refuse to play for a team unless it is the team of their choice. That's like when Stephon Curry got drafted to the Warriors, you could see it in his face he was disapointed that New York was not the destination but did he refuse to play for Golden State? Did he come out and say I will never play there you may as well not draft me or if you do you will have to trade me? No he did what every other athlete does and he is humbled enough just to be grateful and appreciative of the team who did draft him.

I didn't say you specifically, I just quoted you. But after a second look it does appear you are making an argument that others get calls that he does not, when going strictly by the numbers, that's likely not the case. Considering the fact that the Eagles have gotten more roughing flags (in their favor) than any other team in the NFC east since Vick was their starter.
I didn't make an argument for anything. I stated an opinion. What I did say is I don't think the Giants lineman did anything that should have drawn a flag but if but it would have for 90% of the QB's in the league. And saying the Eagels get more calls than any other NFC team doesn't mean anything. What's the precentage of flags versus hits for each?
I didn't make an argument for anything. I stated an opinion. What I did say is I don't think the Giants lineman did anything that should have drawn a flag but if but it would have for 90% of the QB's in the league. And saying the Eagels get more calls than any other NFC team doesn't mean anything. What's the precentage of flags versus hits for each?

 

 

Regardless of all of this, there's a reason Vick takes more hits. He's elusive and he escapes situations most QB's do not. This in return means he holds on to the ball longer, thus making him more likely to get hit. With that said the refs still throw the flags in his favor at a decent rate.

 

And no one knows whether or not it would have drawn a flag for other QB's. I don't think it was an illegal hit so I don't think it would have.

It was known well enough that they talked about it right up until Draft day. I can remember when the Chargers selected him all the announcers were talking about how he said he would never play in San Diego and the only team he would play for was the Giants. They basically applauded the move by San Diego saying well if he wants to be like that then they may as well use him to get something out of it which they did by swapping the Giants for the QB of their choice (Phillip Rivers) on top of some additional draft picks. I can clearly remember it being an issue though so maybe it wasn't as much of a secret as you suggest.

 

 

 

Not saying this relates to the conversation you guys were having or anything but if you want to call Vick a cry baby for that then IMO what Eli did was much worst. Eli basically mocked the privledge of being a pro athlete. Unlike every other pro draftee on the planet, Eli had to get his way or no way and it has caused me to not like him ever since. Sure New York was the ideal situation, but to actually refuse to play for a team that has the rights to draft you is incredibly selfish. Most athletes are happy just to get drafted, especially top five, few to none actually refuse to play for a team unless it is the team of their choice. That's like when Stephon Curry got drafted to the Warriors, you could see it in his face he was disapointed that New York was not the destination but did he refuse to play for Golden State? Did he come out and say I will never play there you may as well not draft me or if you do you will have to trade me? No he did what every other athlete does and he is humbled enough just to be grateful and appreciative of the team who did draft him.

 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion that Eli Manning is a baby because of his situation with San Diego. However, I don't see how that is related to the fact that Vick is whining about getting hit. If Eli was complaining about getting hit, it would be the same. Otherwise I don't see how it's related to this thread. With this logic, we could compare Vick being a baby to John Elway being a baby because he refused to play for Baltimore (I think?). Or we could say Carson Palmer is a big baby because he doesn't want to play for the Bengals anymore. I hope you see my point here. None of these are the same as what Vick is doing, but they could all be compared to what he is doing if we wanted to go that route.

 

And I never said that it wasn't public knowledge that Eli didn't want to play in San Diego. I said that Eli did not come out with that information. He told San Diego privately not to draft him. San Diego released what he said, or at least that's how I remember it. Again, I could be wrong and you are more than welcome to disprove it.

HB20...you made Eli relevant to the conversation by bringing him into the conversation to begin with. No one would be saying a word about Eli if you weren't comparing him to Vick and singing his praises for not complaining about the the facemask penalty that should have been. And to me, it doesn't matter whether Eli went to the public or the Chargers brought out the information. Either way it was extremely juvenile and like dolamite, I've had a hard time respecting him since. He honestly acted like he was entitled and that is something that doesn't sit well with me, especially when you haven't even proven yourself as a professional athlete.

 

As for Vick...if it gets him more calls, who cares that he complained. And I will still stand by the fact that I feel a lot of his complaints were actually directed towards his O-linemen and not necessarily the officials, but he's not going to blatantly sell them out. His comments that were something like, "The refs need to do their jobs, we all need to do our jobs on the field" was totally directly at them IMO.

Edited by MJAlltheWay24

I think Ben takes more shots late than Vick.

I think Ben takes more shots late than Vick.

 

I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I think Ben takes more hits (in general, not necessarily late) than anyone in the league. Seems like he's always getting hit, spins out of it or just doesn't go down, and then complete a huge pass to someone.

HB20...you made Eli relevant to the conversation by bringing him into the conversation to begin with. No one would be saying a word about Eli if you weren't comparing him to Vick and singing his praises for not complaining about the the facemask penalty that should have been. And to me, it doesn't matter whether Eli went to the public or the Chargers brought out the information. Either way it was extremely juvenile and like dolamite, I've had a hard time respecting him since. He honestly acted like he was entitled and that is something that doesn't sit well with me, especially when you haven't even proven yourself as a professional athlete.

 

As for Vick...if it gets him more calls, who cares that he complained. And I will still stand by the fact that I feel a lot of his complaints were actually directed towards his O-linemen and not necessarily the officials, but he's not going to blatantly sell them out. His comments that were something like, "The refs need to do their jobs, we all need to do our jobs on the field" was totally directly at them IMO.

 

I did, by saying that Eli didn't complain when Babin blatantly grabbed his facemask on 3rd down, causing him to get sacked. No flag was thrown. See the connection? It has to do with getting hit, and no flag being thrown...It has nothing to do with Eli's rookie year and where he wanted to play.

 

And for the record, I don't care if you respect Eli. It has no effect on my life whether you do or not. I'd say Eli feels the same way. :lol: And I still feel this has absolutely no relevance to the thread. You've made your point, you don't like what he did. There's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said on that topic. If you want to keep talking about it, so be it...but I'm not going to respond anymore regarding that topic.

 

So in your opinion it's okay for Vick to whine and complain (even if his complaints aren't legit) if it helps him get what he wants? Interesting.

 

Poetic injustice aside, Vick's complaints about NFL officials allowing him to be hit more, and hit later, than other quarterbacks can probably only lead to more woe for him and the Eagles. The men in the striped shirts don't like being accused of playing favorites.

 

And yes, he was talking about the refs. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

 

"The refs have to do their job and I'm not blaming the referees by any stretch, so let's not get it twisted here," Vick said. "I'm just saying I think everybody on the field should do their job."

 

Vick said "absolutely" when asked if he feels he doesn't get the calls that other elite QBs get.

 

"I mean, you all see it," Vick said. "There's no reason for me to go into a big dissertation about why I'm not getting the calls. The refs, they have to do their job as well. I even mentioned it in training camp to the refs when we had our little meeting, just for precaution. But hey, I don't know."

 

"I was trying to protect myself," Vick said. "Still, I didn't get a flag and that's pretty much been the story for the last three weeks. I mean, obviously at some point, something catastrophic is going to happen. I broke my hand."

 

How in the world does any of those quotes make you think he's talking about his O-Line?

 

LINK

You've made your point, you don't like what he did. There's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said on that topic.

 

And I believe you've done the same with your thoughts about Vick's complaining.

 

So in your opinion it's okay for Vick to whine and complain (even if his complaints aren't legit) if it helps him get what he wants? Interesting.

 

And sure I think its okay. Professional athletes and coaches gripe about officiating all the time. Nothing new. Not sure why this is making such a big splash on ESPN. You'd think the wildcard playoff races would be enough excitment.

 

 

How in the world does any of those quotes make you think he's talking about his O-Line?

 

 

For me its in the first line you quoted, "I'm just saying I think everybody on the field should do their job." I'm not in Vick's head, so my opinion could be wrong. But I really feel like when he said that it was him also speaking about his O-linemen without blatantly calling them out. Someone else has made the same assumption.

And I believe you've done the same with your thoughts about Vick's complaining.

 

You are obviously missing the point. What I meant by that, is that there are other threads for that topic to be discussed if you feel like digging them up. It's irrelevant in this discussion, IMO.

 

And sure I think its okay. Professional athletes and coaches gripe about officiating all the time. Nothing new. Not sure why this is making such a big splash on ESPN. You'd think the wildcard playoff races would be enough excitment.

 

I don't watch ESPN, so I don't know how much of a splash it made. I just read a few articles about it. However, I think there are better ways to go about getting what you want than whining and complaining, and then following that up by saying, "but I'm not complaining" like Vick did. Does he really think we're that stupid?

 

For me its in the first line you quoted, "I'm just saying I think everybody on the field should do their job." I'm not in Vick's head, so my opinion could be wrong. But I really feel like when he said that it was him also speaking about his O-linemen without blatantly calling them out. Someone else has made the same assumption.

 

And right before he said that he mentioned the refs. And right after that he mentioned the refs "doing their job". He was talking about the refs...it's very obvious.

I don't watch ESPN, so I don't know how much of a splash it made. I just read a few articles about it. However, I think there are better ways to go about getting what you want than whining and complaining, and then following that up by saying, "but I'm not complaining" like Vick did. Does he really think we're that stupid?

 

He probably doesn't care what we think...just like Eli doesn't/didn't.

He probably doesn't care what we think...just like Eli doesn't/didn't.

 

I can see that our conversation has ran it's course. :lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.