September 28, 201115 yr I can see that our conversation has ran it's course. :lol: Haha, pretty much. Not much more can be said about it.
September 29, 201115 yr I don't have the numbers to prove it, but I think Ben takes more hits (in general, not necessarily late) than anyone in the league. Seems like he's always getting hit, spins out of it or just doesn't go down, and then complete a huge pass to someone. He has to be the hardest QB in the league to bring down.
September 30, 201115 yr Even with the risk of everyone being done with this thread, I'm still going to post this here and hope those of you who still feel Vick gets cheated from time to time take a look. Refs playing favorites? Check the facts RPS PER 100 PASSES Quarterback Calls per 100 passes J. Campbell 1.46 J. Cutler 1.28 C. McCoy 1.20 J. Clausen 1.00 S. Bradford 1.00 K. Orton 0.99 M. Stafford 0.93 R. Fitzpatrick 0.91 M. Vick 0.88 M. Cassel 0.75 D. McNabb 0.72 S. Hill 0.72 C. Palmer 0.68 C. Henne 0.67 D. Anderson 0.61 J. Kitna 0.61 P. Rivers 0.60 M. Ryan 0.58 K. Collins 0.53 A. Rodgers 0.52 D. Brees 0.51 A. Smith 0.48 R. Grossman 0.40 M. Sanchez 0.32 B. Favre 0.28 B. Roethlisberger 0.20 M. Hasselbeck 0.18 J. Freeman 0.17 E. Manning 0.16 T. Brady 0.16 M. Schaub 0.15 P. Manning 0.15 D. Garrard 0.00 J. Flacco 0.00 K. Kolb 0.00 T. Romo 0.00 Other* 0.73 I have highlighted a few names. Vick is 9th on the list, higher than Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, etc. Some of you also agreed with Adam Schefter when he said this: Michael Vick accomplished what he set out to do. The refs will watch him closer? That is what ESPN’s Adam Schefter said. That might be more ridiculous than what Michael Vick said. I doubt that Adam has ever worn a striped shirt, and if he has, it sure wasn’t in the NFL. Did Jon Gruden get a bunch more calls in his favor because he constantly berated officials on the sideline? No! Will Michael Vick get more calls from the referees because he threw them under the bus and now they are going to watch him closer? Ridiculous! Will the referees, who Mike Vick threw under the bus, look the other way and not protect him since he took that shot at them and then tried to recant by saying he was a bit “too candid?” That would seem more likely, but it is far from the truth. The referees will keep trying to do the best job they can regardless of what Vick, the Eagles, or Schefter says. The group of 17 referees is made up of true professionals and while they do make mistakes, as we all do, they have always remained unaffected by what is said to them or about them. They learned that skill early when they started out working Pop Warner games and getting berated by parents. LINK
September 30, 201115 yr Even with the risk of everyone being done with this thread, I'm still going to post this here and hope those of you who still feel Vick gets cheated from time to time take a look. Refs playing favorites? Check the facts RPS PER 100 PASSES Quarterback Calls per 100 passes I have highlighted a few names. Vick is 9th on the list, higher than Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, etc. Some of you also agreed with Adam Schefter when he said this: Michael Vick accomplished what he set out to do. The refs will watch him closer? That is what ESPN’s Adam Schefter said. That might be more ridiculous than what Michael Vick said. I doubt that Adam has ever worn a striped shirt, and if he has, it sure wasn’t in the NFL. Did Jon Gruden get a bunch more calls in his favor because he constantly berated officials on the sideline? No! Will Michael Vick get more calls from the referees because he threw them under the bus and now they are going to watch him closer? Ridiculous! Will the referees, who Mike Vick threw under the bus, look the other way and not protect him since he took that shot at them and then tried to recant by saying he was a bit “too candid?” That would seem more likely, but it is far from the truth. The referees will keep trying to do the best job they can regardless of what Vick, the Eagles, or Schefter says. The group of 17 referees is made up of true professionals and while they do make mistakes, as we all do, they have always remained unaffected by what is said to them or about them. They learned that skill early when they started out working Pop Warner games and getting berated by parents. LINK What does that list prove? If I throw 100 passes, only get touched by the D 2 times in those 100 passes but both are late hits and flagged then I'm at the top of that list. But if you throw 100 passes, get hit 10 times with no flags you are at the bottom even though you got hit more. How many times did Vick get hit versus the highlighted names? Manning almost never gets hit unless it's a sack and even then it doesn't happen often. Same with Brady.
September 30, 201115 yr What does that list prove? If I throw 100 passes, only get touched by the D 2 times in those 100 passes but both are late hits and flagged then I'm at the top of that list. But if you throw 100 passes, get hit 10 times with no flags you are at the bottom even though you got hit more. How many times did Vick get hit versus the highlighted names? Manning almost never gets hit unless it's a sack and even then it doesn't happen often. Same with Brady. Exactly. The # of attempts is irrelevant. Brady and Manning obviously won't have that many flags per attempts because they are so good at moving around to avoid the rush and getting the ball out quick. We need to see a comparable number of hits. And, if you wanted to get more specific, hits in the pocket versus hits outside of the pocket. And, you could even break that down further to hits beyond the line of scrimmage as a runner and hits behind the line when passing is still an option. I saw Tony Dungy on PTI yesterday and I think he made a good point. It is human nature to potentially view guys like Vick and Roethlisberger differently than guys like Manning and Brady. To be clear, I'm not defending either position. It is what it is. Sometimes calls are missed, sometimes they aren't, sometimes they give guys calls they shouldn't, etc. It happens, it is part of the game. The league, IMO, has done enough to protect the QB. I don't have a problem with striving for more consistency in how it is called, but I don't think that is necessarily applicable to certain players. I think it could just easily be attributed to different officials and crews and how they choose to call the hits.
September 30, 201115 yr What does that list prove? If I throw 100 passes, only get touched by the D 2 times in those 100 passes but both are late hits and flagged then I'm at the top of that list. But if you throw 100 passes, get hit 10 times with no flags you are at the bottom even though you got hit more. How many times did Vick get hit versus the highlighted names? Manning almost never gets hit unless it's a sack and even then it doesn't happen often. Same with Brady. I dont watch every team but I do know tht Eli took a lot of hits last year and since he only took 15 sacks or so most of them were after the throw. Yet he is much lower than Vick. And if you dont feel like these numbers work, your more than welcome to watch every single play of every single game last year. I do not have that kind of time. :lol:
September 30, 201115 yr Exactly. The # of attempts is irrelevant. Brady and Manning obviously won't have that many flags per attempts because they are so good at moving around to avoid the rush and getting the ball out quick. We need to see a comparable number of hits. And, if you wanted to get more specific, hits in the pocket versus hits outside of the pocket. And, you could even break that down further to hits beyond the line of scrimmage as a runner and hits behind the line when passing is still an option. I saw Tony Dungy on PTI yesterday and I think he made a good point. It is human nature to potentially view guys like Vick and Roethlisberger differently than guys like Manning and Brady. To be clear, I'm not defending either position. It is what it is. Sometimes calls are missed, sometimes they aren't, sometimes they give guys calls they shouldn't, etc. It happens, it is part of the game. The league, IMO, has done enough to protect the QB. I don't have a problem with striving for more consistency in how it is called, but I don't think that is necessarily applicable to certain players. I think it could just easily be attributed to different officials and crews and how they choose to call the hits. The main thing is, refs dont pick favorites. They dont ignore roughing penalties on Vick and make them up for Peyton. Vick gets his fair share of roughing penalties.
September 30, 201115 yr ^I agree with that for the most part. I do think star players, particularly QB's (Vick included), receive some calls from time to time that others don't. But, there are calls that are missed as well. I also think certain defensive players have reputations that make flags more likely on borderline hits that other guys may not get flagged for. But, those are just general issues to me that are applicable to every sport.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.