Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Women's role in church

Featured Replies

:lol:

 

You think God would be okay with treating women inferiorly in the church?

 

Christians preach tolerance, but then won't even tolerate a woman in a leadership role? Not very Christ like.

 

I don't "want" anything from you. I gave my opinion on the topic. You, for whatever reason, decided to take offense to my belief.

 

And just for the record, you're saying that God doesn't care what I think, but that he does care what you think? That's comical.

 

I don't think women are treated as inferiors in the Catholic church. I certainly don't treat nuns or female lay ministers inferiorly. They have all of my respect. My position is that people are given roles to fill by God - vocations. God/Christ established one of those vocations - for men - to be that of Apostles and priests.

 

I think your view of tolerance is a bit skewed as well. Tolerance does not mean that there aren't core beliefs or rules that shouldn't be adhered to. What if a Catholic man were to say that they believed they should be able to have 10 wives, because God told Noah to go forth and prosper? Should that be "tolerated" too?

  • Replies 105
  • Views 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^You're making my point with your second paragraph. Personal beliefs on the example you mentioned aside, my point is, that times have changed since the Bible was written. Women are now supposed to be treated as equals to men. Back then, they were subserveant. Having multiple wasn't uncommon in that time, today it's out of the norm. The Catholic church needs to "get with the times", for lack of a better way of saying it.

CWB states it very well. Women have always played a vital role in the Church -- beginning with the Annunciation to Mary, continuing on through the women who were the first to discover the resurection and on to the present day. The Church does not ordain women because, as already stated, sacred scripture and historic tradition lead us away from it.

 

Everyone has a vocation, which is their station in life and the role the play in the life of the Church as the body of Christ. Some are married, some single; some are priests, some are nuns. No one role is any less important to the daily functions of parish life. It's our responsibility to live out whatever our vocation might be to the best of our ability, and in keeping with Christ's teachings.

 

Yes, men can be ordained; however, even among the ordained there is a set hierarchy or "order" established. In fact, this order is where we get the word "ordained." So everyone has a role in the community (if they choose to fulfill it) and each has its own set of honors and privileges, duties and responsibilities.

^You're making my point with your second paragraph. Personal beliefs on the example you mentioned aside, my point is, that times have changed since the Bible was written. Women are now supposed to be treated as equals to men. Back then, they were subserveant. Having multiple wasn't uncommon in that time, today it's out of the norm. The Catholic church needs to "get with the times", for lack of a better way of saying it.

 

Times have changed and the treatment of women by society at large has changed, yes. But the word of God hasn't changed. Jesus did nothing to treat women as subservient. Your "get with the times" example doesn't hold much water either. Jesus and His Apostles didn't follow society's rules. That is established all over in the Gospels and the New Testament. Had they wanted to make women Apostles, what was stopping them? Society's opinion of right and wrong is subjective, and isn't always correct. The society of the Nazis believed that killing the Jews was "the norm". Does that make it right?

I'd say that Bernice Hicks had a pivotal role at Christ's Gospel Evangelical Church .

, and hide behind the "its always been that way" or "it's in the Bible excuse".

 

IF churches use the bible as a basis for all of their decisions then you cannot accuse them of making excuses if the bible contradicts political correction.

IF churches use the bible as a basis for all of their decisions then you cannot accuse them of making excuses if the bible contradicts political correction.

 

The Bible contradicts itself.

The Bible contradicts itself.

 

Weak argument. You should really read a little more on that if you truly believe it.

 

And besides, if you're going to stick to your argument about societal norms being the basis for the Church's "need to get with the times", you don't think society ever contradicts itself?

Let's not forget the woman's all important role of cracking the whip at home and getting the family to church! Priceless.

 

Well said. And in my opinion, the most important role.

:confused: He probably doesn't. Why do you think God cares what any of us think?

 

God definitely knows...and cares. Check out Psalm 139:1-6

 

1 O Lord, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether. 5 You have hedged me behind and before, And laid

Your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it.

Today I went to the Funeral of a friend of mines Mom. It was held at a Baptist Church here in Louisville. The Church is quite famous, it has a Senior Pastor whio is a woman and several deacons who are also female. The Funeral was lead by the preacher. My friend asked me if I had a problem with it, I said no, I'm here for you and your family.

 

God does care what we think, he loves us.

The Bible contradicts itself.

 

Would you mind providing an example or two?

:lol:

 

You think God would be okay with treating women inferiorly in the church?

 

Christians preach tolerance, but then won't even tolerate a woman in a leadership role? Not very Christ like.

 

I don't "want" anything from you. I gave my opinion on the topic. You, for whatever reason, decided to take offense to my belief.

 

And just for the record, you're saying that God doesn't care what I think, but that he does care what you think? That's comical.

 

You called the beliefs of Catholics the world over "humorous" in your very first post. That, if anything, is what I took offense to.

 

And I did not say that I thought God cares about what I think think and not about what you think. The point I was going to make is that my belief for knowing that God cares is rooted in faith and that my faith is, at least in part, derived from a 2,000 year old tradition that you not only mock but reject the idea that it could have any value in the discussion whatsoever. On the contrary, I think God cares a great deal about what you think, but I was interested in what led you to the conclusion that God, if he exists, cares about you in any way if not through the means of scripture and tradition you seem to have so much revulsion toward. I apologize for not making the point immediately and it wasn't my intent to attack you in any way.

The Bible contradicts itself.

 

Please show me where in the Bible it contradicts itself.

Haven't read any posts in here yet, thought I would give my opinion before doing so.

 

I find it humerous how churches openly discriminate against women, and hide behind the "its always been that way" or "it's in the Bible excuse". Why can't a woman be a preacher or a rabbi or a priest?

 

Would God/Christ really object to a woman leading his congregation? I tend to think he'd be okay with it. :idunno:

 

Yeah...the ol' "in the Bible excuse" is silly for a Christian to use. I mean its only the primary and central source of the teachings of Jesus and his apostles that we have today. Why would we care what it has to say, right?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.