Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

4 Onside Kicks To Start the Game

Featured Replies

Team scored a TD on its first drive. They then did an onside kick. Recovered. Scored another TD. Repeated this until the other team finally recovered. The other team was down 29-0 before their offense got onto the field.

 

Coach NEVER punts. Always does an onside kick. Never returns a punt.

 

Team is #3 overall in Arkansas.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Must have a really good defense.

 

Not necessarily. They won the game 64-34.

Gutless football IMO. I don't mind teams onside kicking everytime because its great field position, but I think its honestly really sad. I'm of the mindset that I want to kick it deep, smack a team in the mouth for 3 plays & make them punt, and then drive it down the field to score and start it all over again.

 

I think the coach for this team is really creative, and I don't mind the random onside kick every now and then (Sean Payton's in the SB comes to mind), but I'm too much of a traditionalist to enjoy this type of strategy.

 

However I can endorse never punting, I like that mentality.

  • Author
Gutless football IMO. I don't mind teams onside kicking everytime because its great field position, but I think its honestly really sad. I'm of the mindset that I want to kick it deep, smack a team in the mouth for 3 plays & make them punt, and then drive it down the field to score and start it all over again.

 

I think the coach for this team is really creative, and I don't mind the random onside kick every now and then (Sean Payton's in the SB comes to mind), but I'm too much of a traditionalist to enjoy this type of strategy.

 

I would argue the opposite. It takes a lot of guts to do what he does. It takes no guts to do what everyone thinks is safe.

I would argue the opposite. It takes a lot of guts to do what he does. It takes no guts to do what everyone thinks is safe.

 

I can see that argument. But to me it seems like a sign of weakness.

I whole heartedly agree with his entire mindset, however, I would maybe tweak a couple things as needed:

 

1) I agree totally with onside kicking, the only time I couldn't see doing it is if you have a guy that automatically can get it to the endzone, even then, I'd still kick it onside a fair share. I've seen and still see several teams over the years who actually have fairly good defense, but the opposing team returns the kickoffs to the 40-50 yard line on average. You show me a great defense and Ill show you a team that has a kicker that makes the opposing teams start on the 20 everytime more times than not. Granted, there are crappy defenses who have kickers get it to the endzone, too.

 

2) I agree completely about not fielding punts. I see way more kids in high school that have a greater chance of fumbling the punt than they do of catching it and getting any sort of positive yardage that makes any difference. Now, if you have a HS version of Devon Hester, then return the thing.

 

3) I agree with not punting, to an extent. I can't rationale not putning on your own 8 yard line when it's 4th and 15+. However, that's one of those situational things. If you have a HS version of Ryan Tydlacka (sp?), then boot it; if you have a kid that struggles to net 20 yards a punt; to heck with it, roll the dice.

 

4) Go for 2 everytime! I saw an article a couple years ago about a coach in Illinois I think, where he goes for 2 all the time and his rationale was great. He said, even if you only get 1/2 of your 2 pt conversions, then that's the same as being automatic at PAT. I think his teams were something like 70% on 2 pt conversion rates.

 

This is great stuff.

  • Author
I can see that argument. But to me it seems like a sign of weakness.

 

He is playing %s.

He is playing %s.

 

He's scared to play defense.

  • Author
He's scared to play defense.

 

Do you get points for playing defense?

I can see both of your viewpoints, but in the end, he's winning. Like the first poster said, "whatever works."

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.