Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

King Rex: The First John Wall

Featured Replies

Thanks Clyde for posting this video...I'll watch this a few more times I'm sure. I forgot how sweet his leaner was. Kid could score in a variety of ways.

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair question indeed. His style and athletic ability were not what we were used to seeing from white kids from KY.

 

I'd say that plays into it. What also plays into it is the fact that Rex was a Louisville fan who only chose UK after Wildcat fans made his life unbearable until signing with UK.

No doubt he was a fan favorite. I was in Freedom Hall when he scored 30+ points (I think) and turned that venerable old basketball palace into Rupp Arena West.

My opinion is that his being white undoubtedly enhanced his appeal to the Blue faithful. I don't think there is any question about that.

No doubt he was a fan favorite. I was in Freedom Hall when he scored 30+ points (I think) and turned that venerable old basketball palace into Rupp Arena West.

My opinion is that his being white undoubtedly enhanced his appeal to the Blue faithful. I don't think there is any question about that.

 

Not that it's a hard call to make. We are talking about a fan base that just a couple years before Rex's arrival saw people calling Cawood to complain about five black players being in the game at the same time. To Cawood's credit, he quickly gave those jokers the click the same way he would the incessant callers who wondered "Why ain't Richie starting?"

A kid in my first grade class had a "King Rex" t-shirt that I remember well. I'm pretty sure they don't make college player t-shirts anymore (except maybe a number with no name). That tells me a good deal about his popularity.

I'd say that plays into it. What also plays into it is the fact that Rex was a Louisville fan who only chose UK after Wildcat fans made his life unbearable until signing with UK.

 

Rex was interviewed by Matt Jones on KSR a couple of weeks ago & I was surprised to hear him (in that venue, at least) admit his desire to attend UL. A lot of people forget that about Rex.

Is it okay to admit that UK must have truly sweetened the deal for Rex to rebuke UL and come to UK?

 

I mean, he was at UK before Dwayne Casey was busted with the Emery envelope........

Is it okay to admit that UK must have truly sweetened the deal for Rex to rebuke UL and come to UK?

 

I mean, he was at UK before Dwayne Casey was busted with the Emery envelope........

 

Considering in those days you could go to Keeneland and hang out at the $50 minimum window and collect autographs if you brought your UK hoops game program with you, I think it's fair to say there was some incentive involved.

Is it okay to admit that UK must have truly sweetened the deal for Rex to rebuke UL and come to UK?

 

I mean, he was at UK before Dwayne Casey was busted with the Emery envelope........

 

I don't doubt that for a second. Just like I don't doubt it's still happening @ UK. Just like I don't doubt it's still happening at every other major D-1 program in the country.

 

It is what it is.

I don't doubt that for a second. Just like I don't doubt it's still happening @ UK. Just like I don't doubt it's still happening at every other major D-1 program in the country.

 

It is what it is.

 

Very true indeed. Very true.

Is it okay to admit that UK must have truly sweetened the deal for Rex to rebuke UL and come to UK?

 

I mean, he was at UK before Dwayne Casey was busted with the Emery envelope........

 

I had lunch with a former college coach that was close to the scene in those days and I have no reason not to believe the things he has told me as he is very well connected. He told me that Rex's parents never saw a thing during his recruitment...but his extended family was given many, many things. Not just from UK. He said he before that or after has never seen two schools shell out as much for a player as UL/UK did for Rex.

He also went on to say, the first time he worked Rex out, with UL players when Rex was a frosh in HS he was holding his own. He also said Rex was shown a VERY good time on that trip.

That's good stuff, FCT.

 

Makes me wish I could work for the NCAA just to see what all these schools do for the athletes. I'd be horrible though because I'd look the other way alot.

 

 

 

Except for North Carolina, Tennesse and Florida. :D

Except for North Carolina, Tennesse and Florida. :D

 

:lol:

Any truth to the rumor that Rex had an IROC that actually said IREX on it?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.