September 15, 201115 yr Any truth to the rumor that Rex had an IROC that actually said IREX on it? I heard that for years, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
September 15, 201115 yr If you're not following King Rex on Twitter, do yourself a favor and do so asap. If you're not on Twitter, it's worth joining just so you can following Rex. Me and him decided last night that we're going to find a way into the Craft Center for pickup games. I told him I can still shoot the 3-pointer and foul. He said he can still argue the crap out of the score. Sounds like a winning combo...And yes, he's a cool enough guy to actually interact with fans and he's about as funny as anyone I've talked to.
September 17, 201115 yr Rex has been my all-time favorite basketball player since I watched him light up Henry Clay in Memorial for 45 points. Rex brought something to the game that I hadn't seen before and even more than that, he brought something to pop culture in Kentucky. The above question about race is certainly a fair question. When Rex was coming up, I was in 7th and 8th grade and every boy on my team had the same hair cut and our coach took #3 off the team. It caused too much trouble. At least in my part of Eastern Kentucky that I grew up in, our school was all white and I do think that caused more mass appeal. Now, that doesn't mean that we didn't have tons of african american players at UK that we loved as we loved them all really. Rex was just different. I have a friend that played at UK during Rex's stay there and he says that what we see on Twitter is Rex being Rex. He says he was an amazing teammate and was hilarious non-stop. One of my favorite Rex twitter moments is when he said Reggie Hanson should be an 'Unforgettable' also. I remember that game, it was added to the schedule either after Rex commited to UK or right before and was televised on WKYT. Rex I think was sick and probably wouldn't have played except this was a made for TV game. He hit the winning shot over a future teammate (anybody remember who?) in the late seconds of the game. I agree 100% about Reggie, he and Rex were very good friends. I saw Rex in Somerset with Reggie a couple of times.
September 18, 201115 yr I remember that game, it was added to the schedule either after Rex commited to UK or right before and was televised on WKYT. Rex I think was sick and probably wouldn't have played except this was a made for TV game. He hit the winning shot over a future teammate (anybody remember who?) in the late seconds of the game. I agree 100% about Reggie, he and Rex were very good friends. I saw Rex in Somerset with Reggie a couple of times. It was over Sean Sutton.
September 21, 201115 yr If you're not following King Rex on Twitter, do yourself a favor and do so asap. If you're not on Twitter, it's worth joining just so you can following Rex. Me and him decided last night that we're going to find a way into the Craft Center for pickup games. I told him I can still shoot the 3-pointer and foul. He said he can still argue the crap out of the score. Sounds like a winning combo...And yes, he's a cool enough guy to actually interact with fans and he's about as funny as anyone I've talked to. My favorite twitter follow - Coco excluded - and he seems to be about as cool as anyone out there.
September 21, 201115 yr That's good stuff, FCT. Makes me wish I could work for the NCAA just to see what all these schools do for the athletes. I'd be horrible though because I'd look the other way alot. Except for North Carolina, Tennesse and Florida. I'm fortunate to have become a good friend of his and he has stories for days...and loves to name drop! Haha. I agree 100 percent on who you wouldn't turn your head on. Kudos!
September 21, 201115 yr I heard that for years, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. He showed a picture of his IROC on Twitter the other night, it said IROC. I too heard the IREX stuff too.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.