NCC 42 Mayfield 7

Birdsfan

I'm a Russell guy and based on what they did with Newport, you may be correct. However, based on what Cov Cath did to them, I would say Lex Cath would be a bit of a stretch and Trinity....well, that just wouldn't happen.

Russell I agree obviously. LexCath would have been interesting. Remember CovCath lost only by a few in a shootout. CovCath was probably the 2nd best 3A team this year. Trinity I don't know. But this lil 1A school had alot of fire power this year.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LexCath would have been interesting. Remember CovCath lost only by a few in a shootout. CovCath was probably the 2nd best 3A team this year.

I understand, but how interesting was the 42 point loss to the Cov Cath team? I think I'm right on the score. Let's say Lex Cath and Cov Cath for sake of argument are equal. Then wouldn't you think Lex Cath would equally dismantle NCC?

Don't take me wrong. I really like the team NCC had this year and am really glad they were 1A and not 2A. I'm just trying to give you a non-bias opinion.

I understand, but how interesting was the 42 point loss to the Cov Cath team? I think I'm right on the score. Let's say Lex Cath and Cov Cath for sake of argument are equal. Then wouldn't you think Lex Cath would equally dismantle NCC?

Don't take me wrong. I really like the team NCC had this year and am really glad they were 1A and not 2A. I'm just trying to give you a non-bias opinion.

Yeah but they lost early on to CCH didn't they? CCH was no joke as I said a top 5 team in the state. NCC was clicking on all cylinders the last few weeks. Would have been fun to have seen although LC would have been the favorite no doubt.

Yeah but they lost early on to CCH didn't they? CCH was no joke as I said a top 5 team in the state. NCC was clicking on all cylinders the last few weeks. Would have been fun to have seen although LC would have been the favorite no doubt.

I agree. But all those teams..NCC, CCH, Lex Cath were clicking on all cylinders later in the season. NCC and Lex Cath proved it. I'm sure when CCH lost to Lex Cath that they were improved since the NCC game as well.

Maybe NCC should schedule Lex Cath. I have a feeling, they are going to be a team in the hunt year in and year out.

From a Mayfield fan, congrats and well deserved victory tonight..you guys were without a doubt the cream of the crop in 1a this year..Mayfield had a fine season and they were playing very well coming in, but, as alot of posters on here said, they hadn't been challenged by a very solid passing team this year and once they got down, they had to get away from the ball control, rushing game, which isn't there strength...Early in the game on the opening drive, Mayfield was moving the ball well and had it deep in NCC territory..possibly, if they score there and get some momentum, it could have been a closer game, but, I think NCC still would have won.

Again, congratulations Breds..

CC must be one heck of a team to have beaten you guys like that, but, I'd venture to say, if you played them now, that game would have been alot closer...

I agree. But all those teams..NCC, CCH, Lex Cath were clicking on all cylinders later in the season. NCC and Lex Cath proved it. I'm sure when CCH lost to Lex Cath that they were improved since the NCC game as well.

Maybe NCC should schedule Lex Cath. I have a feeling, they are going to be a team in the hunt year in and year out.

I hope so today and good luck to your Russell boys I hope to see them and Newport go at it again. Sure was fun.

Congrats big time to NC. This was a special group of kids and a season to remember. And, they lost a very fine player for the season in week 3 at our place who I think started both ways. NC kept getting better and better each week, especially in the playoffs. The last 4 games were nothing short of sensational in dominating Bellevue, LCA, Somerset and Mayfield. This could not have happened to a finer man than Coach S. Celebrate and enjoy, Breds!!!!

I think Mayfield fell victim to what NCC used to fall victim to all the years Beechwood was dominant in 1A.

What is that you ask?

It is being successful being one-dimensional on offense and defense. Mayfield on offense was able to pound teams this year with a big OL and a big FB and some hard running RBs. Problem is when you finally run into a team that can stop that (and note that it took all the way to the finals) you suddenly are out of your comfort zone and in trouble. On defense they shut down other teams by controling the run and making teams pass in passing situations.

Many a year NCC had some pretty good running teams but when Beechwood was able to stop that they were forced to throw the ball in down and distances they didn't like.

As for tonight's game:

Breds got the HUGE turnover on Mayfield's first drive and I don't think Mayfield thought NCC could throw in the rain that started coming down pretty heavy. They were of course wrong.

I thought Mayfield may have abondoned the run a little early when they fell behind but I don't know if their passing game was better than what it showed tonight.

As mentioned NCC played a nearly perfect game and if they didn't have some miscommunication with the refs on timeouts near the end of the half it could have been 35-0 at the half. Some penalties kept it from getting really lopsided early in the second half and NCC subbed out completely on defense once it was 42-0 with 7 minutes left in the game.