Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Playing for your Dad

Featured Replies

Since it is Fathers Day, what is the worst thing about playing on a team coached by your father? Can you think of a successful father/son situation from the past?

Cannon Simpson played for his father at Bowling Green High School and advanced to the state semis in 1991 I believe.

What about the Dawns at NCC?

You beat me to it. Only issue he had was folks thought he could have played him more as a frosh. Always harder on your own kid.

The answer to the first question is that many of us who have coached our children struggled with NOT coaching after the game or practice on the way home.

  • Author

So many dynamics to a father/son coaching situation.....other players on the team, parents of the other players on the team, who starts and who gets the minutes. Winning makes it a bit easier but if your not winning it can be a real problem for everyone.

 

Is it tougher on the player or the coach?

Kyle Macy played for his dad in Indiana in High School and has fond memories of it to this day. He was an All American at UK, so I guess it was successful.

I had the pleasure of coaching my son during his high school days. He and I handled it well and enjoyed it very much. His mother didn't like me a lot of times. She was my toughest parent and didn't like me getting after her baby. Many times after games I knew I should just fall asleep on the couch to please her.

  • Author
I had the pleasure of coaching my son during his high school days. He and I handled it well and enjoyed it very much. His mother didn't like me a lot of times. She was my toughest parent and didn't like me getting after her baby. Many times after games I knew I should just fall asleep on the couch to please her.

 

Great response.

I don't remember how successful they were as a team because it was an era where the UK Wildcats ruled the SEC, but I remember watching Pete Maravich playing for his Dad, Press, at LSU.

Since this is a site for bluegrass preps, I would suggest Shannon Fraley, who played for his father Dave on Pulaski County's state championship back during the Reggie Hanson days.

You beat me to it. Only issue he had was folks thought he could have played him more as a frosh. Always harder on your own kid.

 

That was my senior year. He could have and should have.

Mike Jones and his son Micheal were very successful. Todd Central as an 8th Grader and Frosh and then on to Harlan High School where they won a couple of All A Classics as well as at 2 trips to the Sweet 16. I also think Michael led the state in assists a couple of years and still is either at the top or close to the state record for FT percentage.

Jerry Garris at Meade Co. has 2 sons that play for him.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.