Track the NL Central Champion Reds (Week 4)

It's an overreaction to a small sample size. If it is June and there is still an issue get back to me...

I have already said so. I also asked you IF it continues to be a problem how you would handle it and you said you'd keep him in there.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have already said so. I also asked you IF it continues to be a problem how you would handle it and you said you'd keep him in there.

And if he hasn't figured it out by June I might think about working in a sprained ankle excuse for some DL time...

Volquez has proven himself over the last couple of years, enough that he gets the benefit of the doubt just three weeks into the season.

One good season does not mean he has proven himself. There is always a chance that even as great as his stuff is, that he just might not get it figured out again. There has been plenty of pictures through time who has had great stuff, but just couldn't use it right. I am not saying that is the case with him, because I do think he will get it together or at least I hope. We need a #1 guy, and he right now is the only guy with the right stuff to do that. He has had just that one good year though, so I don't think we can say that one year is how he really is. Its a wait and see thing, and hope for the best with him IMO.

One good season does not mean he has proven himself. There is always a chance that even as great as his stuff is, that he just might not get it figured out again. There has been plenty of pictures through time who has had great stuff, but just couldn't use it right. I am not saying that is the case with him, because I do think he will get it together or at least I hope. We need a #1 guy, and he right now is the only guy with the right stuff to do that. He has had just that one good year though, so I don't think we can say that one year is how he really is. Its a wait and see thing, and hope for the best with him IMO.
In his time with the Reds, he has proven himself worthy of a spot in the rotation ... that was the case even last year, upon his return.

You don't make a knee-jerk reaction on a guy like that just four starts into the season, unless there is a current health question. Every guy has good and bad stretches, so he gets time to straighten things out. If/when Cueto and Bailey are ready to rejoin the team at the end of the month, he will have made at least a couple of more starts to help the Reds make a decision.