Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

BYU tells Jimmer he's too big of a distraction, not to come back to campus.

Featured Replies

:lol: I actually have always thought of BYU as one of the most likable ones in all sports. I've always admired what they're able to put out there athletically, considering their policies. Always admired them.
:thumb:
  • Replies 34
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol: I actually have always thought of BYU as one of the most likable ones in all sports. I've always admired what they're able to put out there athletically, considering their policies. Always admired them.

 

So have I.

:lol: I actually have always thought of BYU as one of the most likable ones in all sports. I've always admired what they're able to put out there athletically, considering their policies. Always admired them.

 

I never thought much about them until this year. But the school is a sham IMO. They don't seem much about the students to me. With this stuff coming out about not wanting Jimmer at school I think its obvious they just used him and now he's no good to them. He's a distraction, how much money has he made for that school? How about the kid that got suspended? I don't know a whole lot about Mormonism, but shouldn't they want to help that kid?

 

Actually all of these religious universities make me sick because they like to play the religion card but the big ones are all about money anyway IMO. Case in point BYU going independent in football.

 

People hate BYU? That is a new one to me...

 

No one hates BYU. But I now do. I have a theory that more people will in the coming years since their national profile is increasing. And no it has nothing to do with fear of Mormonism or anything like that. But I am sick of any big university acting like they put religion first because I don't believe them. Quite frankly I find it offensive.

"During the tournament, we would have agents surround us before the game and at halftime," said Al Fredette.

 

 

Thought that was an interesting comment.

I never thought much about them until this year. But the school is a sham IMO. They don't seem much about the students to me. With this stuff coming out about not wanting Jimmer at school I think its obvious they just used him and now he's no good to them. He's a distraction, how much money has he made for that school? How about the kid that got suspended? I don't know a whole lot about Mormonism, but shouldn't they want to help that kid?

 

Probably a topic for another thread, but this is about the principles of the Morman religion. I admire a school that doesn't sacrifice their mission for athletic money. It's not all about the money, and it's NEVER about one kid. I admire a school that sticks to their philosophy.

 

As to the other kid. Please. He knew what was expected. He's got to bear the consequences. If he were 13 your "shouldn't they want to help him" argument might fly. But if he had been a regular schmo, the same thing would have happened to him, an no one would have batted an eye.

 

Kudos to BYU for staying true to themselves.

Actually all of these religious universities make me sick because they like to play the religion card but the big ones are all about money anyway IMO. Case in point BYU going independent in football.

 

No one hates BYU. But I now do. I have a theory that more people will in the coming years since their national profile is increasing. And no it has nothing to do with fear of Mormonism or anything like that. But I am sick of any big university acting like they put religion first because I don't believe them. Quite frankly I find it offensive.

 

 

Now, that right there is absurd. :lol:

"I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal."

Probably a topic for another thread, but this is about the principles of the Morman religion. I admire a school that doesn't sacrifice their mission for athletic money. It's not all about the money, and it's NEVER about one kid. I admire a school that sticks to their philosophy.

 

As to the other kid. Please. He knew what was expected. He's got to bear the consequences. If he were 13 your "shouldn't they want to help him" argument might fly. But if he had been a regular schmo, the same thing would have happened to him, an no one would have batted an eye.

 

Kudos to BYU for staying true to themselves.

 

 

 

Now, that right there is absurd. :lol:

 

 

Whatever Rockmom. If you think BYU sticks to their principles fine, I don't. But it's not about the money? How do you explain independence in football? There is no justification for that other than the money!!!! That move is all about the money. Justify that one please. I'll wait for the politically correct answer.

 

And about the kid who got suspended, there have been plenty of BYU grads (most notably one of the Deadspin columnist) who said that it would never and had NEVER happened to Joe Schmos in recent years. I saw a few of them say this and the RB last year were the first two they heard about getting in trouble. It's all a farce IMO.

Whatever Rockmom. If you think BYU sticks to their principles fine, I don't. But it's not about the money? How do you explain independence in football? There is no justification for that other than the money!!!! That move is all about the money. Justify that one please. I'll wait for the politically correct answer.

 

And about the kid who got suspended, there have been plenty of BYU grads (most notably one of the Deadspin columnist) who said that it would never and had NEVER happened to Joe Schmos in recent years. I saw a few of them say this and the RB last year were the first two they heard about getting in trouble. It's all a farce IMO.

 

Wasn't Julie from the Real World thrown out of BYU for living with members of the opposite sex without being married? This isn't new. I don't think you have to support a religious institution, but go there, and you know what you're getting into.

 

I think your arguments are at odds with themselves. You're implying they used Jimmer up and then threw him away after they'd gotten the national exposure and money, but on the other hand are saying that the player thrown off was basically a farce and some new thing. Weren't they also throwing away greater exposure and money when they did that? It was crippling to the team's chances. It definitely cost them that Florida game, and who knows what could've happened against Butler.

 

I can also tell you they're not done with Jimmer anyway. High profile athletes and personalities are a boon for the religion. Players like Steve Young and Shawn Bradley have been extensively utilized by the Mormon religion to increase their profile. Jimmer may yet play in the NBA and continue to be that for them.

Wasn't Julie from the Real World thrown out of BYU for living with members of the opposite sex without being married? This isn't new. I don't think you have to support a religious institution, but go there, and you know what you're getting into.

 

I think your arguments are at odds with themselves. You're implying they used Jimmer up and then threw him away after they'd gotten the national exposure and money, but on the other hand are saying that the player thrown off was basically a farce and some new thing. Weren't they also throwing away greater exposure and money when they did that? It was crippling to the team's chances. It definitely cost them that Florida game, and who knows what could've happened against Butler.

 

She may have been, I can only go off of the reports I've read. Not a big Real World or MTV fan to be honest, so we'll just say you're right.

 

And they're not at odds IMO. They got even more exposure for kicking that guy off the team. Now people (take a look up this board) say that BYU stands by their principles. Sure they do, money is the real religion that university has chosen. And I don't see their reason for not wanting Jimmer there right now. He's maybe their biggest star ever (on campus). I just do not get the justification if not for the trying to preserve an image.

 

And if he is in trouble it's funny to me that it's only news now that the season is over. They didn't need the other kid for exposure, Jimmer got them on TV and increased their brand by themselves. JMO.

They may not have needed the other one for exposure, but they needed him to win, and the further you go in the tournament, the greater the exposure, the greater the money. It's also not as if they have never been at the forefront either. The football team especially has been a major player for years, and they are still the last non-power conference team to win a national championship in football.

 

You can't seriously believe he's the biggest star they've ever had? Even on campus, I can't imagine that Jimmer is bigger than the likes of Steve Young and Jim McMahon.

They may not have needed the other one for exposure, but they needed him to win, and the further you go in the tournament, the greater the exposure, the greater the money. It's also not as if they have never been at the forefront either. The football team especially has been a major player for years, and they are still the last non-power conference team to win a national championship in football.

 

You can't seriously believe he's the biggest star they've ever had? Even on campus, I can't imagine that Jimmer is bigger than the likes of Steve Young and Jim McMahon.

 

Unquestionably I think he's the biggest star I think they've had on campus. Has more to do with the modern media IMO though. I'm just talking about while they were in college.

Unquestionably I think he's the biggest star I think they've had on campus. Has more to do with the modern media IMO though. I'm just talking about while they were in college.

 

Media-wise, I agree, but again, you're talking about a school that has had a Heisman Trophy winner, all-americans, a national championship, etc. McMahon and Young are both in the College Football Hall of Fame. I'd imagine that McMahon was basically a rockstar when he was there.

 

I'm just saying, don't discount that BYU has been a name in the past, and has names in their past. Jimmer is the biggest basketball name they've ever had (Shawn Bradley probably being the only other alum I can name off the top of my head) for sure. I'm sticking with saying that they're all about the money and exposure while throwing away a potential Final Four to look good to the nation is at odds with each other. For one, I'm not even certain it did make them look good to anyone that wasn't really all about that already, given that reactions like yours are not uncommon. A lot of people on here liked them sticking to their principles, abut a lot thought they were way overextending as well. And while Jimmer was gigantic for exposure, a Final Four would have been HUGE for a school that has never gone past the Elite Eight and hadn't even been to the Sweet 16 in 30 years.

Media-wise, I agree, but again, you're talking about a school that has had a Heisman Trophy winner, all-americans, a national championship, etc. McMahon and Young are both in the College Football Hall of Fame. I'd imagine that McMahon was basically a rockstar when he was there.

 

I'm just saying, don't discount that BYU has been a name in the past, and has names in their past. Jimmer is the biggest basketball name they've ever had (Shawn Bradley probably being the only other alum I can name off the top of my head) for sure. I'm sticking with saying that they're all about the money and exposure while throwing away a potential Final Four to look good to the nation is at odds with each other. For one, I'm not even certain it did make them look good to anyone that wasn't really all about that already, given that reactions like yours are not uncommon. A lot of people on here liked them sticking to their principles, abut a lot thought they were way overextending as well. And while Jimmer was gigantic for exposure, a Final Four would have been HUGE for a school that has never gone past the Elite Eight and hadn't even been to the Sweet 16 in 30 years.

 

You're read my posts on here, I'm rarely one to discount history. I don't doubt that McMahon & Young were both megastars there, but I do think things are different today.

 

And I will stick to my opinion that BYU is a phony. JMO :thumb:

Hate might be a strong word, but there is a general suspicion of Mormonism by many Americans, so BYU falls under that umbrella.
I freely admit that I think Mormons are kooky...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.