Conner High School Basketball

I just read in another thread that the Conner JV team will play tonight in the finals of the JV championship tournament. The Conner varsity team began the season as the NKY top team. They have 7 seniors with 4 of them starting or seeing considerable minutes the last three years. My question is, "Why is this team 11 - 15?" They have a good JV team and alot of talent on the varsity level. I have been out to a few games and cannot for the life of me understand what is going on in Hebron. I know several of these boys and am shaking my head at their record and output.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were simply not a top 5 team going into the season. They were put on top of the mountain by other coaches and I believe not justifiably so. Coach Hicks is a good coach and his players are just not meeting the high expectations of others. This team and its players have never played in the regional tournament and therefore, in my mind, shoud not have been the favorite to go to Rupp. I think part of their problem was trying to live up to the hype of a preseason # 1 and it affected their play. I still think they may be able to make some noise in district but they have a tough game coming up in Ryle both from a mental and physical standpoint.

They were simply not a top 5 team going into the season. They were put on top of the mountain by other coaches and I believe not justifiably so. Coach Hicks is a good coach and his players are just not meeting the high expectations of others. This team and its players have never played in the regional tournament and therefore, in my mind, shoud not have been the favorite to go to Rupp. I think part of their problem was trying to live up to the hype of a preseason # 1 and it affected their play. I still think they may be able to make some noise in district but they have a tough game coming up in Ryle both from a mental and physical standpoint.

:thumb: Think some of the talent was overrated/overhyped and with the added expectations of the preseason ranking it was not a recipe for success.

At the end of the day you are still talking about a group that has not been out of the districts and to suddenly make them preseason regional favorites?

Conner has been in a lot of game this season but just has not been able to close the deal. Just don't see that player who is capable of taking over a game in those tight spots.

You won't get an arguement one out of me about the top ranking, but a losing record for the season. It is my opinion which actually doesn't mean much, but I think this team should have done better this year. How many schools out there utilize their JV? Conner has a great JV team and we see these guys for brief glimpses. Every game I have been to this year, Flesch has played the entire game. Is that counterproductive? Is he really the only player on that team that can bring the ball down the floor? How does a player like Hodges who is listed at 6'8" only get 1 point against Holy Cross who's tallest player is 6'4"? Why can't this team break a press? Player strengths, team fundamentals, and strategy should have been worked out at the latest by the holiday break. This team appears at times like they have never played together and they have 2 more regular season games left.

In speaking to some around the Conner basketball program this is just not a very good shooting team. They don't seem to have many players that feel comfortable in taking the big shot. That said there is also the possibility that the coaching staff has given up on the season. I hope that is not the case as you only need to win 1 game to reach the regional and anything can happen then. There are a lot of seniors and if they could get excited for 2 weeks they could surprise some teams.

In speaking to some around the Conner basketball program this is just not a very good shooting team. They don't seem to have many players that feel comfortable in taking the big shot. That said there is also the possibility that the coaching staff has given up on the season. .

Why in the world would you say there is the possibility that the staff has given up on the season? Did Coach Hicks tell you that? If not, you have zero clue what you're talking about and are doing exactly what coaches dislike about message boards such as BGP.

In speaking to some around the Conner basketball program this is just not a very good shooting team. They don't seem to have many players that feel comfortable in taking the big shot. That said there is also the possibility that the coaching staff has given up on the season. .

Why in the world would you say there is the possibility that the staff has given up on the season? Did Coach Hicks tell you that? If not, you have zero clue what you're talking about and are doing exactly what coaches dislike about message boards such as BGP.

I really hope no one has given up on the season. I am really close to some of the players and I do not get a feel that they have given up and it would be hard to believe that a coaching staff has. Like you said one win in districts and the door opens. That will be a hard win, but it is possble. Being close to the Conner program I hated the number 1 ranking, but there is absolutely no excuse for the way this season has gone. I can't speak for who plays and how much, but being a fan and watching the games I get a feel for the team. This team has never found their leader. Robinson has been their biggest scorer, but no true leader. I believe it could have easily been Flesch, but he didn't seem to embrace that role. At this point, nothing counts until districts. Work , work, work, and work some more.

Assuming no one has given up on the season and HM is correct in saying work harder. What does this team need to do to get out of districts. I am all for hard work and pushing, but if you are not heading in the correct direction, no matter how hard you work you will never reach your destination.

Assuming no one has given up on the season and HM is correct in saying work harder. What does this team need to do to get out of districts. I am all for hard work and pushing, but if you are not heading in the correct direction, no matter how hard you work you will never reach your destination.

To me it's a simple equation. Good guard play = high chance of winning.

I always laugh when people say play and work harder! What does that really mean? Each player can only give 100%, if they haven't been doing that by now, they probably won't the rest of the year. They might play up to their potential for 1 night, but if they have underachieved for a whole season, they probably will underachieve in the postseason.

There is more than one way to work and play. You can work and play smarter and not harder. That may be Conner's problem. losing the mental game. I am sure there is not one player on that team that comes to the game to lose, but they may not know what it takes to win. I agree with Clyde that good guard play = high chance of winning. Conner starts three guards. (Flesch, Miller, Liechty) They need three guards to come and play. If they do not feel comfortable handling the ball or don't know what to do with it, then put someone in that does or better yet, play to your strengths and put in the bigs. Force teams to deal with your size. IMO this team settles too much on the 3 point shot. I would like to see them get more movement in their offense to open up lanes for penetration and for the big guys to go to work. If they can get one on one matchups with Robinson and Hodges, they can win those.

There is more than one way to work and play. You can work and play smarter and not harder. That may be Conner's problem. losing the mental game. I am sure there is not one player on that team that comes to the game to lose, but they may not know what it takes to win. I agree with Clyde that good guard play = high chance of winning. Conner starts three guards. (Flesch, Miller, Liechty) They need three guards to come and play. If they do not feel comfortable handling the ball or don't know what to do with it, then put someone in that does or better yet, play to your strengths and put in the bigs. Force teams to deal with your size. IMO this team settles too much on the 3 point shot. I would like to see them get more movement in their offense to open up lanes for penetration and for the big guys to go to work. If they can get one on one matchups with Robinson and Hodges, they can win those.

Can someone please share the basketball resumes from these players? I know Flesch has played with the NKY Bulldogs and they played alot of ball in the summer, but what about the other two boys? Just curious?

You need to read a little closer before you blast me for a comment. I said there is the possibility. I didn't say that anyone told me that.

I really hope no one has given up on the season. I am really close to some of the players and I do not get a feel that they have given up and it would be hard to believe that a coaching staff has. Like you said one win in districts and the door opens. That will be a hard win, but it is possble. Being close to the Conner program I hated the number 1 ranking, but there is absolutely no excuse for the way this season has gone. I can't speak for who plays and how much, but being a fan and watching the games I get a feel for the team. This team has never found their leader. Robinson has been their biggest scorer, but no true leader. I believe it could have easily been Flesch, but he didn't seem to embrace that role. At this point, nothing counts until districts. Work , work, work, and work some more.

I hope you are right. This team has too much talent and senior leadership to not be a threat come tournament time.