Grant County 77 Walton 72

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to see the braves hardwork pay off tonight, a lot of minutes to go around tonight, a lot of contributers. Kinmon shot the ball well and finally in the 8th region officials put the braves on the line and they shot very well. The game was physical from start to finish and a lot of credit to the Walton Verona team for a good game. This will be a great 1st round matchup come district play. Once again congrats to coach Hicks and the braves, streaks have to start somewhere, ride this momentum for the rest of the seasonl.

Walton has not been playing very well the past few games. They seem to have peaked early in the year and have not recovered from some injuries and other issues. Grant played hard but they are not pretty. I find it hard to watch them play because of the style of defense (if that's what you want to call it) that they play. It's foul, foul and more foul. Sometimes it resembles a cross between rugby and football but they are only doing what they are taught. It should be a good 1st round district game.

Walton has not been playing very well the past few games. They seem to have peaked early in the year and have not recovered from some injuries and other issues. Grant played hard but they are not pretty. I find it hard to watch them play because of the style of defense (if that's what you want to call it) that they play. It's foul, foul and more foul. Sometimes it resembles a cross between rugby and football but they are only doing what they are taught. It should be a good 1st round district game.

I agree but tonights game they were not hacking. They do play physical and will have a lot of fouls called on them every game but tonight was not the case. The officials bailed out #22 for Walton multiple times IMO. The biggest difference tonight was ball movement. Past games their dribble drive offense looked like a weave around the perimeter due to bad spacing and poor angles to the basket. Tonight they pushed the ball into transition more and attacked the basket and created shots for each other.

I'm pretty sure they are one of the top defensive teams in the region right now point wise. Maybe Hicks knows what he is doing? They don't have extreme talent so playing extreme hard defense doesn't always look pretty. The kids play hard on the defensive end and they have improved dramatically on that subject since last year. Congrats to the Braves and coach Hicks.

I thought they played well last night. I just thought that the Braves played better. I thought it was an enertaining game where both teams played hard and it was close throughout. Congrats to Coach Hicks and the Braves.

I agree but tonights game they were not hacking. They do play physical and will have a lot of fouls called on them every game but tonight was not the case. The officials bailed out #22 for Walton multiple times IMO. The biggest difference tonight was ball movement. Past games their dribble drive offense looked like a weave around the perimeter due to bad spacing and poor angles to the basket. Tonight they pushed the ball into transition more and attacked the basket and created shots for each other.

Appears that Coach Hicks has made a few adjustments in both his line-up and offense. Good win for the BRAVES...will be an interesting district game!

2/1/2011 Grant Co. 77 Walton-Verona 72 Walton-Verona 13 18 17 24 72

Grant Co. 9 24 19 25 77

Walton-Verona (11-8) -- Smith 2, Moeves 19, Hargett 22, McNeil 22, Lynn 3, Brockman 4.

Grant Co. (8-14) -- Hurley 5, Shipp 1, Anglin 4, Thomas 4, Carr 11, Kinmon 25, Robbins 4, Blackburn 11, Hunt 11, Davis 1.

I'm pretty sure they are one of the top defensive teams in the region right now point wise. Maybe Hicks knows what he is doing? They don't have extreme talent so playing extreme hard defense doesn't always look pretty. The kids play hard on the defensive end and they have improved dramatically on that subject since last year. Congrats to the Braves and coach Hicks.

Actually, Grant Co. is next to last in the region on points allowed and points per game. Only Shelby County is behind them. I don't think their "hack-em as soon as they get the ball defense" has been very effective. You are correct, they are not blessed with alot of extreme talent so they are being taught to foul the other team and take our chances on the foul line. Just because they are putting alot of effort into fouling doesn't mean they are playing hard/smart defense.

They scored 77 points on WV who was only allowing 49.7 points per game and Grant is 5th in the region for points not next to last. They are allowing 60.7 points per game and averaging 59.7 a game. Pretty even for a team that does not start a kid over 6 foot tall. I agree they are taught to play aggressive but their style of play fits the bill of a small team. The braves did a good job last night in transition and really frustrated Walton. Looking at your post madman, you watch a lot of practices, what advice would you give to change the hard workign effort these boys put in each day. They are allowed to play physical in practice but are taught to play tough solid defense. They have competed well in a lot of games and are getting better, the reality is there is not a lot of size and talent at Grant and they do the best they can. If they continue to work this team will be good in a year or two, they have one senior and some athletes in the younger grades. You will see these close losses from this year turn into wins. Rome was not built in a day and this team won 10 games last year, 19 the year before with a very talented bunch. The box score had 10 kids scoring, and well distributed, you can put any 10 on the floor and the results will be the same, that is just the way it is.

I agree madman the game last night was hard to watch, too many fouls and too much whinning about fouls being called. Playing hard is not always playing smart.

Are you talking about both teams playing this way or being specific about one team? With the score being in the 70's, it had to been somewhat exciting, especially for GC since they did win this one!

They scored 77 points on WV who was only allowing 49.7 points per game and Grant is 5th in the region for points not next to last. They are allowing 60.7 points per game and averaging 59.7 a game. Pretty even for a team that does not start a kid over 6 foot tall. I agree they are taught to play aggressive but their style of play fits the bill of a small team. The braves did a good job last night in transition and really frustrated Walton. Looking at your post madman, you watch a lot of practices, what advice would you give to change the hard workign effort these boys put in each day. They are allowed to play physical in practice but are taught to play tough solid defense. They have competed well in a lot of games and are getting better, the reality is there is not a lot of size and talent at Grant and they do the best they can. If they continue to work this team will be good in a year or two, they have one senior and some athletes in the younger grades. You will see these close losses from this year turn into wins. Rome was not built in a day and this team won 10 games last year, 19 the year before with a very talented bunch. The box score had 10 kids scoring, and well distributed, you can put any 10 on the floor and the results will be the same, that is just the way it is.

I think you misunderstood my previous post. I was specifically talking about defense when I said points allowed and points per game (not talking about offense). I stand corrected, they are not next to last in points per game allowed, they are next to next to last. Only Shelby Co. (allowing 70 points per game) and Williamstown (allowing 67 points per game) are worse than Grant. I know they are small and have to be aggressive but it's not good fundamental defense. Coach Hicks plays 10-12 players a game and has made it no secret that each player has five fouls and they will use them. Their games are hard to watch because it is a foul-fest. That's not good defense, it's just hoping that the other team will miss enough free throws to keep them in the game. I hope that they will fine tune their defense and learn how to play deny defense without having to rely on fouling. I wish them the best.