Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Hand Checking

Featured Replies

I've heard the official call "two hands" as well.

 

Probably because the NCAA put this in a few years ago as an absolute foul. If they work NCAA it is probably why you saw it.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne County has to be the best in the State at this, they use both hands all the time, have for years. Rodney has taught them well. Officials get tirde calling it, even if they start, when you play Wayne better learn to play with 2 hands on you at all time.

Probably because the NCAA put this in a few years ago as an absolute foul. If they work NCAA it is probably why you saw it.

 

I guarantee you that this clown working this game DOESN'T work NCAA games.

You might be surprised to learn of the number of high school referees that actually DO work some level of NCAA, NAIA, or IBB basketball. I know I was when I got to know a few of these guys recently.

From an elevated vantage point in the stands, you can see things much clearly than an official on the floor that is a few feet away... not to mention getting straight lined by players that are moving in / out of your vision. It is not as easy as some make it appear to be. Even the best officials will miss / pass this call occasionally.

Handchecking and overall physical play has taken a lot of the athleticism out of basketball. It definitely hurts a player who has an advantage in speed and overall quickness if a defender is allowed to utilize this tactic. When allowed, a team that is physically stroger can defeat a team that may be much more athletic by a score of........38-33....fun to watch.

I hate seeing guys hand check but I tell my son to swat down on those wrist before or during his ball move. Most kids will stop if yo crack those wrists a few times. Any kid who wants to play beyon HS better get used to the physical play and just be the stronger more aggressive player. If they are going to let it go you have to adjust.

I personally hate the way the game is called an played now a days. Very few teams are skilled in basketball. Most teams are now either strong or athletic! You have some teams that just muscle you everywhere and keep the score low that way or you have teams that just play extremely fast and get the ball on the backboard and go get it until they make it. When was the last time you saw a good fundamental team make a run deep into the State Tournament. It doesn't happen anymore! Game is to physical to allow a team to run their offense, set picks and set up SHOOTERS! Try to set a screen in todays game and you just get run over and it is either a no call or an illegal screen.

Problem is, when does hand-checking become a foul. I saw jerseys held in the past tournament at Scott County.

I have always looked at it from my coaching point of view as is it effecting the play? Is the player using their hands holding or are they trying to keep their balance. Refs always tell me it is about advantage/disadvantage. I see players off the ball hand checking/holding all the time. When the offense makes a cut to get the ball and then the defense grabs/handchecks, i know it is called here in the 11th. I always tell my players this and try to get them to use this to their advantage. Its easy when you can see it game after game on tape. I tell them to know when the player they are guarding makes a cut to try and get the ball to let go and keep your hands off. Its been pretty consistantly called give or take a few refs.

The only thing called more inconsistently than hand-checking is carrying/palming the ball.

 

And the 3 second rule.

And the 3 second rule.

 

I have come to the conclusion, after reading all of these posts, several things:

 

1. If every call was made the way it was written in the rule book games would last forever. I think of holdng in football and how much it happens and is not called. You could just about call it on 50% of the plays. The same goes for the games i coach in basketball. You could pick 1 violation/ foul and if you truly called it everytime they would last forever.

 

2. If all the calls went the way "your" or "my" team wanted them to go, "we" would never lose a game.

 

3. Coaching is a tough business, refing games is even tougher. I get to see my team grow, improve, mature and have success. All i have to put up with is an occasional parent. Refing you go from one gym to another and not matter how good/bad you are, there is ALWAYS some fan in the gym who came to complain/verbally abuse you.

 

4. As a coach i hate it when whistles are blowing all over the floor. As a fan i hate it too. Quote from at least 4 of my games from fans this year, "LET THEM PLAY REF!" I agreed but the calls were good ones.

 

5. Someone is going to quote my post and shoot it down :)

Bio, I'm not going to shoot you down, but I take it from your stance that you sit on the bench, coach your team, and NEVER question or say anything to an official during the game. I would have a tremendous amount respect for you if you can honestly say that you let the officials officiate without berating them. And by the way, what's the problem if a game lasts forever. If it's supposed to be for the kids then why are the adults worried about how long a game lasts?

Questioning and berating are two different things. I definetely question rules but at the same time i pride myself on knowing them. I was at the coaching clinic this year and it always surpises me the questions asked during the KSHAA rules section. A great mentor of mine once told me thats it was impossible to coach a sport (or question the officials) if you did not truly understand the rules yourself. I like to use them to my advantage when possible. There are many close game, 4th quarter situations where you can do just that. Thanks for the reply to my post.

Most players can adjust to game play if the referees are consistent with their calls, inclusive of handchecking. Whether there will be a tight whistle or "let them play" status should be determined in the first few minutes of a game. Getting ran over on a moving screen on one end and a touch foul on the other frustrates players, coaches and fans. The game has changed and most have adjusted. Strength is valued just as much as any skill set. However, the vast majority of players making it to the next level (college, pro) have skills and strenth. Basically, they can score the ball in addition to being a physcial presence. If that is not the case (strength with no skill set), the game can be brutal to watch at any level.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.