Owensboro Catholic 28 Fort Campbell 25

Figs

Johnson had 90+ yards rushing and 4 catches for 78 yards.

Atcher got the bulk of the carries; I think he went for over 100.

Even though I didn't mention his name a lot in the updates, the OCath announcers did. He did play an integral part in the ballgame.

Atcher led the Falcons with 179 yards on 26 carries as Fort Campbell accumulated 423 total yards, including 319 on the ground.

Johnson, had 103 yards rushing on 15 attempts

Owensboro Catholic, had 393 total yards. Houston Kamuf led the Aces' ground attack with 82 yards.

Woodward, completed 24-of-39 passes for 283 yards

Holland, 57-yard punt return

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was shocking to me. I haven't heard much about O-cath this year, because it's been all about Fort Campbell. Every post regarding 2A has had one common theme "It's Fort Campbell's year..Fort Campbell will be 2A champs...Fort Campbell has 3 D-1 players". I guess this goes to prove that it doesn't matter what it looks like on paper..the game is decided on the field.

Congrats to O-cath.

Ft. Campbell had 3 high school all Americans.
Nothing like a little hyperbole. This Fort Campbell team seems to get better with every post.

Every knowledgable fan in western Kentucky knew this would be a competitive game. As bugatti said, it's a mild upset but no shocker.

Coach Edge put it all on the line with that 4th and two call on their own 12. We were sitting in the stands saying there is no way he does this, and they pulled it off. What I was most surprised with was Catholic's ability to run the ball against this falcon defense. They had so much trouble against Trigg but they were very successful this game and that opened up so much stuff.

One play that I will always remember was that block that Taliferro(sp?) had on the punt return for a TD. He absolutely destroyed that kid and sprung Holland for the TD, also helped by another big block from Kamuf at the 10 yd line.

The biggest key to this game in the end seemed to be Catholic's depth, again.

And much of that from the Owensboro Catholic camp ...

I just say it like it is. FC had all kinds of weapons. The hype came from every newspaper article that previewed 2A. They had it all except a QB who could throw it with any consistency. They also were poorly conditioned. Their skill players were as good as advertised, but they took a physical beating last night, and in the 4th qurt. it cost them the game. I still say that they have way more individual talent than we do, but as far as game planning and executing that game plan our coaching staff can flat put it together and they put our kids in the best possible positions to execute it.

Great game! Their were no losers in this one, the clock just ran out. Both teams took each others best shots on each side of the ball. The most glaring thing to me was the way Catholic took advantage with their fast paced offense of the number of Fort Campbell players that had to play both ways. Its a shame that blowing everybody out(except Trigg Co.) seemed to have come back to bite'em in the butt. They by no means quit, but were totally spent by the 4th qtr. Another thing, Micah Johnson is the real deal!!! On offense he had 14 carries for 95 yards, caught 4 passes for 78 yards scored once and opened a number of holes blocking for Atcher who had 193 yards on 28 carries. On the other side of the ball the Falcons must have had 2 or 3 #40's he was around the ball all night. Congrats to Catholic on their 3rd straight regional title and Fort Campbell on a great game and season!

Coach Edge put it all on the line with that 4th and two call on their own 12. We were sitting in the stands saying there is no way he does this, and they pulled it off. What I was most surprised with was Catholic's ability to run the ball against this falcon defense. They had so much trouble against Trigg but they were very successful this game and that opened up so much stuff.

One play that I will always remember was that block that Taliferro(sp?) had on the punt return for a TD. He absolutely destroyed that kid and sprung Holland for the TD, also helped by another big block from Kamuf at the 10 yd line.

The biggest key to this game in the end seemed to be Catholic's depth, again.

That was the gutsiest call I have seen in a long time, considering it was 2nd qtr and only down by 5. This was an amazing game all the way around. If you would have told me the night before the game we would have 5 turnovers and still pull this thing out, I would have laughed in your face. The Catholic kids are truly amazing. Coaches also did excellent game planning for this. :thumb:

Only complaint, Catholic fans did a great job making noise but lets make the noise when we are on D and not O. Fans got way too loud late in the game when we are on O. If I remember right we jumped offsides when this was going on.

I'm not sure conditioning was as big a factor as depth...Ft Campbell has some great players, but, most of them go both ways..OC definately plays more people...

I've got a question though...Had they not made the 1st down and gave it back to Ft Campbell inside there own 20,and they lose, would everyone still be saying "Gutsiest Call","Layed it all on the line", "Great Coaching job", etc., or would they be asking for his head today and saying that was the stupidest call i've ever seen and that cost us the game? Granted, it worked, but, to me, it's insane to do something like that....

I'm not sure conditioning was as big a factor as depth...Ft Campbell has some great players, but, most of them go both ways..OC definately plays more people...

I've got a question though...Had they not made the 1st down and gave it back to Ft Campbell inside there own 20,and they lose, would everyone still be saying "Gutsiest Call","Layed it all on the line", "Great Coaching job", etc., or would they be asking for his head today and saying that was the stupidest call i've ever seen and that cost us the game? Granted, it worked, but, to me, it's insane to do something like that....

In football the only difference between gutsy and stupid is success rate.

Wildcat, I really think there was a big miscomunication, I'm not sure ,and no one would admint it now!!!!!!!!

I actually wondered the same thing but not sure. Woody was first trying to draw them off and that didn't work. He then looked back at Edge and he signaled in the play. Woody was probably shocked he called it in. There is no doubt in my mind without that drive and score we would have lost. But its not a call I would have made being down 5 in the 2nd. But now Im glad they did! :thumb: