Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic 61 Highlands 48

Featured Replies

Birds started Crowley 6'3, New 5'10, Lewis 6'0, Egan 6'2 and Dean 5'8. CCH started Thelen 6'6, Baker 6'7, Connely 6'5, Maschinot 5'11 and Reidinger 6'2. Birds came out firing and passed the ball very well. They led 13-12 after the first qtr and hit a quick shot to go up 3. Then CCH made there run outscoring the Birds 17-6 in the qtr to take a 29-19 lead at the half. I thought the Birds played well at times in the 2nd half riding Crowleys hot hand. They cut it to 3 early in the 4th and missed a few Ft's as well. Alex Dean played well attacking from the PG position. The Birds lost control many times though playing helter skelter and could not stop Thelen. I think if Stewart plays and Crowley is hot like that the Birds win but we may never know. Towles battled the offensive glass but he wasnt expected to even play after being hooked up to an IV on Sunday due to a swollen throat. He just didnt have the energy to contest Thelen. For a while though in the 2nd half he did a nice job of pushing Jake out of the lane but Thelen is a load. Reidinger played well also nailing a couple big 3's and some late FT's. Outside of those two I was not overly impressed with the Colonels.

 

Great effort by the wounded Birds and huge crowd in the sweatbox.

Spoken like only a true Bluebird fan about a CovCath team. Machinot is 5'7" and Riedenger is 6'-0". Towles may not have started but he played half the game on Thelen. The Colonels stopped Thelen by not getting him a touch every trip down. Highlands did not stop Thelen. Baker made every shot he took and Connelly was 5 for 7 inside the arch for 10 points. Thelen goes 12 for 20 and you're not impressed. Funny.
  • Replies 73
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not in football...lol
Well, it was rare to score more than 48 this year. LOL
Spoken like only a true Bluebird fan about a CovCath team. Machinot is 5'7" and Riedenger is 6'-0". Towles may not have started but he played half the game on Thelen. The Colonels stopped Thelen by not getting him a touch every trip down. Highlands did not stop Thelen. Baker made every shot he took and Connelly was 5 for 7 inside the arch for 10 points. Thelen goes 12 for 20 and you're not impressed. Funny.

 

Easy partner I was very impressed with Thelen but just thought the rest of the team was mediocre tonight. Im not saying they arent nice players as each had there moments but when you dont pound it to Thelen there really isnt a go to type player. I thought with size mismatches they should have gone to Baker more on the block. Connelly at 6'5 had 6'

Same Lewis guarding hime which they could have exploited. If the Colonels want to win the Region they need to have another legit scorer and I just didn't see any out there tonight. There is no reason re 6'7 Baker opposite Thelen shouldn't be feasting.

A game well worth the 5 bucks. Even though the Colonels never gave back the lead to the Birds once they owned it, no lead until the final couple of minutes ever felt completely secure. I really have to hand it to the Birds for digging deep as they kept finding ways to hang around. Congratulations to the Colonels for getting the 'W' and for Thelen to continue his greatness with 25 points, but I have to say that the highlight of the game tonight was watching the Bluebirds play their guts out and leaving their hearts on the floor in an undying attempt to pull the upset. They came to play and put on a quite an emotional show. Another highlight I won't soon forget was Baker's thunderous block in the first half that allowed the Colonels to regain possession and made an explosive sound when he slammed it that was louder than the entire 2 fan sections put together.

A game well worth the 5 bucks. Even though the Colonels never gave back the lead to the Birds once they owned it, no lead until the final couple of minutes ever felt completely secure. I really have to hand it to the Birds for digging deep as they kept finding ways to hang around. Congratulations to the Colonels for getting the 'W' and for Thelen to continue his greatness with 25 points, but I have to say that the highlight of the game tonight was watching the Bluebirds play their guts out and leaving their hearts on the floor in an undying attempt to pull the upset. They came to play and put on a quite an emotional show. Another highlight I won't soon forget was Baker's thunderous block in the first half that allowed the Colonels to regain possession and made an explosive sound when he slammed it that was louder than the entire 2 fan sections put together.

 

Yes he smacked that ball like a ..... well I won't say lol. He also was a factor defending the perimeter. Another block that was equally impressive was Carter New sprinting down court and erasing Schulte'so easy duece.

Good to see the Colonels pull out a win on a nite hey did not bring thier A game. I do no know what thier shooting percentage was or the number of assists they had, but they both seemed like they may be one of the lowest of the season, but if I am not mistaken, the bench had 0 points, which is I think the frst time all season. IMO that demonstrates the quality of this team that they were able to pull out the win against their bitter rivals. Another good game to learn from boys. Good job!

I think that this game made everyone in attendance aware that this Bluebirds team is no slouch. If they can all get healthy and get Stewart back in the lineup, I can see them moving up into a Top 5 spot in the 9th by the end of the regular season. Even with this loss, I'd have to say that this game will prove to be a turning point in the Bird's confidence level considering their shaky start this season.

I was also very impressed the Birds stayed man-man the entire game with the size disadvantage, it showed alot of heart.

 

Just curious radio guy do you all archive your webcasts?

Well, it was rare to score more than 48 this year. LOL

 

Yeah....they scored "50" in the state title game..

I was also very impressed the Birds stayed man-man the entire game with the size disadvantage, it showed alot of heart.

 

Just curious radio guy do you all archive your webcasts?

 

Probably not my place to answer for 'Radio Guy', but you can go back and listen to the last 7 seasons. Counting Basketball, Football, Baseball etc... they are now up to 337 broadcasts available for your listening enjoyment. I relived this game as soon as I got home last night from Ft. Thomas.

You can find the whole list at the http://covcath.org website.

I enjoyed watching this game.....very entertaining! Thought HHS showed a lot of heart to keep this one close (49-47 with 3:25 left) although I never felt that CCH was really in trouble of losing this game. Reason, Jake Thelan......he was a mismatch with Towles ineffective and Stewart out. Jake is a very solid, composed player and was the difference. I agree with the post that CCH needs to have an outside option to be a legit contender. Reidinger perhaps....Maschinot showed some hustle but doesn't have the shot they need.

 

On the Bluebirds side, obviously a healthy Stewart (&Towles) changes this team (Stewart, Grote, McGraw...the unfortunate setbacks to this program, never take it for granted kids!). Conor Crowley played an inspired game, clearly "getting" what a rivalry game is ! Nice hustle by HHS but they clearly lacked scoring threats aside from Crowley.

 

Overall, CCH is a region contender but tonite is indicative of the parity of the region this year. I believe HHS is a 7-10 ranked team and could clearly upset a CCH team with a healthy Stewart and inspired nite of play.....good luck to both teams, should be an exciting post -season this year !

I enjoyed watching this game.....very entertaining! Thought HHS showed a lot of heart to keep this one close (49-47 with 3:25 left) although I never felt that CCH was really in trouble of losing this game. Reason, Jake Thelan......he was a mismatch with Towles ineffective and Stewart out. Jake is a very solid, composed player and was the difference. I agree with the post that CCH needs to have an outside option to be a legit contender. Reidinger perhaps....Maschinot showed some hustle but doesn't have the shot they need. !

 

Don't underestimate the impact Maschinot has had on this team this year. His play at PG has been better than anyone anticipated and his shot has seemingly come out of nowhere. My guess is he's close to 45% to 50% from 3 this year. He was 1 for 2 last night.

 

Their best pure shooter IMO is Fredrick who doesn't play.

Thelen finished with 25 and 8 on 12-25 shooting.

 

According to the enquirer, it was 47-45 with 4:17 to play.

 

Covington Catholic (10-2) - Maschinot 3 0 7, Connelly 5 0 10, Riedinger 2 4 11, Thelen 12 1 25, Baker 3 2 8. Totals 26 7 61.

 

Highlands (5-7) - Dean 5 1 11, Crowley 8 1 23, Egan 1 0 2, Lewis 2 0 4, Towles 3 2 8. Totals 19 4 48.

 

 

CovCath 12 17 15 17 -61

Highlands 13 6 15 14 -48

 

3-pointers: CC 2 (Maschinot, Riedinger); H 6 (Crowley 6).

 

Crowley with 6 treys...wow!!

Egan has to score more for the Birds. Scoring 2pts isn't going to cut it..

Don't believe everything you read in the Enquirer.....I was there! lol Ryan Egan is a very good shooter and a great kid, I agree that he needs to be a better offensive threat. I watched him last nite and he never seemed to be in the flow of the game....but, he is a spot -up shooter and New, Dean, & Lewis were simply running transition & slashing to the basket, a style contrary to where Egan fits best. I predict he will still have some big scoring nites....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.