Discussion on the just completed Lloyd Invitational tournament.

Which teams surprised you good and bad? Which players impressed you and which disappointed you? I know CovCath and Dixie did not compete in this tournament this week but is it just me or do you any of the rest of you see the 9th region as being pretty much wide open after seeing a lot of the teams compete against each other? I for one was very impressed with the way the Cooper boys competed. Even though they were clearly outmanned in some of their contests they played hard and really got after it on defense. Not once did you see them in a zone defense outside of inbounds plays. Comments?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cooper actually played a lot of zone today against Boone Co. McQueary and Downs shot them out of it though.

Not sure if you were at the game tonight or not but I can tell you that Cooper did not play one single possession of zone. In fact, Cooper did not play one possession of zone all week in any of their games. Whether in half court or out of bounds underneath Cooper was guarding man.

I was very impressed with Cooper and thought that they were the most underated team in this tournament. I really enjoyed watching them and actually thought that this is what Ky. Basketball is all about. I would pay more money just to watch them play again and cannot wait to see them play again. As far as Players I was so impressed with Logan Dunbar of Spencer County as far as players. To see him pass and his desire really impressed me. As I have said Spencer County short comings I think are guard play and turnovers. I think really watching all the teams I will have to say that Boone County was the team that I would have said would have won the tournament but they just fell short but hats of to this tournament was very happy with it.

I was very impressed with Cooper and thought that they were the most underated team in this tournament. I really enjoyed watching them and actually thought that this is what Ky. Basketball is all about. I would pay more money just to watch them play again and cannot wait to see them play again. As far as Players I was so impressed with Logan Dunbar of Spencer County as far as players. To see him pass and his desire really impressed me. As I have said Spencer County short comings I think are guard play and turnovers. I think really watching all the teams I will have to say that Boone County was the team that I would have said would have won the tournament but they just fell short but hats of to this tournament was very happy with it.

I too was impressed with Dunbar and his interior passing.

Not sure if you were at the game tonight or not but I can tell you that Cooper did not play one single possession of zone. In fact, Cooper did not play one possession of zone all week in any of their games. Whether in half court or out of bounds underneath Cooper was guarding man.

Sorry but I believe you are wrong about this. Coach Sullivan doesn't like to play zone, ever.

I could've swore Cooper and Boone both came out in a little bit of a match-up zone. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

Here's a list of the players who made the all-tournament team:

Chris Hayes- Holmes

Dontel Rice- Holmes

Donnie Cheatum- Lloyd

Jon Danks- Lloyd

Trevan Brown- Boone Co

D'Vontae Bradley- Cooper

Antone Warren- Fern Creek

Michael Parrish- Fern Creek

Jamie Carr- Fern Creek

Brady Hightchew- Newcath

Michael Beuter- Newcath

Zach Ryan- Newcath

Jake Geisler- Newcath (Also named MVP)

Kudos to Jake Geisler for not only receiving the MVP award, but also the Sportsmanship Award as well.

They went 3-1 only losing to the tourney champion!! Should have had one for sure if not two on the all tourney team.....that is nothing but wrong!!

Well, I kinda see your point, as they were playing for 5th place, and the Consolation championship game had one from the winning and losing teams.