Covington Catholic 71 Mercer County 69

One of the best stretches in CovCath history and he's done it against, and I'm guessing here, a top 10 strength of schedule in the state.

I totally agree with the year Jake is having getting the points, but IMO what is even nicer to see is the Assists, not only his but that the whole team is getting. I am sure I am not right on this, but seems to me that all the guys have more assists this year than all of last year, and Jake has an awful lot of assists for a big man. That just shows to me how unselfish this whole team is this year.

Schult must be back to near 100 percent, I thought he would have a hard time working back into this dynamic line up. Great to see him already contributing.

Andrew should get to share the MVP title with Jake. (Taking NOTHING away from Mr. Thelen, he had a great tourney). Mr. Schult was a huge factor in the last two games. Against HC he came of the bench to get 10 points. Against Mercer he spelled Connelly and Baker when they were in foul trouble. He also applied tremendous pressure to Cinnamon at the end of the game to keep him from scoring.

I agree with kinglouie that the assists Jake and the other Colonels are getting are impressive. Jake had some spectacular passes that other players in recent years would have not attempted. The team is better for it.

Indeed one of the Centre coaches was there and did nothing but rave about the quality of the CovCath Basketball players who have gone through Centre College both in the Classroom and on the Hardwood. The Coach told me that he would love to have a dozen Danny Noll and Matt Nestheide!

The Cov. Cath. to Centre C. pipeline has been active for many years. Back in the day, student athletes such as Bobby Brandner and Tim Elliott made the trek. Have to throw a present day honorable mention to Will Geisen as well, who is excelling on the football field and in the classroom. Colonel to Colonel. No better way to fly. C6 - H0. :thumb:

Andrew should get to share the MVP title with Jake. (Taking NOTHING away from Mr. Thelen, he had a great tourney). Mr. Schult was a huge factor in the last two games. Against HC he came of the bench to get 10 points. Against Mercer he spelled Connelly and Baker when they were in foul trouble. He also applied tremendous pressure to Cinnamon at the end of the game to keep him from scoring.

I agree with kinglouie that the assists Jake and the other Colonels are getting are impressive. Jake had some spectacular passes that other players in recent years would have not attempted. The team is better for it.

As should Mr. Maschinot. His handling of the ball, his guiding the team on offense and his playing with all out desire, impressed me a ton. He is what any team needs to have to win and that is a good PG, who the others on the floor trust and believe it.

The player I have enjoyed most watching so far this season is Mr. Connelly! Cubbie has so much fun out on the floor and you can see it working on his teammates keeping them loose. Seeing Cubbie dunking the ball and seeing the joy he gets out of doing it and seeing how his teammates react to it, well Basketball is fun this year at CovCath.

I think what most of us are saying is this team is so close to each other and that they enjoy seeing each other perform well.

You can see it in the eyes of Jake when he makes a great pass and a teammate scores, he seems to get as much joy out of it as if he scored himself. You can see the smile on Mash face when he drives and dishes it to Cubbie and he scores. You can see it on the look of the team when a players tries to shoot over Drew and the ball goes no where near the basket. You can see faces of the team when Brett shoots a trey as they truly believe it's going to be a "string music beauty" of a shot and three added to the scoreboard, or when the super sub Andrew comes in and pumps up the team with his constant energy that flows out of him and onto his teammates.

Every single one of the players on this team be it one of the starters or a sub understands that they need each other to win and if they believe in each other, work with each other, trust in each other and most importantly enjoy each others success, the wins will continue.

With a spirit, that will not die!

Okay. I got you. I do love a great defense. Have to protect the ball in late game situations.

Mercer County has one heck of a shooting team and their only weakness (IMO) is lack of height but they make up for it by blocking out well in the paint.

#11 Cinnamon and #5 Lee are indeed first rate shooters and ball handlers who scored 24 and 21 points. If Mercer had a big man in the middle, WOW!

BTW was told that Cinnamon has already signed with Miami of Ohio for Baseball! Is that correct? If so, what position does he play, Shortstop?

Yes he has and so has Honchel as well both going to Miami of Ohio Cinnamon is a pitcher that has a nasty fastball....I believe Mercer has another player that has signed Div 1 or maybe 2 as well....Im not sure what division LMU is but that have 3 top baseball players that play basketball....

I think Colin Buckner who is #25 on the Mercer basketball team(comes off the bench) is also going to Miami of Ohio with Cinnamon and Honchel as well.

No sir. Colin Buckner has commited to play college baseball at Lincoln Memorial University(D2). Matthew Honchell and Clay Cinnamon from Mercer County has commited to play their college baseball at Miami (Oh).