Covington Catholic 71 Mercer County 69

Jake Thelen another dominant performance with 32 points going 16/22 and 9 boards. Connelly continues to improve and had 14 with 2 threes and Riedinger has found his shot and had 12 with 2 more threes. Machinot did an incredible job running the offense and had only 2 turnovers. Under a minute and Mercer county with the ball, Machinot steals the ball and they get it to Jake Thelen for the go ahead bucket. Schult ices the game with a steal at the end. Look out 9th Region, we're coming home. The Colonels with another game over 50% shooting 59% from the floor.

Outstanding team game by the Colonels. Yes Thelen indeed scored 32 points but without the play of Connelly, Maschinot, Riedinger, Baker, Schultz, Cleves Hayden Hudephol and Massie there wouldn't have been a victory this afternoon.

You might laugh at me for saying this but it was a total team effort that won this game today!

Two super plays of the game: Score tied 69 and Mercer has the ball and Connor Maschinot steals the ball he then makes a nice pass to Thelen for the basket and the lead.

MC with the ball and with seven seconds left in the game MC calls a timeout. On the in bounds play Andrew Schult steals the ball and passes it to Brett Riedinger who is then fouled.

Going 3-1 and playing the quality of teams this week that CovCath did, I can only call this week a huge success and a great learning experience!

CovCath improves their record to 9-2, with their only losses to #1 Rated Louisville Ballard and top five ranked Lexington Catholic.

The Colonels next travel to Ft. Thomas to play Highlands in a triple header starting at 4:30pm.

With the size of the HHS gym I would suggest anyone who wants to attend this game to get there early!

Wow. So Mercer lost because they failed to inbound the ball late in the game. Poor execution...... I hate to see that at the end of a game. If Mercer plans on winning the region they have to execute better in late game situations. Congrats to CovCath.

Edited by PurplePride92

Wow. So Mercer lost because they failed to inbound the ball late in the game. Poor execution...... I hate to see that at the end of a game. If Mercer plans on winning the region they have to execute better in late game situations. Congrats to CovCath.

The ball was in bounded properly but then the player had the ball stolen from him!

Well, I can understand but I was very happy to see it happen! :thumb:

I am very happy to see that the Colonels rebounded from such a poorly played game in which they took a major beating, to play a couple of very solid games. A game such as Ballard could have really hurt a lot of teams, but this group seems to have truly learned from it, and moved on. Way to go guys!

BTW a huge thank you to the CovCath Mom's for giving Theoldguy some snacks to eat during halftime of all the games.:clap::thumb:

They were outstanding and I know that the CovCath managers the Lexington Herald Leader sports writers the other Stat teams and Coaches who were sitting up in the upper deck with us, all enjoyed them and appreciated your kindness in bringing them to the games for us to enjoy.

Thank you again!

CovCath Mom's are indeed the best! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Heard that Centre College talked to Machinot after the game.

Indeed one of the Centre coaches was there and did nothing but rave about the quality of the CovCath Basketball players who have gone through Centre College both in the Classroom and on the Hardwood. The Coach told me that he would love to have a dozen Danny Noll and Matt Nestheide!

If my math is correct Jake has 161 points in his last 7 games.

You got me curious so I did a little research...

Last 6 games:

161 points = 26.83 ppg.

Last 7 games:

175 points = 25 ppg.

Season total from 11 games:

254 points = 23.09 ppg.

Mongomery Co. 20

Lexington Catholic 13

Ryle 25

Cincinnati St. Xavier 21

Conner 14

Louisville St. Xavier 28

Campbell Co. 28

University Heights 29

Ballard 24

Henry Clay 20

Mercer Co. 32

Wow... What a season this guy's having! :thumb:

Did Cov Cath pull any students to the games in Lexington?

To be honest no, then again I don't remember seeing many students from any school even from LexCath watching any of the games! Now in saying that LexCath had some nice crowds watching the games but they were adults and if there were kids there they were grade school type!

You got me curious so I did a little research...

Last 6 games:

161 points = 26.83 ppg.

Last 7 games:

175 points = 25 ppg.

Season total from 11 games:

254 points = 23.09 ppg.

Mongomery Co. 20

Lexington Catholic 13

Ryle 25

Cincinnati St. Xavier 21

Conner 14

Louisville St. Xavier 28

Campbell Co. 28

University Heights 29

Ballard 24

Henry Clay 20

Mercer Co. 32

Wow... What a season this guy's having! :thumb:

He is clearly Mr December and has my vote for POY thus far but we still have plenty of hoops left