Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who do you Tip and how much?

Featured Replies

Now that the holiday season is upon us, who do you tip and how much?

Postman

Paper man

Hairdresser

Garbage men

those in support roles at work

 

Just curious?

  • Replies 45
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my grandfathers was a mail carrier, so at his insistence, everyone in my family ALWAYS gives a Christmas present to their mail carriers. We usually put some kind of goody bag together with candy and cookies. The one my mom assembles always includes a jar of her home-made preserves.

 

I haven't gotten a newspaper for years, and when I did, I don't know that I ever would have thought to give him/her a tip, honestly. They just drove by and chucked it out the window, anyhow.

 

As for hairdressers, I've never been in a barber's chair in my life. When I was a kid, my mom or dad cut my hair, and I've been cutting my own hair since I was a teenager. The 35 bucks I spent on Wahl clippers is probably one of the most sound financial decisions I've ever made in my life. I do know that my mom always put together a Christmas goody bag similar to the one she made for her mail carrier and gave it to her hair dresser though.

 

When it comes to garbage men, again, I'd have to say that it never even occurred to me to give them something around the holidays. I think I'd have to say that until they can go a year without managing to make one of my garbage can lids disappear, or making a regular habit of just chucking the cans back into my yard, they're probably going to go un-rewarded on my behalf.

Postman - they probably make more money then most on this board. If someone makes more money then me I don't tip them.

 

Paperboy - I don't get a paper but if I did probably wouldn't tip.

 

Barber - I usually try to tip a couple of bucks every time

 

Garbage Men - Nope.

 

Support people I work with - Haven't ever thought about it but now that I have...no.

 

I don't tip people for doing their job except when tips are usually a big part of their pay.

Postman - they probably make more money then most on this board. If someone makes more money then me I don't tip them.

 

.

 

How much do you think they make? My brother is one and I can't imagine he's making more than $50k to $60k.

How much do you think they make? My brother is one and I can't imagine he's making more than $50k to $60k.

 

One of my best friends is one and his base is close to $50k and with overtime he makes $70k-$80k. And since our post office is like under staffed like most he gets as much OT as he wants. Alot of times he gets OT he doesn't want.

One of my grandfathers was a mail carrier, so at his insistence, everyone in my family ALWAYS gives a Christmas present to their mail carriers. We usually put some kind of goody bag together with candy and cookies. The one my mom assembles always includes a jar of her home-made preserves.

 

I haven't gotten a newspaper for years, and when I did, I don't know that I ever would have thought to give him/her a tip, honestly. They just drove by and chucked it out the window, anyhow.

 

As for hairdressers, I've never been in a barber's chair in my life. When I was a kid, my mom or dad cut my hair, and I've been cutting my own hair since I was a teenager. The 35 bucks I spent on a Flowbe is probably one of the most sound financial decisions I've ever made in my life. I do know that my mom always put together a Christmas goody bag similar to the one she made for her mail carrier and gave it to her hair dresser though.

 

When it comes to garbage men, again, I'd have to say that it never even occurred to me to give them something around the holidays. I think I'd have to say that until they can go a year without managing to make one of my garbage can lids disappear, or making a regular habit of just chucking the cans back into my yard, they're probably going to go un-rewarded on my behalf.

 

I fixed that for you. :D

Now that the holiday season is upon us, who do you tip and how much?

Postman

Paper man

Hairdresser

Garbage men

those in support roles at work

 

Just curious?

 

Postal workers aren't allowed to accept gifts over $10. So, I get mine a $10 Starbucks gift card.

The paper guy gets $20. I must say, he's awesome. My paper is never late, and he never misses my house. He has to walk his route and never fails to do so, even in the ice storms. Plus, I usually see him when I'm out @ 4:30 taking my dog for a walk, and he has to put up with the Little Napolean growling and barking at him most mornings. :D

 

I don't have a hairdresser, so I can't say.

 

My garbage men rarely take all my garbage, and I have to leave notes on the can begging them to do so. When they do, they fling the can up the street so I have to go and retrieve it. So, they ain't gettin' nothin' from me.

 

And I have no support staff. But when I did, I got Christmas ornaments for each of them.

  • Author

Interesting comments so far.

the postman I've given a bottle of wine or small token, did not know about the $10.00 max

My paper mans car sounds like the mail man from the Chevy Chase movie 'Funny Farm' he comes early, but not often early enough. we gave him a $10 certificate last year. If it snows the Enquirer gives me a 1 day freebie. It's very hard to read.

Hairdresser, my wife is one and gets some very nice gifts from her regulars.

garbage men, I'll see him in the summer and give him a $10 to buy lunch a few times a year. He would take a dead cow from me. He is the best!

I gift my customer support folks (I'm in sales, they process the orders) $20-$25 each year. I have 2-3 of them. My new ones are horrible so they may get less.

My office support used to get $50 to bath and body works, she did a great job this year. I'm going with a $100 gift card since I maxed my number this year.

I fixed that for you. :D

 

:lol: Nice. What's amazing to me is the fact that they're still actually made.

Postman - they probably make more money then most on this board. If someone makes more money then me I don't tip them.

 

Paperboy - I don't get a paper but if I did probably wouldn't tip.

 

Barber - I usually try to tip a couple of bucks every time

 

Garbage Men - Nope.

 

Support people I work with - Haven't ever thought about it but now that I have...no.

 

I don't tip people for doing their job except when tips are usually a big part of their pay.

 

I've actually always heard that the garbage men make a pretty healthy wage. Anyone on here know one personally to have an idea whether or not that's true?

My garbage pickup is picked up by the jail birds from the county jail, so no tips. Plus the are very inconsistent. But i try to always tip well to wait staff, valets, casino dealers, etc.

I've actually always heard that the garbage men make a pretty healthy wage. Anyone on here know one personally to have an idea whether or not that's true?

In our town the local government handles sanitation. They are not paid a healthy wage. I have private sanitation since I live in the county but I cannot imagine it being a substantial amount.

 

You always hear of a lot shady dealings with sanitation workers. For example, give them a little extra money and they may pick up more efficiently or an extra bag or two sitting by the collection can.

I was always under the impression Sanitation guys made around 18/hour so about 35K. I don't know how true that is.

How much do you think they make? My brother is one and I can't imagine he's making more than $50k to $60k.

 

One of my best friends is one and his base is close to $50k and with overtime he makes $70k-$80k. And since our post office is like under staffed like most he gets as much OT as he wants. Alot of times he gets OT he doesn't want.

 

I have a good buddy that is a postman as well over Newport and between his salary and overtime, he's bringing home around 80k a year.

I always tip sanitation guys, mail carrier, recycling guy, and school traffic guard. Usually something like a box of candy or a $5-$10 gift certificate.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.