December 20, 201015 yr He is in the top 10 in carries this year. Other than an OL what more does he want? Most situations won't even be that good with everyone going with 2 RBs these days. *Bengals run vs pass plays per game 2010: 25.6 runs, 37 passes 2009: 31.5 runs, 29 passes I got this from Lance's blog: My guess is he wants them to run 1st to set up the pass like they did when they won 10 games. I know they've been behind a lot more this year but I think the team made an effort to pass a lot more because of their shiny new toys rather than going with what worked the year before.
December 20, 201015 yr * I know they've been behind a lot more this year but I think the team made an effort to pass a lot more because of their shiny new toys rather than going with what worked the year before. Bingo. That has been my T.O. argument. He has been a nice addition, but they have made a habit of trying to target him way too much.
December 20, 201015 yr *Bengals run vs pass plays per game 2010: 25.6 runs, 37 passes 2009: 31.5 runs, 29 passes I got this from Lance's blog: My guess is he wants them to run 1st to set up the pass like they did when they won 10 games. I know they've been behind a lot more this year but I think the team made an effort to pass a lot more because of their shiny new toys rather than going with what worked the year before. Bingo. That has been my T.O. argument. He has been a nice addition, but they have made a habit of trying to target him way too much. I really don't think it matters to much. Lets not forget we were one or two plays away from starting last year 1 and 4, instead of 4 and 1. They found ways to win games at the end last year, and most of the times those were with the pass at the end of the game when people knew we were passing. However ever since the 1st half of last season, this team has sucked in close games. That has nothing to do with them not running the ball as much as last year IMO. Just like last year we had chances to win basically every game this year at the end. However this team just does not know how to find ways to win, they find ways to lose. Its just a bad team, and it starts with the coaching.
December 20, 201015 yr I don't believe there was a change in offensive philosophy. I think the fact is the Bengals have not been very good running the ball this year. Add to that the fact they have played from behind almost all season as was stated above and it is clear why there are fewer runs per game this season. I think this is one of those stats that viewed in a vacuum seem to make a point but when you look at the whole picture, it means little. The Bengals IMO wanted to run the ball as much this year as they did last year. They just weren't very good at it this year. The key stat that points this out is Benson averaging only 3.6 yards per carry.
December 20, 201015 yr Bingo. That has been my T.O. argument. He has been a nice addition, but they have made a habit of trying to target him way too much. I believe 11 of Palmer's first 17 INT's were intended for TO.
December 21, 201015 yr *Bengals run vs pass plays per game 2010: 25.6 runs, 37 passes 2009: 31.5 runs, 29 passes I got this from Lance's blog: My guess is he wants them to run 1st to set up the pass like they did when they won 10 games. I know they've been behind a lot more this year but I think the team made an effort to pass a lot more because of their shiny new toys rather than going with what worked the year before. As someone else said, the stats are skewed this year since they were behind all the time and throwing to catch up. Not sure what Benson wants, but I saw the vast majority of possessions being off tackle right, off tackle left, incomplete pass, punt (providing no interception or fumble had occurred)!! OL has stunk all year. Edited December 21, 201015 yr by StickerMann add
December 21, 201015 yr I don't believe there was a change in offensive philosophy. I think the fact is the Bengals have not been very good running the ball this year. Add to that the fact they have played from behind almost all season as was stated above and it is clear why there are fewer runs per game this season. I think this is one of those stats that viewed in a vacuum seem to make a point but when you look at the whole picture, it means little. The Bengals IMO wanted to run the ball as much this year as they did last year. They just weren't very good at it this year. The key stat that points this out is Benson averaging only 3.6 yards per carry. If you don't think there was a change in philosiphy why did they sign two huge free agent wide receivers and draft a TE in the first round and a WR in the 3rd a year after drafting a pass catching TE in the 3rd round of last years draft?
December 21, 201015 yr If you don't think there was a change in philosiphy why did they sign two huge free agent wide receivers and draft a TE in the first round and a WR in the 3rd a year after drafting a pass catching TE in the 3rd round of last years draft? Their receivers sucked last year. You sign players where you have a weakness. Should they have signed another RB or CB? The fact is Benson is in the top 10 in the NFL in carries and he is averaging 3.6 yards per carry. They are giving him the ball but the results aren't there. They got results against the Browns because they can't stop the run. The Bengals gave Benson the ball even more because they had the lead in the game. I have no doubt the Bengals wanted to run the ball much more than they did this year but results and game situations did not allow it. Based on the win, you have to believe the Bengals are going to do everything they can to run it the next two weeks, right? Let's see how they look running it the last two games against two teams that know how to stop the run. If the Bengals fall behind like they have in virtually every game this year, I will be surprised if Benson gets 20 carries in either game.
December 21, 201015 yr Their receivers sucked last year. You sign players where you have a weakness. Should they have signed another RB or CB? The fact is Benson is in the top 10 in the NFL in carries and he is averaging 3.6 yards per carry. They are giving him the ball but the results aren't there. They got results against the Browns because they can't stop the run. The Bengals gave Benson the ball even more because they had the lead in the game. I have no doubt the Bengals wanted to run the ball much more than they did this year but results and game situations did not allow it. Based on the win, you have to believe the Bengals are going to do everything they can to run it the next two weeks, right? Let's see how they look running it the last two games against two teams that know how to stop the run. If the Bengals fall behind like they have in virtually every game this year, I will be surprised if Benson gets 20 carries in either game. If your'e built to play good D and run without commiting turnovers do you really need 4 of your 5 biggest moves to be pass catchers? They thought they couldn't beat good teams running the ball and playing good D so they changed IMO. I'm not saying they don't want to run the ball. I am saying they made an effort to throw it more.
December 21, 201015 yr If your'e built to play good D and run without commiting turnovers do you really need 4 of your 5 biggest moves to be pass catchers? They thought they couldn't beat good teams running the ball and playing good D so they changed IMO. I'm not saying they don't want to run the ball. I am saying they made an effort to throw it more. One of the biggest problems with the team last year was when the needed to pass the ball in clutch situations down the stretch, they couldn't after Chris Henry went out. They needed pass catchers who could help open up Chad, the problem is that the O-line has been horrid so the running game has suffered AND pass protection has been bad. Not to say Palmer hasn't been bad too, he has but it starts at the line.
December 21, 201015 yr One of the biggest problems with the team last year was when the needed to pass the ball in clutch situations down the stretch, they couldn't after Chris Henry went out. They needed pass catchers who could help open up Chad, the problem is that the O-line has been horrid so the running game has suffered AND pass protection has been bad. Not to say Palmer hasn't been bad too, he has but it starts at the line. The team that had problems won 10 games and swept the division. Their way of trying to fix a problem that didn't need as much help as they thought was drafting pass catchers with two of their first three picks and signing two more in free agency. There is no way to convince me they didn't want to throw it more.
December 21, 201015 yr What does any fan from Cleveland, much less a Browns fan, have to be obnoxious about. Try winning something first. :lol: What have the Bengals under Mike Brown have ever won? And, please don't say two division titles. Try winning a playoff game. Yes, I am a Browns fan and not all Browns fans are obnoxious. The Browns will eventually "right the ship" under Mike Holmgren as team President. The following two statements are if I have said it once I have said it a thousand times. 1. If division titles and playoff wins don't happen under Mike Holmgren, then Cleveland truly is cursed. And, 2. The Bengals will never win a playoff game with Mike Brown in control of that franchise.
December 21, 201015 yr The team that had problems won 10 games and swept the division. Their way of trying to fix a problem that didn't need as much help as they thought was drafting pass catchers with two of their first three picks and signing two more in free agency. There is no way to convince me they didn't want to throw it more. The offseason moves went well, I thought. It's just that they did not need to change to a pass-first team. Last year was a struggle at times because Coles & Coats simply could not catch a pass. We replaced them with very talented players, but changed our philosophy to appease those players (or use them more frequently). Didn't work. It's time to go back to a run 1st, play D type of game plan.
December 21, 201015 yr The offseason moves went well, I thought. It's just that they did not need to change to a pass-first team. Last year was a struggle at times because Coles & Coats simply could not catch a pass. We replaced them with very talented players, but changed our philosophy to appease those players (or use them more frequently). Didn't work. It's time to go back to a run 1st, play D type of game plan. I totally agree (except I wouldn't have drafted a TE in the 1st round). I think Mike Brown listened to all the "experts" claiming this is a pass first league so he jumped in with both feet. All of those experts failed to mention that once again Manning couldn't win a Super Bowl and the Jets with a rookie QB and great running game almost made the SB. The Bengals changed something that didn't need changing. The passing game needed help but not a makeover because they didn't need to pass it too much to be successful.
December 21, 201015 yr I totally agree (except I wouldn't have drafted a TE in the 1st round). I think Mike Brown listened to all the "experts" claiming this is a pass first league so he jumped in with both feet. All of those experts failed to mention that once again Manning couldn't win a Super Bowl and the Jets with a rookie QB and great running game almost made the SB. The Bengals changed something that didn't need changing. The passing game needed help but not a makeover because they didn't need to pass it too much to be successful. I would have drafted an O-lineman in the 1st round, but I had no problem with them taking Gresham. He's actually played fairly well this season despite his inability to take care of the football.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.