Teacher Tosses Students For Not Supporting Homosexuality

Birdsfan

A teacher at Howell High School was suspended for a day, after forcing two students to leave his classroom. On that particular day, students were wearing purple shirts as part of a national effort to oppose the bullying of gay and lesbian students. The teacher noticed that a third student was wearing a Confederate belt buckle. He asked her to remove it -- which she did. At that point, one of the two ejected students raised his hand and asked how her self-expression using the buckle was different than those wearing purple shirts.

The teacher stated his views on the subject, then asked the student if it had changed his mind. He said no, that his religious beliefs were against homosexuality. He was then told to leave the classroom. The second student, who spoke in his defense, was also ejected.

This sounds like the ultimate in hypocrisy, and that the teacher was using his power to make a political statement. How can anyone support what this teacher did?

Full Story

I know I will.

Somehow, I doubt it.

The ACLU probably won't get involved in this . If this were reversed they would be there in a minute.

Hogwash. The ACLU has been known on multiple occasions to defend KKK and neo-Nazi, as well as other unpopular or non-PC groups' free speech interests.

This teacher is a clown. He should be suspended for longer than a day.

How do schools generally handle suspending teachers? Do they hire a new teacher? Pay a substitute teacher? Do other teachers just "pick up an extra shift", so to speak?

I haven't read the article, but it seems that the teacher was out of line. I'm not arguing against the suspension, just curious as to the trickle-down effect of a suspension.

Interestingly enough, this would be a situation where the ACLU would be involved. I wonder if folks will still have all the nasty things they usually say about the ACLU when they do get involved. :popcorn:
Personally, I despise the ACLU, but every once in a while they actually do some good rather than harm.

How do schools generally handle suspending teachers? Do they hire a new teacher? Pay a substitute teacher? Do other teachers just "pick up an extra shift", so to speak?

I haven't read the article, but it seems that the teacher was out of line. I'm not arguing against the suspension, just curious as to the trickle-down effect of a suspension.

I would assume a substitute or others that can would fill in, but I'll leave that up to some of our resident teachers to answer since I don't really know for sure.