Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach Cal...Scum or Not Scum?????

Featured Replies

  • Replies 48
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as he keeps bringing in #1 recruiting classes the people in the Commonwealth will overlook all scum-like qualities he may possess.

But God help him if he leaves Kentucky the way he did Memphis St., or how Ricky left UK for Boston. Then his name is synonymous with mud in yours and most every other UK fan's eyes?

 

I don't disagree with your assessment of most UK fans & their views of Pitino. But if the shoe were on the other foot, would not fans of other programs feel that way?

Actually, I thought Pitino was scum before and after he came to Louisville, and the Sypher thing didn't change anything. He's still a scumbag.

 

Was that because of the way he left UK or because he came to UL though? I just meant that a coach at a school that he took a job at will likely not be thought of as scum by fans of that school, but that others, especially fans from the school he left, will have more of a tendency to think that.

As long as he keeps bringing in #1 recruiting classes the people in the Commonwealth will overlook all scum-like qualities he may possess.

 

To an extent, I agree. But those #1 classes will soon not matter much if Cal doesn't, at the very least, get to a Final Four. Right now, his recruiting success is feeding a craving that fans have long-desired.

 

I'll go on record & say that if Cal doesn't make the final four this year or the next, the natives will get restless.

To an extent, I agree. But those #1 classes will soon not matter much if Cal doesn't, at the very least, get to a Final Four. Right now, his recruiting success is feeding a craving that fans have long-desired.

 

I'll go on record & say that if Cal doesn't make the final four this year or the next, the natives will get restless.

 

I'd say next year he needs to or they'll go crazy. Fans will look at anything less than a Final Four (or title game) appearance as a big failure for next year's squad.

As for the thread topic....I see Coach Cal as a pretty good guy from all accounts I've heard, however I always have and always will continue to hold my breath with his coaching and recruiting tactics. I think he walks a very fine line with regards to rules, etc., and all in all I see him as being sketchy.

 

I'm not like most UK fans and am not naive enough to believe he didn't know about the Camby situation. Maybe he didn't, but I find it way too hard to believe. The Memphis/D. Rose situation was one that IMO was out of his hands. He was cleared to play, so he played him.

 

The major difference I see between Cal and Saban (other than the obvious titles Saban has), is that Cal was upfront about his interest in the UK job from all accounts I've seen. He told his players and the Memphis admin. that he was going to listen as UK was his "dream job". Never said I'm staying put, or that I'm leaving, but that he would listen and go from there.

As for the thread topic....I see Coach Cal as a pretty good guy from all accounts I've heard, however I always have and always will continue to hold my breath with his coaching and recruiting tactics. I think he walks a very fine line with regards to rules, etc., and all in all I see him as being sketchy.

 

I'm not like most UK fans and am not naive enough to believe he didn't know about the Camby situation. Maybe he didn't, but I find it way too hard to believe. The Memphis/D. Rose situation was one that IMO was out of his hands. He was cleared to play, so he played him.

 

The major difference I see between Cal and Saban (other than the obvious titles Saban has), is that Cal was upfront about his interest in the UK job from all accounts I've seen. He told his players and the Memphis admin. that he was going to listen as UK was his "dream job". Never said I'm staying put, or that I'm leaving, but that he would listen and go from there.

 

On the last paragraph, when Memphis' team plane landed after their 2009 tourney loss, Cal was asked by reporters about the UK job & he denied any interest. A Memphis reporter was at his presser being introduced as UK coach & she called him out on it. He danced around it, but was caught for sure.

 

My opinion is that all of the guys (football & basketball) at the top programs are dirty. Does this make them "scum" as individuals? I don't think so. Some of them are & some of them aren't. Most of them use their wealth & give back to communities, so I see that as a good thing.

I'd say next year he needs to or they'll go crazy. Fans will look at anything less than a Final Four (or title game) appearance as a big failure for next year's squad.

 

Completely agree. There's so much buildup to next year already. If there's no Final Four, a significant portion of the UK fanbase will be very agitated.

On the last paragraph, when Memphis' team plane landed after their 2009 tourney loss, Cal was asked by reporters about the UK job & he denied any interest. A Memphis reporter was at his presser being introduced as UK coach & she called him out on it. He danced around it, but was caught for sure.

 

My opinion is that all of the guys (football & basketball) at the top programs are dirty. Does this make them "scum" as individuals? I don't think so. Some of them are & some of them aren't. Most of them use their wealth & give back to communities, so I see that as a good thing.

 

I thought he said something along the lines of "I'm happy here at Memphis...". While you could infer that as him saying he's not interested, I don't recall him ever denying any interest. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, I just don't recall him ever doing so.

Coach Cal contract timeline

 

Found this article to be interesting. A timeline of Coach Cal's time at Memphis. Seems to me that he was pretty straightforward his entire time there and honest. The exact quote we've been referring to Randy is included..."This (Memphis) is where I want to coach...". Pretty good job of avoiding the question if you ask me. :lol:

Was that because of the way he left UK or because he came to UL though? I just meant that a coach at a school that he took a job at will likely not be thought of as scum by fans of that school, but that others, especially fans from the school he left, will have more of a tendency to think that.

 

As a Cardinal fan, how Pitino left UK has zero to do with my opinion of him. I just don't care for him and never have.

I thought he said something along the lines of "I'm happy here at Memphis...". While you could infer that as him saying he's not interested, I don't recall him ever denying any interest. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, I just don't recall him ever doing so.

 

 

He starts out as though he's going to say, "No, I'm not leaving" but ends up saying, "No, I'm not...You know, I want to be here. This is where I want to coach. My name will be tied to every job that's open and our fans, I think, have gotten used to it."

 

The more interesting video is when the Memphis reporter calls him on the carpet during his introductory UK press conference. After the question Cal says, "Did I say that?" and then proceeds to dance around the question.

On the denying interest, I give coaches a lot of leeway there. If your coworkers asked you if you were looking for a new job, would you be 100% honest? Even Tubby said he'd be back at UK right before he left.

 

I'm a little tougher on them when they get adamant they're not leaving, and then do. But if they dance around, or don't give firm answers, its hard to fault them.

I think you have to leave out any "reports" of i'm staying or i'm not interested in that job. They can't say that, and at the end of the day they shouldn't. I'm in line for a job right now that would be a nice promotion and paycheck. Everyone seems to think I'm a cinch to get it...what if I don't though? I still have a house, cars, family. I have to take care of myself. You guys read way to much in to them saying they aren't interested. It is a lose-lose for them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.