Owensboro Catholic @ Ft. Campbell predictions

buffalo kid

What do you think?

I didn't see either team play last week, but from what has been said on here and in talking to people that saw both teams, Fort Campbell's secondary is quicker than Trigg's and they play more of a zone defense which allows them to break on the ball, much like what Winklepeck does for Owensboro Catholic. If the Aces can't run any better against Fort Campbell than they did Trigg, they won't score the same 35 points. Fort Campbell's line is about the same size as Trigg's but quicker. They let Johnson roam free in the middle at LB. For Owensboro Catholic to win, their depth must take over like it did against Trigg. Fort Campbell also plays a lot of people both ways. If the Aces have the lead going into the fourth quarter, they should win. I think Owensboro Catholic will face the scheme with athletes that Trigg should have played last week -- rush four, double team the receivers, and let the linebackers stop the run. I expect another 14-7 game like two years ago. That was one of the best HS games I've seen in person.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Martin that was at UL is in Owensboro coaching, I think the other is at UK but as a walkon and might not even be playing. Mcgraw is not playing at UK anymore. So that leaves Lanham who is not playing this year and I don't know about the future, Millay who I have no idea about, and Barnard.

Gabe Wallace will be returning to UK next year from I have heard.

They may not be playing now, but they were good enough to make a college roster out of high school, something the Aces faithful think only goes on at Fort Campbell. When you Google Owensboro Catholic, it's amazing how many college football rosters it directs you to.

I didn't see either team play last week, but from what has been said on here and in talking to people that saw both teams, Fort Campbell's secondary is quicker than Trigg's and they play more of a zone defense which allows them to break on the ball, much like what Winklepeck does for Owensboro Catholic. If the Aces can't run any better against Fort Campbell than they did Trigg, they won't score the same 35 points. Fort Campbell's line is about the same size as Trigg's but quicker. They let Johnson roam free in the middle at LB. For Owensboro Catholic to win, their depth must take over like it did against Trigg. Fort Campbell also plays a lot of people both ways. If the Aces have the lead going into the fourth quarter, they should win. I think Owensboro Catholic will face the scheme with athletes that Trigg should have played last week -- rush four, double team the receivers, and let the linebackers stop the run. I expect another 14-7 game like two years ago. That was one of the best HS games I've seen in person.

The key for Catholic is definately how good they can run the ball. It will be needed to take pressure off of the pass game. Catholic did have a little of success running some toss plays late against Trigg so we will see how that works out.

I still don't understand why Trigg ran man coverage. I agree that Fort Campbell will run more zone because reagrdless of how good of athletes you have no player can cover a receiver for as long as Trigg was having to.

I don't know if I can take another game like two years ago, it was so up and down.

Since everyone is comparing scores to the Trigg game, lets compare scores to other common opponents.

Fort Campbell 14 Trigg County 7 (fourth game of year)

Owensboro Cath. 35 Trigg County 23

Fort Campbell 55 Heath 6

Owensboro Cath. 58 Heath 18

Fort Campbell 58 Edmonson Co. 0

Owensboro Cath. 43 Edmonson Co. 29

Going to be a great game, get there early!

Owensboro Catholic vs. Fort Campbell

Regional Titles since 1959

Owensboro Catholic 3 (including last two straight)

Fort Campbell 5 (2 in 1A; and 3 in 2A. The last one in 1995)

Playoff History Since 1980

2003 (Regional Finals) Catholic 14-7

2002 (First Round) Catholic 49-6

1995 (Regional Finals) Fort Campbell 21-14

1993 (First Round) #4 seed Fort Campbell 13-6

The key for Catholic is definately how good they can run the ball. It will be needed to take pressure off of the pass game. Catholic did have a little of success running some toss plays late against Trigg so we will see how that works out.

I still don't understand why Trigg ran man coverage. I agree that Fort Campbell will run more zone because reagrdless of how good of athletes you have no player can cover a receiver for as long as Trigg was having to.

I don't know if I can take another game like two years ago, it was so up and down.

Not sure what the reasoning was, but I would have gave Ijames more carries against Trigg. Would like to see them mix it up more this week between him and Kamuf. He is averaging over 7 yds a carry, give him the ball!

Not sure what the reasoning was, but I would have gave Ijames more carries against Trigg. Would like to see them mix it up more this week between him and Kamuf. He is averaging over 7 yds a carry, give him the ball!

The thing is that we don't know went on during practice. The other thing is the players have to be role players. If the coaches tell him to block then he blocks. Evan Wright didn't get the ball much either.

The thing is that we don't know went on during practice. The other thing is the players have to be role players. If the coaches asked him to block then he blocks. Evan Wright didn't get the ball much either.

As small as Wright is I can't imagine letting him have many carries this week either. A matchup one on one between he and Johnson could get ugly

The thing is that we don't know went on during practice. The other thing is the players have to be role players. If the coaches asked him to block then he blocks. Evan Wright didn't get the ball much either.

That's true...he could have had the dropsies in practice. He is one heck of a blocker.

Houston got hit hard against Trigg and he had trouble hanging on to the ball. FC will be no different so Houston better be ready. From the stands it looks like Wright is the most fearless and when he gets the ball he doesn't care if he gets hit. Wright is the guttiest player on the field. I am unsure of how many rush yards the Aces had against Trigg but I know every one of them seemed to be a struggle. The Aces may have to set up the run with pass this week to get the offense going. Trigg ran inside man coverage. If FC does the same then the Aces may not have to run. OCath's o and d- lines proved a lot against a good Trigg team but they'll have to do the same this friday to get the win. IMO Johnson is not the key to the game, it's the other FC running backs. This is not a knock on Johnson, but the other guys can make his night that much easier.