Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Any Advice?

Featured Replies

My daughter, who is a senior, was recently cut from her high school varsity basketball team. The coach's reason was that she did not have the "skill set" to be a varsity basketball player. Their JV coach gave her most improved JV player award last year. She has played AAU ball the last few years. She has letters from 15 colleges that are interested in her playing college basketball and the same week that she was cut, she went on a college visit. She has another college visit scheduled next Friday and she is trying to schedule two more. Several of these 15 colleges want copies of her schedule so they can come watch her play. What is she supposed to say to these college coaches?

  • Replies 48
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter' date=' who is a senior, was recently cut from her high school varsity basketball team. The coach's reason was that she did not have the "skill set" to be a varsity basketball player. Their JV coach gave her most improved JV player award last year. She has played AAU ball the last few years. She has letters from 15 colleges that are interested in her playing college basketball and the same week that she was cut, she went on a college visit. She has another college visit scheduled next Friday and she is trying to schedule two more. Several of these 15 colleges want copies of her schedule so they can come watch her play. What is she supposed to say to these college coaches?[/quote']

 

Did she play any varsity last year? I am not sure of the rules, but if she did not play varsity, I would think she would be able to transfer to a program where she could play. I think I would talk to the high school coach, there has to be more to the story.

Certainly a tough situation for a senior who wants to play. It's interesting that she played JV last year but colleges are interested. Is she tall? Can I ask what colleges are showing interest?

 

Most importantly this is why we get paid lots of dollars to be parents. It's times like these that we have to be at our best.

You need to check into the KHSAA rule about transferring. I think that if she didn't play varsity in any sport last year that she may be able to transfer to another program and would be eligible to play. I would definitely check into it especially since she has 15 colleges interested in her. Good luck.

You need to check into the KHSAA rule about transferring. I think that if she didn't play varsity in any sport last year that she may be able to transfer to another program and would be eligible to play. I would definitely check into it especially since she has 15 colleges interested in her. Good luck.

 

I'd hate to see a kid transfer in her senior season just to play basketball. You simply can't replace the high school experience with your friends. If the girl is truly good enough to play in college she'll play in college.

Don't know the circumstances but...isnt it amazing how a coach can influence a kids life. Some good but some that can have negative lasting impressions. As parents it is so hard to see this happen. Good Luck and I can totally relate but fortunately my daughter was alot younger and it was an easier transition.

I would schedule a meeting with the coach and the AD to find out if there is more to the story...if a kid is getting recruited by multiple colleges it's hard to imagine any team is good enough to cut a player for "lack of skill-set"...

 

I agree with the above comment about only playing JV her junior year...she must have had a great summer to now be getting recruited by 15 colleges. I know this won't help you now, but if she can play, she'll be okay.

I'd hate to see a kid transfer in her senior season just to play basketball. You simply can't replace the high school experience with your friends. If the girl is truly good enough to play in college she'll play in college.

 

It was just a suggestion. It is hard to sit back and let a coach do this to a kid when you are a parent. I would also request a meeting with the coach and AD to find out exactly what the problem is.

I would seriously look at the attitude and demeanor of the kid. There is definitely something wrong with this story. A lot of colleges will stop talking to you if your attitude is bad,(ex.- bad teammate,etc...).

I'd talk to the coach. It might be time to hang up the high tops.

There is more to this? Colleges don't look at Juniors that have a primary role as a JV player unless the kid is extremely tall and they feel they can teach her the rest. Something missing here.

  • Author

She played both JV and Varsity her Sophomore and Junior year, but mostly JV. In any case, wouldn't her Varsity play make it hard to transfer her by KHSAA rules? Besides, aren't tryouts finished for most teams now? She would transfer, if she could, even with this being her Senior year. She knows girls in most of the schools in our area because of her AAU ball.

 

I have met with the coach and AD. Coach said the same thing, that she was cut for lack of "skill set" and that she put the best people on the team that she thought she had. I asked how that was possible when she cut a possible college recruit and why would she deny a child's chance to go to college? The AD told me that it was the coach's job to develop the program, not the person.

 

She has an awesome attitude and demeanor, even with all of this going on. She is strong and determined. She has a personal trainer that she has worked with for over a year now and she will keep working. Sorry "Hang up the high tops" is not in her vocabulary.

My reply to the AD would be that by developing the player you ARE developing the program. This is one of the oddest stories I have ever heard. I still can't believe their isn't something else involved here. How good is this high school team? Very few teams are good enough to cut a player of this caliber if their are truly this many colleges interested. Very strange, indeed.

If this is a NKY school, unless it's Ryle or Boone (because of the talent those teams have), it is strange.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.