Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Apathetic High School Sports Scene in Lexington and Central KY

Featured Replies

Is there a more apathetic high school sports scene than Lexington and the surrounding area? I'm not talking about quality of play which is solid. I'm talking about pure lack of support and interest.

 

I've been to many games in the area and I'm always stunned at how few people are in attendance.

 

Does UK get all of the attention and not the local boys?

I'm not sure your statements are wholly accurate. Lexington, perhaps...but go down to Boyle County, or Danville, or some other Central KY schools, and you'll see plenty of fans in the seats...

Is there a more apathetic high school sports scene than Lexington and the surrounding area? I'm not talking about quality of play which is solid. I'm talking about pure lack of support and interest.

 

I've been to many games in the area and I'm always stunned at how few people are in attendance.

 

Does UK get all of the attention and not the local boys?

 

This is a pretty broad statement - can you give examples? (Games, type of lack of support (ie No fans, cheering, ect)

Just a guess, but my thought is that the dominance of Louisville schools in 6A, with NKY 6A next in the pecking order, have left many Lexington fair-weather-fans disinterested.

Just a guess, but my thought is that the dominance of Louisville schools in 6A, with NKY 6A next in the pecking order, have left many Lexington fair-weather-fans disinterested.

 

Maybe that's an indication that fans have lost all perspective. I'm only supposed to go support my boys IF they have a chance to make the playoffs or win the crown? What happened to the "community" aspect of high school sports?

If you attend a game in our area, you see 1500-2500 fans attending home football games. On the road, we often take around 500-1000. Not a problem in small communities. Give examples of who you are speaking of...

I'm not sure your statements are wholly accurate. Lexington, perhaps...but go down to Boyle County, or Danville, or some other Central KY schools, and you'll see plenty of fans in the seats...

 

I don't know about that...Boyle maybe (I've never been to one of their games), but here in recent years, Danville (unless it's a rivalry game) hasen't exactly packed the house.

I don't know about that...Boyle maybe (I've never been to one of their games), but here in recent years, Danville (unless it's a rivalry game) hasen't exactly packed the house.

 

Yeah the thread should be Lexington only. From what I've seen Clark Co, Madison Central, Scott Co, the Jessamine schools, etc all have great support from their communities. In general a decent amount of people come for inner-city basketball games, but the fans don't really travel at all.

Maybe that's an indication that fans have lost all perspective. I'm only supposed to go support my boys IF they have a chance to make the playoffs or win the crown? What happened to the "community" aspect of high school sports?

I think "Community" is the key word for Lexington. There really isn't the same feeling of community that you see at a county school.

Maybe that's an indication that fans have lost all perspective. I'm only supposed to go support my boys IF they have a chance to make the playoffs or win the crown? What happened to the "community" aspect of high school sports?

 

I know of many small communities that still support their local team regardless of whether they win or lose, but in a city the size of Lexington, where Basketball is king and horse racing is a close second, high school football might not be the venue of choice for many fans who are not either parents or diehard fans of a particular school. That coupled with the fact that the dominate 6A programs are in Louisville, might be a primary reason why attendance is down. Just a guess on my part.

I don't know about that...Boyle maybe (I've never been to one of their games), but here in recent years, Danville (unless it's a rivalry game) hasen't exactly packed the house.

 

How much of that might be because Danville has been down the last couple of years as compared to a few years ago?

I know of many small communities that still support their local team regardless of whether they win or lose, but in a city the size of Lexington, where Basketball is king and horse racing is a close second, high school football might not be the venue of choice for many fans who are not either parents or diehard fans of a particular school. That coupled with the fact that the dominate 6A programs are in Louisville, might be a primary reason why attendance is down. Just a guess on my part.

 

Maybe so, but I haven't been blown away by the size or the enthusiasm of the crowds at basketball games in Lexington in recent years. Not at all.

 

Clark County? A great big yes.

Scott County? Another great big yes.

 

But not the city schools. And if football is indeed playing third fiddle to basketball, I'm not surprised at the (real or perceived) lack of support.

Maybe the lack of attendance can be tied into the economy/travel? I know that isn't a really good excuse for driving across Lexington, but it could be a factor of taking the family out to a High School football game ($5/person, plus some snacks).

 

All the local games that I have been to here in the Lexington area all seemed to have at least 75% stadium filled, with excess standing around the track or standing in the general area near the end zones.

Maybe the lack of attendance can be tied into the economy/travel? I know that isn't a really good excuse for driving across Lexington, but it could be a factor of taking the family out to a High School football game ($5/person, plus some snacks).

 

All the local games that I have been to here in the Lexington area all seemed to have at least 75% stadium filled, with excess standing around the track or standing in the general area near the end zones.

 

That doesn't sound bad at all.

I know of many small communities that still support their local team regardless of whether they win or lose, but in a city the size of Lexington, where Basketball is king and horse racing is a close second, high school football might not be the venue of choice for many fans who are not either parents or diehard fans of a particular school. That coupled with the fact that the dominate 6A programs are in Louisville, might be a primary reason why attendance is down. Just a guess on my part.

 

Also in small towns, the game might be the biggest thing going. Here in Lexington there is a lot more to get into.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.