Class 3A Draft Alignment

Watusi

There is an enormous number of 3A schools in the eastern half of the state. Somebody from this side is going to have to be in D4, and thus, play the "western" schools in the playoffs. I know, nobody wants to do it, but somebody has to.

Looking at this breakdown of the districts (very rough, I know) then I don't think they could have arranged them any better, as far as placing teams together.

I also understand why they put Bell Co, et al in D4. The other 4 eastern districts are close in proximity and technically more eastern than most of the teams in Bell's new district.

But, if they wanted to rearrange it, one thing I think they could do differently is this...

Place Bourbon, Bath, Powell, Garrard and Estill in D4, and

Place Bell, Corbin, Casey, Wayne and McCreary in D5, and

Place Breathitt, Jackson, Knott, Morgan and Magoffin in D6, and

Place Mason, Lewis, Fleming, E.Carter and W.Carter in D7

In other words, switch D4 with D5; and also switch D6 with D7

Here is the current proposed breakdown, how would you have arranged it differently?

Why not put Garrard in D4, they play in a district with 3 of these teams already, move Bell County to D7 and put Jackson in D5. That would keep a county that borders on Virginia from having to play in the West Semi-State. Especially given that there is a good chance that Bell will be good enough to advance that far.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I were Bell Co, that would be the move I would push for if I was going to apply for a change.

However, I think it does increase the travel for all those teams in D7, increases the district travel for Bell, and probably increases the travel for Corbin and McCreary.

Bath County was the wildcard; I didn't know they would be playing up. Knowing that now, I would have made it look something like this:

District 1 – Fort Campbell, Heath, Paducah Tilghman, Trigg County, Webster County

District 2 – Adair County, Edmonson County, Hart County, Monroe County, South Warren

District 3 – Central, Elizabethtown, Henry County, Larue County, Western Hills

District 4 – Casey County, Garrard County, McCreary Central, Wayne County

District 5 – Bath County, Bourbon County, Fleming County, Lewis County, Mason County

District 6 – East Carter, Lawrence County, Magoffin County, Morgan County, West Carter

District 7 – Bell County, Breathitt County, Corbin, Estill County, Jackson County, Powell County

District 8 – Belfry, East Ridge, Knott County Central, Pike County Central, Sheldon Clark

I think this is a no brainer right here. GCHS, I was actually working on something just like this until I took a break and happened to see that you had already had this posted. IMHO, if geographic concerns are really that important to the KHSAA as they say they are, while at the same time, not worrying about having to pacify everyone by having 5 team districts for all, then this is definately the way to go.

I dont think Bell County and Corbin have to be the only ones to appeal the current district set-up are they? Can't their district and region "neighbors" throw up a red flag and say 'wait a minute' also?

I think this is a no brainer right here. GCHS, I was actually working on something just like this until I took a break and happened to see that you had already had this posted. IMHO, if geographic concerns are really that important to the KHSAA as they say they are, while at the same time, not worrying about having to pacify everyone by having 5 team districts for all, then this is definately the way to go.

I dont think Bell County and Corbin have to be the only ones to appeal the current district set-up are they? Can't their district and region "neighbors" throw up a red flag and say 'wait a minute' also?

I would think that they could as well.

There is an enormous number of 3A schools in the eastern half of the state. Somebody from this side is going to have to be in D4, and thus, play the "western" schools in the playoffs. I know, nobody wants to do it, but somebody has to.

Looking at this breakdown of the districts (very rough, I know) then I don't think they could have arranged them any better, as far as placing teams together.

I also understand why they put Bell Co, et al in D4. The other 4 eastern districts are close in proximity and technically more eastern than most of the teams in Bell's new district.

But, if they wanted to rearrange it, one thing I think they could do differently is this...

Here is the current proposed breakdown, how would you have arranged it differently?

Not sure KHSAA could have done much better than this? 3A may be the most evenly divided class as far as geopgraphic positioning goes.

Really the whole "East West" thing is a non factor to me. I do not recall any where seeing that the state was set up to have the "West" champ play the "East" champ. With Ky being much longer East to West than North to South that is how it normally works out, but I have no problem with districts they way they are, considering where the schools are, there isn't a much different way to do it.

Bell and Corbin being in district 4 and playing teams further west isn't really a big issue except for playoff travel. Bell to Thighlman and vices a versa would be a trip for only the strongest of fans and supporters. Actually Bell would probably fly over early on game day, instead of busing over the day before. :lol:

Based on this map I think it should be like this:

1 vs. 2

3 vs. 5

4 vs. 7

6 vs. 8

Not sure KHSAA could have done much better than this? 3A may be the most evenly divided class as far as geopgraphic positioning goes.

I personally think it's the worst, geographically it's flat out terrible for Districts 3 and 4. No matter who plays who, every first round playoff game will be well over a 2hr+ drive. A potential region final game with Louisville Central v.s Bell County, too? That is crazy!

GCHSUK9's proposal makes much, much, much, much more sense. Like I said before, the only reason the KHSAA wouldnt switch to that one is if they are concerned making sure that all districts have 5 teams. But, since other classes have 6 five team disticts, 1 four and 1 six team, then that shouldn't matter.

Corbin was in the west bracket for a period of time in the old Class 2A alignment ... the Redhounds came out of a weak western field in 2002 and got bombed by Breathitt County in the state championship game.

Bell Co. is another hour east of Corbin. I can't see this district remaining the way it is drawn up. I expect Bell will get moved out to the east, both will get moved or someone will move up to 4A or 5A. Bell would be the favorite from the east in 5A most years and they would be in a district with Harlan Co., Whitley Co., etc.

Bell Co. is another hour east of Corbin. I can't see this district remaining the way it is drawn up. I expect Bell will get moved out to the east, both will get moved or someone will move up to 4A or 5A. Bell would be the favorite from the east in 5A most years and they would be in a district with Harlan Co., Whitley Co., etc.

Good point. Never thought about Bell being able to jump to 5A if needed. Like you, though, I just cant believe that this current set up in 3A will hold up.

An hour? It's 35 miles southeast of Corbin on a four-lane divided highway. If it takes any longer than 40 minutes to get from Corbin to Bell then you might need to let someone else drive.:D

As for Bell asking to move up to 5A, that might happen. But if Bell petitions to play up and blames geography, then one would suspect the KHSAA would put them in 4A with Clay, Knox, and Rockcastle, all fairly close-by schools. And I don't think that's what they want.

An hour? It's 35 miles southeast of Corbin on a four-lane divided highway. If it takes any longer than 40 minutes to get from Corbin to Bell then you might need to let someone else drive.:D

As for Bell asking to move up to 5A, that might happen. But if Bell petitions to play up and blames geography, then one would suspect the KHSAA would put them in 4A with Clay, Knox, and Rockcastle, all fairly close-by schools. And I don't think that's what they want.

It takes about 50 minutes by car from my house to Bell High, take a bus about an hour.