Boyle County 63 Mercer County 14

toolaidback

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a Mercer fan here, when you looked at the field last night. you could tell who trained their boys for football and also its really not a huge difference in talent... its a mediocor coaching staff ex:Head coach and Offencive Coordinator etc... and the dedication just isnt their, and for Boyle to repeat, they have to minmize those turnovers but either way best of luck to Boyle Co. cause ill be rootin for both teams

I said it yesterday in the 'predictions' thread and knew it was not going to be a pretty night for the Titans. They are fundamentally weak and get blown off the ball on both sides. No blocking for the young, inexperienced QB Lewis, who still made plays when he had to run for his life all night long. Its a shame for these kids. I know alot of people may not believe it, but Mercer does have talent... they historically have. What's the main factor here? Marty Jaggers' 1st year at Mercer showed what hard work and knowledge would do. He started turning the team around that 1st year and then we all know what happened the 2nd year and I really don't want to stir that pot, so please let it go.

You've got Ellis, Burrus and Banks with incredible speed and can make things happen, but if you don't have a line that can block for them and if they don't know how to follow their blocker, well , then that is fundamentals isn't it?

I hate it for the kids!! I'm tired of Mercer County accepting mediocrity in any area. Our kids and our community deserve better! Hang in there Titans!!!

That is exactly what I saw last night. The line was pathetic.

as a Mercer fan here, when you looked at the field last night. you could tell who trained their boys for football and also its really not a huge difference in talent... its a mediocor coaching staff ex:Head coach and Offencive Coordinator etc... and the dedication just isnt their, and for Boyle to repeat, they have to minmize those turnovers but either way best of luck to Boyle Co. cause ill be rootin for both teams

I disagree on the talent statement. The line for Boyle is much, much more gifted than Mercer's. Skill players weren't too bad for the Titans but their defense was just as terrible as their offense. Scheme is part of it but I do think there is a big talent gap right now.

I agree with hatz...the line of scrimmage was dominated by the rebels. Have the Titans lifted weights? I saw good size out there. what kind of strength do those guys have?

Skill guys were ok...but to say there is not a huge difference in talent??? (Dawson was rolling guys)

Good luck to both.

Administration as a whole needs to know the importance of winning and what it takes to build a program. Not a good season every now and then, but build a PROGRAM. The superintedent and high school principal both have to go after the best of the best in every aspect, both teachers and coaches. We wouldn't want our kids to settle for mediocre teachers, so why would we settle for mediocre athletics? We shouldn't! The facilites are there, the athletes are there... so what is missing? Support - maybe? Knowledge - maybe? I dunno.

Did Mercers or one of their coaches get ejected for coming onto the field and cussing towards the Boyles players? This what I was told from a family member at the game. Thanks

If it did happen I never heard about it. I'm very good friends with the guys on the sticks, had dinner with one after the game and he never mentioned it. He would have if it happened IMO because it would have been on the sidelines where he was the whole game.

Coach Weaver lasted one day as Head Coach. After his meeting with Prinicpal Yates, he decided he didn't want to coach here. Can't blame him. The talent is there, it just needs to be coached. On another note though, you can't coach your team if you have to handle petty issues with parents everyday. Mercer needs parents who support the program, not just their kids. The community needs to be involved as well.

Mercer has the talent. I think that will start to show in the next year or two.

They haven't been the same since Jaggers was let go. That is easy to see.

From what I was told Weaver and Shadon Brown both had the Mercer job and they asked if they could bring their own coaches and they were told no. I cannot officially confirm that but that was the "word on the street".

I thought we had one turnover through 3 quarters. Did I miss a couple of turnovers somewhere?

A poster said it earlier, neither Weaver, Brown or any high caliber coach is going to come to Mercer as long as Yates is the high school principal. Coaches shouldn't have to deal with petty issues, but make an example out of a few, stand by what you told them the 1st time and eventually, the parents will see their griping doesn't do any good. It is a mindset that needs to change and the word TEAM definitely needs to be implanted in their heads. This isn't little league and little johnny joe isn't the star just for himself. This is where each guy depends on the other to do his job. Don't think Chuck Smith didn't have to put up with that when he first got to Boyle Co years ago, he did! But, he told them how it was going to be and either support the team or hit the road. Ya gotta have 'em and use 'em. Too many intimidated head coaches, especially if they know they won't get backed up by their principal. AND... you gotta show improvment and WIN and then people will think the coach actually knows what he is doing and leave him alone for the most part.

Ughhh.... so much to be done at Mercer. But I'll still stick by it, it can be done. Facilities, athletes and community support - even though parents can be more of a pain than a support at times, they do love their football. Imagine - if the job ever does come open again, a high school principal and superintendent who say "we're going after the best and we' going to build a program here because our kids deserve it". It takes commitment and support from them too.