Who Starts for the Reds in LF Opening Day 2011?

Who Starts in LF Opening Day 2011?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who Starts in LF Opening Day 2011?

• Jonny Gomes
    • Chris Heisey
    • LF by Committee
    • Jayson Werth
    • Carl Crawford
    • Other FA (please specify)

Based on the limited budget and my tendencies to think outside the box, I say Votto. Alonso is on the roster, making big bucks and cant play anywhere but first. Francisco is 'challenged' defensively and is not on the same timeline as Alonso. Votto is a team first guy and may be willing to make the move.

The reality is that you would never ask your best player to change positions........although Pete did several times to make room for the newcomers.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the limited budget and my tendencies to think outside the box, I say Votto. Alonso is on the roster, making big bucks and cant play anywhere but first. Francisco is 'challenged' defensively and is not on the same timeline as Alonso. Votto is a team first guy and may be willing to make the move.

The reality is that you would never ask your best player to change positions........although Pete did several times to make room for the newcomers.

That would be ideal...only time will tell whether he's willing to make the move.

We aren't really bringing up the whole Votto to LF thing again, are we?

I agree that Votto is married to first base here. However, just a thought, do you think that it ever enters his mind that perhaps left field is a good fit for him? For instance, how many years will he be an all-star behind Albert, Howard, and on the rare occasion, Fielder? And maybe that never enters his mind. And frankly, there is obviously gonna be more wear and tear on the body in LF vs. 1B, but Votto could essentially initiate a move of that ilk if he was so inclined.

I agree that Votto is married to first base here. However, just a thought, do you think that it ever enters his mind that perhaps left field is a good fit for him? For instance, how many years will he be an all-star behind Albert, Howard, and on the rare occasion, Fielder? And maybe that never enters his mind. And frankly, there is obviously gonna be more wear and tear on the body in LF vs. 1B, but Votto could essentially initiate a move of that ilk if he was so inclined.

It's already been stated that he is opposed to such a move. Don't see any reason he changes his mind for a guy that may be able to cut it at the major league level.

Brewers need to shed payroll and the Reds have plenty of pitching to get it done. Bruan will be the final piece to the puzzle IMO.

Braun is due.... 11:$4M, 12:$6M, 13:$8.5M, 14:$10M, 15:$12M

I'd be down. Only problem is I think we still need a dominant starter too. One more piece..